BN-800 as a New Stage in the Development of Fast Sodium-Cooled Reactors
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The role of fast reactors in a strategy for developing nuclear power in Russia because of the inevitable exhaustion of natural uranium deposits in the foreseeable future is discussed. The BN-800 reactor, which is under construction and incorporates unique solutions – greatly enhancing the safety of the reactor – to technical and constructional problems, is examined. Cost assessments taking account of the complete life cycle show that fast reactors could be no more expensive than the most widely reactors in the world – water-moderated water-cooled reactors.
Closing the BN-800 nuclear fuel cycle will make it possible to solve the problem of utilizing plutonium and actinides. This makes fast reactors safer for the environment.
- “Uranium 1999. Resources, production, and demand,” Joint Report by the NEA OECD and the IAEA, Paris (2000), pp. 237–245.
- A. V. Zrodnikov, V. M. Poplavskii, A. I. Kiryushin, et al., “Prospects for the development of fast nuclear reactors,” in: 3rd Scientific Conference of the Ministry of Atomic Energy on Nuclear Power - Status and Prospects, Moscow (2002), pp. 65–84.
- V. I. Matveev, V. M. Murogov, V. M. Poplavskii, et al., “Present-day concept of the development of fast sodium-cooled reactors,” Teploénerget., No. 5, 2–10 (1994).
- V. I. Matveev, A. N. Chebeskov, V. A. Cherny, et al., “Studies, development, and justification of core with zero sodium-void reactivity effect of the BN-800 reactor,” in: Proceedings of the International Topical Meeting on Sodium-Cooled Fast Reactor Safety, Obninsk, Russia, October 3-7, 1994, pp. 1-45- 1-59.
- “EFR benchmark on economic competitiveness,” in: A Joint Report by the CEA, France and Minatom, Russia (1996).
- J. Lake, “Principles of nuclear enregy of the 4th generation,” Nucl. News, Nov. 2000, p. 11.
- “Trends in the nuclear fuel cycle. Economic, environmental, and social aspects,” in: Rep. NEA OECD, Paris (2001), pp. 28–36.
- A. V. Zrodnikov, F. M. Mitenkov, V. M. Poplavsky, and A. I. Kiryushin, “State of the art and prospects of fast neutron reactors,” Nucl. Eng. Design, No. 173, 81–85 (1997).
- BN-800 as a New Stage in the Development of Fast Sodium-Cooled Reactors
Volume 96, Issue 6 , pp 386-390
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links