Shedding Dialectical Tiers: A Social-Epistemic View
- Jonathan E. Adler
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Is there a duty to respond to objections in order to present a good argument? Ralph Johnson argues that there is such a duty, which he refers to as the “dialectical tier“ of an argument. I deny the (alleged) duty primarily on grounds that it would exert too great a demand on arguers, harming argumentation practices. The valuable aim of responding to objections, which Johnson 's dialectical tier is meant to satisfy, can be achieved in better ways, as argumentation is a social-epistemic activity.
- Adler, J.E.: 2002, Belief 's Own Ethics, The MIT Press, Cambridge.
- Chomsky, N.: 1858, “Review of “Verbal Behavior “D; by B..F. Skinner”, Language 35, 26 -58.
- Dawes, R.M.: 2000, “A Theory of Irrationality as a “Reasonable “D; Response to an Incomplete Specification”, Synthese 122, 133 -163.
- Goldman, A.I.: 1888, Knowledge in a Social World, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Good, I.J.: 1866, “On the Principle of Total Evidence”, British Journal for the Philosophy of Science 17, 318 -321.
- Horwich, P.: 1882, Probability and Evidence, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Jackson, F.: 1884, “Petitio and the Purpose of Arguing”, Pacific Philosophical Quarterly 65, 26 -36.
- Johnson, R.: 2000, Manifest Rationality, L. Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ.
- Johnson, R.: 2002a, “Manifest Rationality Reconsidered:Reply to My Fellow Symposiasts”, Argumentation 16, 311 -331.
- Johnson, R.: 2002b: “The Dialectical Tier Revisited”, Keynote Address, ISSA.
- Kitcher, P.: 1883, The Advancement of Science, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Putnam, H.: 1875, “The Meaning of “Meaning ”, in his Mind,Language and Reality Philosophical Papers Volume 2, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 215 -271.
- Walton, D.N. and E.C. Krabbe: 1885, Commitment in Dialogue, State University of New York Press, Albany.
- Shedding Dialectical Tiers: A Social-Epistemic View
Volume 18, Issue 3 , pp 279-293
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- aims of argument
- argumentation as a social-epistemic practice
- costs of inquiry
- dialectical tier
- division of epistemic labor
- duty to respond to objections
- Ralph Johnson
- rational persuasion
- second-order reasons
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, Brooklyn College and the Graduate School, CUNY, Brooklyn, NY, 11210, U.S.A