Physicochemical Processes during Precipitation of Silica from Geothermal Brine
- V. V. Potapov
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Physicochemical properties of the silica–geothermal brine colloidal system are investigated. The reaction order and the rate constants for silica polymerization are determined, the radius of colloidal particles is measured, and their charge is estimated. The mechanism of coagulation and precipitation of colloidal silica by metal cations is experimentally studied. On the basis of the results obtained, a basic process to recover silica from the geothermal heat-transfer medium is designed.
- Kutepov, A.M., Latkin, A.S., Potapov, V.V. (2000) Motion of and Mass Transfer into a Liquid Droplet in the Swirling Flow of the Geothermal Medium. Teor. Osn. Khim. Tekhnol. 34: pp. 152
- Potapov, V.V., Karpov, G.A., Podverbnyi, V.M. (2002) Removal of Silica from Geothermal Brine. Teor. Osn. Khim. Tekhnol. 36: pp. 644
- Potapov, V.V., Electrochemical Treatment of Hydrothermal Heat-Transfer Medium before Back Pumping, Teploenergetika, 2002, no. 1, p. 38.
- Potapov, V.V. and Kashpura, V.N., Application of Colloidal Geothermal Silica for Sodium Silicate Production, Khim. Tekhnol., 2002, no. 4, p. 7.
- Marshall, W.L., Amorphous Silica Solubilities: I. Behavior in Aqueous Sodium Nitrate Solutions: 25-300°C 0-6 Molal, Geochim. Cosmochim. ActaPeople's/E1980}, vol. 44, p.?907.
- Iler, R.K. (1979) The Chemistry of Silica: Solubility, Polymerization, Colloid and Surface Properties, and Biochemistry of Silica. Wiley, New York
- Rothbaum, H.P., Rohde, A.G. (1979) Kinetics of Silica Polymerization and Deposition from Dilute Solutions between 5 and 180°C. J. Colloid Interface Sci. 71: pp. 533
- Fleming, B.A. (1986) Kinetics of Reaction between Silicic Acid and Amorphous Silica Surfaces in NaCl Solutions. J. Colloid Interface Sci. 110: pp. 40
- Babenkov, E.D. (1977) Ochistka vody koagulyantami. Nauka, Moscow
- Iler, R.K. (1975) Coagulation of Colloidal Silica by Calcium Ions, Mechanism, and Effect of Particle Size. J. Colloid Interface Sci. 53: pp. 476
- Physicochemical Processes during Precipitation of Silica from Geothermal Brine
Theoretical Foundations of Chemical Engineering
Volume 38, Issue 1 , pp 72-80
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- V. V. Potapov (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Geotechnological Research Center, Far East Division, Russian Academy of Sciences, Severo-Vostochnoe sh. 30, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskii, 683002, Russia