A new reusability metric for object-oriented software
- Judith Barnard
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Software reuse is big business. Managers of software houses know that reuse can bring financial rewards to their company, so long as effective reuse procedures are in place. Many companies are now starting their own reuse libraries. However, how can they decide what constitutes a resusable component? How can they measure the potential reusability of a component? And what guidelines can developers take to ensure they are developing reusable software? Through surveys and experiments, this paper identifies the factors relating to the reusability of code and presents a reusability metric for object-oriented software, suggesting that this could be used by software houses in their reuse programmes.
- C. Terry and D. Dikel. Reuse library standards aid users in setting up organisational reuse programs, Embedded Systems Programming Product News, 1996.
- Korson, T., McGregor, J.D. (1992) Technical criteria for the specification and evaluation of object-oriented libraries. Software Engineering Journal 7: pp. 85-92
- J.S. Poulin. Measuring software reusability, Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Reuse, November 1994.
- J.S. Poulin. The search for a general reusability metric, Proceedings of the Workshop on Reuse and the NASA Software Strategic Plan, Fairfax, VA, 24–27 September 1996.
- A. Wirfs-Brock and B. Wilkerson. Variables limit reusability, Journal of Object-Oriented Programming, May/June (1989).
- Caldiera, G., Basili, V.R. (1991) Identifying and qualifying reusable software components. IEEE Computer 24: pp. 61-70
- Barnard, J. (1997) Discussion and survey of reusability metrics. Department of Computer Science, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK
- Chidamber, S., Kemerer, C. (1994) A metrics suite for object-oriented design. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering 20: pp. 476-493
- R. Prieto-Diaz and P. Freeman. Classifying software for reusability, IEEE Software, January 1987.
- Selby, R.W. Quantitative studies of software reuse. In: Biggerstaff, T.J., Perlis, A.J. eds. (1989) Software Reusability. Addison-Wesley, Reading MA
- A new reusability metric for object-oriented software
Software Quality Journal
Volume 7, Issue 1 , pp 35-50
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Judith Barnard (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Computing, The Open University, Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA, UK