Physicochemical and nutrient evaluation of African bush mango (Irvingia gabonensis) seeds and pulp
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Physicochemical and nutrient evaluations of African bush mango seeds and pulp were conducted. The seeds contained 3.36%, 7.70%, 65.46%, 2.26%, 10.23% and 10.93% of moisture, crude protein, crude fat, mineral ash, crude fiber and carbohydrate, respectively. The pulp contained 80.0%, 1.09% , 1.06%, 0.8%, 0.4% 10.7% of moisture, crude protein, crude fat, mineral ash, crude fiber and carbohydrate, respectively. The physicochemical analysis of the pulp showed that it contained 0.112 cm3 titratable acidity, 0.21% water soluble ash, 459.7 mg/100 ml reducing sugars, 49.1% non-reducing sugars, 10.0 (Brix °) soluble solids, 1.3355 refractive index, 10.0% total solids, 1.2 × 103 NSM−2 viscosity and 1.012 specific gravity. Ascorbic acid and calcium contents were 66.7 mg/100 ml and 262.5 mg/100 g, respectively. The pulp was slightly acidic (pH 5.8) which indicates that it may not be easily spoiled by micro-organisms.
- Awor OC, Joseph JK (1991) Chemical attributes of little known varieties of wild mango (Irvingia gabonensis) fruits. Nig food J 9(2): 159–166.
- Okafor JC (1972) Varietal Delimitation of Irvingia gabonensis Production. 4th annual conference of Forestry Association of Nigeria.
- Onwuka ND (1984) Solvent extraction and characteristics of oils from Africa breadfruit, African bush mango and oil bean seeds. J Food Sci 61(3): 175–180.
- Oke OL, Umoh IB (1978) Lesser known oil seeds 1: chemical composition. Nutr Report Intern 17(3): 293–299.
- Akusu MO, Giami SY, Adindu MN, Okonkwo VI (1998) Selected Functional Proper-ties of Modified Wild Mango (Irvingia gabonensis) and African Breadfruit (Terculia africana) Seed Proteins. Proc 22nd Annual NIFST conference, Abeokuta, Nigerian.
- Akubor PI (1996) The suitability of African bush mango juice for wine production. Plant Foods Hum Nutr 49: 213–219.
- AOAC (1984) Official Methods of Analysis, 11th edn. Washington DC: Association Of Official Analytical Chemists.
- Pearson D (1976) The Chemical Analysis of Foods. 7th edn. Edinburgh (UK): Churchill, Livingstone.
- Association of Vitamin Chemists (1966) Methods of Vitamins Assay, 3rd edn. Wiley and sons London & New York.
- Pomeranz Y, Meloan CE (1978) Food Analysis: Theory and Practice. Revised edn. Nestport CT: AVI publications.
- Lewis MJ (1978) Physical Properties of Foods and Food Systems. Chichester, UK: Elli Horwood Publishers.
- Akubuilo JC (1977) An Introduction to Agriculture for West Africa. London: Macmillan Education Ltd, 87 pp.
- Ilesanmi JOY, Okusanya BAO, Tanko S (1990) Characterization of Oil Extract from Three Beniseed (Sesamum indicum L.) Varieties from Adamawa state, Nigeria. 4th National conference on application of science for national development, Mubi, Nigeria.
- Egbekun MK, Ehieze MU (1997) Proximate composition and functional properties of full fat and defatted beniseed (Sesamum indicum L.) flour. Plant Foods Hum Nutr 51: 35–41.
- Okoye WE, Okobi AO, Okonkwo EU (1999) Extraction and Characterization of Oil from Nine Lesser Known Nigerian Oil Seeds. Proc 23rd annual NIFST conference, October, Abuja, Nigeria.
- Oyenuga VA (1968) Nigerian's Foods and Feeding Stuffs. Ibadan: Ibadan University Press.
- Onwuka GI, Onwuka ND, Neburagho WO (1999) Some Physical and Chemical Properties of Rubber Seed (Hevea brasillensis) Oil. Proc 23rd annual NIFST conference. October Abuja, Nigeria.
- Oyenuga VA (1972) Protein Nutrition in Nigeria. Symposium on protein foods. Proc International meeting, University of Ife, Ile-Ife, Nigerian.
- Onimawo IA, Usman A, Momoh AH (1998) Proximate composition and functional properties of four cultivar of bambara groundnut (Voandeziea subterrenea). Plant Foods Hum Nutr 53: 153–158.
- Koster A (1934) Moisture Determination by Oven Drying Method, (German) Muhl. 1303 pp.
- Egbekun MK, Akowe JI, Ede RJ (1996) Physicochemical and sensory properties of formulated syrup from black plum (Vitex doniana) fruits. Plant Foods Hum Nutr 49: 301–306.
- Physicochemical and nutrient evaluation of African bush mango (Irvingia gabonensis) seeds and pulp
Plant Foods for Human Nutrition
Volume 58, Issue 3 , pp 1-6
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- African bush mango
- Total solids
- Industry Sectors