Clinical Update: Transgender HIV Prevention: A Model Education Workshop
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A university-based human sexuality program collaborated with transgender and HIV/AIDS community organizations to develop one of the first HIV prevention programs targeting the transgender community. Based on focus group data outlining specific intervention needs, we designed, implemented, and evaluated a model prevention education workshop. The 4-hour workshop included large- and small-group meetings with presentations, discussions, role playing, and exercises based on the Health Belief Model, the Eroticizing Safer Sex approach to HIV prevention, and principles of personal and community empowerment. Transgender-sensitive audiovisual materials were developed; sexually explicit materials were incorporated. Transgender peer educators facilitated the workshop. This clinical update reviews the empirical and theoretical background of the workshop and discusses its development and implementation.
- Inciardi JA, Surratt HL. Male transvestite sex workers and HIV in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. J Drug Iss 1997;27(1):135-46.
- Minnesota Department of Health, AIDS/STD Prevention Services Section. Minnesota Comprehensive HIV/STD Prevention Plan 1995–1996. Minneapolis, Minnesota: Minnesota Department of Health, 1994.
- Coleman E, Bockting WO, Gooren LJG. Homosexual and bisexual identity in sex-reassigned female-to-male transsexuals. Arch Sex Behav 1993;22(1):37-50.
- Avery EN, Cole CM, Meyer WJ. Transsexuals and HIV/AIDS Risk Behaviors. Presented poster at the XIVth Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Symposium; September, 1995; Kloster Irsee, Bavaria, Germany.
- Elifson KW, Boles J, Posey E, Sweat M, Darrow W, Elsea W. Male transvestite prostitutes and HIV risk. Am J Public Health 1993;83:260-62.
- Galli M, Esposito R, Antinori S. HIV-1 infection, tuberculosis, and syphilis in male transsexual prostitutes in Milan, Italy. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol 1991;4(10):1006-08.
- Kok LP, Ho ML, Heng BH, Ong YW. A psychosocial study of high risk subjects for AIDS. Singapore Med J 1990;31(6):573-82.
- Tirelli U, Vaccher E, Covre P, Corso C, Serraino D, Rezza G. Condom use among transvestites in Italy. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol 1991;4(3):302-3.
- Boles J, Elifson KW. The social organization of transvestite prostitution and AIDS. Soc Sci Med 1994;39(1):85-93.
- Kelly JA. Changing HIV Risk Behavior: Practical Strategies. New York: The Guilford Press, 1995.
- Peterson C, Szterenfeld C. Organizing a project with community-based health agents recruited from prostitutes in Rio de Janeiro. Public Health 1992;106:217-23.
- Bockting WO, Kirk S, eds. Transgender and HIV: Risks, prevention, and care. Intern J Transgend [On-line serial] 1999;3(1+2). Available: www.symposion.com/ijt/.
- Ratnam KV. Efficacy of health education programme on awareness of AIDS among transsexuals. Singapore Med J 1990;31(1):33-7.
- Bockting WO, Rosser BRS, Scheltema K. Transgender HIV prevention: Implementation and evaluation of a workshop. Health Educ Res Theory Pract 1999;14(2):177-83.
- Bockting WO, Robinson BE, Rosser BRS. Transgender HIV prevention: Qualitative evaluation of a model prevention education program. J Sex Educ Therapy 1998;23(2):125-33.
- Bockting WO, Rosser BRS, Coleman E. Transgender HIV prevention: Community involvement and empowerment. Intern J Transgend [On-line serial] 1999;3(1+2). Available: www.symposion.com/ijt/.
- Bockting WO, Coleman E. A comprehensive approach to the treatment of gender dysphoria. In: Bockting WO, Coleman E, eds. Gender Dysphoria: Interdisciplinary Approaches in Clinical Management. Binghamton, New York: Haworth Press, 1992:131-55.
- Bockting WO. The assessment and treatment of gender dysphoria. Direct Clin Couns Psychol 1997;7(11):1-23.
- Held J, Cournoyer C, Held C, Chilgren R. Sexual attitude reassessment: A training seminar for health professionals. Minn Med 1974;57:925-28.
- Lief HL. Developments in the sex education of the physician. JAMA 1970;212:1864-67.
- Rosser BRS, Dwyer SM, Coleman E, Miner M, Metz M, Robinson BE, Bockting WO. Using sexually explicit material in sex education: An eighteen year comparative analysis. J Sex Educ Therapy 1995;21(2):117-28.
- Palacios-Jimenez L, Shernoff M. Faciliators' Guide to Eroticizing Safer Sex: A Psychoeducational Workshop Approach to Safer Sex Education. New York: Gay Men's Health Crisis, 1986.
- Shernoff M, Bloom DJ. Perspectives: Designing effective AIDS prevention workshops for gay and bisexual men. AIDS Educ Prev 1991;3(1):31-46.
- Shernoff M, Palacios-Jimenez L. AIDS prevention is the only vaccine available: An AIDS prevention education program. J Soc Work Human Sex 1988;6(2):135-50.
- Kyes KB. The effect of a “safer sex” film as mediated by erotophobia and gender on attitudes toward condoms. J Sex Res 1990;27:297-303.
- Solomon M, DeJong W. Recent sexually transmitted disease prevention efforts and their implications for AIDS health education. Health Educ Qu 1986;13:310-16.
- Tanner WM, Pollack RH. The effect of condom use and erotic instructions on attitudes toward condoms. J Sex Res 1988;25(4):537-41.
- Fisher WA. Predicting contraceptive behavior among university men: The role of emotions and behavioral intentions. J Appl Soc Psychol 1984;14(2):104-23.
- Quadland M, Shattls W, Schuman R, Jacobs R, D'Eramo J. The 800 Men Project: A Report on the Design, Implementation, and Evaluation of an AIDS Prevention and Education Program. New York: Gay Men's Health Crisis, 1987.
- Becker MH, ed. The health belief model and personal health behavior. Health Educ Monogr 1974;2:324-473.
- Becker MH, Haefner DP, Kasl SV, Kirscht JP, Maiman LA, Rosenstock IM. Selected psychosocial models and correlates of individual health-related behaviors. Med Care 1977;15(5):27-46.
- Janz K, Becker MH. The Health Belief Model: Adecade later. Health Educ Qu 1984;11:1-47.
- Rosenstock IM, Strecher VJ, Becker MH. The Health Belief Model and HIV risk behavior change. In: DiClemente RJ, Peterson JL, eds. Preventing AIDS: Theories and Methods of Behavioral Interventions. New York: Plenum Press, 1994:5-24.
- Montgomery SB, Joseph JG, Becker MH, Ostrow DG, Kessler RC, Kirscht JP. The Health Belief Model in understanding compliance with preventive recommendations for AIDS: How useful? AIDS Educ Prev 1989;1(4):303-23.
- Abraham C, Sheeran P. Modelling and modifying young heterosexuals' HIV-preventive behaviour: A review of theories, findings and educational implications. Patient Educ Couns 1994;23:173-86.
- Bandura A. Social Learning Theory. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1977.
- Rosenstock IM, Strecher VJ, Becker MH. Social learning theory and the Health Belief Model. Health Educ Qu 1988;15: 175-83.
- DiClemente RJ, Wingood GM. A randomized controlled trial of an HIV sexual risk-reduction intervention for young African-American women. JAMA 1995;274(16):1271-76.
- Kegeles SM, Hays RB, Coates TJ. The Mpowerment Project: A community-level HIV prevention intervention for young gay men. Am J Public Health 1996;86(8):1129-36.
- Kelly JA, Murphy D, Washington C, Wilson T, Koob J, Davis D, Lepezma G, Davantes, B. Effects of HIV/AIDS prevention groups for high-risk women in urban primary health care clinics. Am J Public Health 1994;84:1918-22.
- Kelly JA, St. Lawrence JS, Hood HV, Brasfield TL. Behavioral interventions to reduce AIDS risk activities. J Consult Clin Psychol 1989;57(1):60-7.
- Seibt AC, Ross MW, Freeman A, Krepcho M, Hedrich A, McAlister A, Fernandez-Esquer ME. Relationship between safe sex and acculturation into the gay subculture. AIDS Care 1995;7(Supplement 1):S85-8.
- Freire P. Pedagogy of the Oppressed. New York: Continuum, 1970.
- van Ryn M, Heaney CA. What's the use of theory? Health Educ Qu 1992;19(3):315-30.
- Bockting WO, Robinson BE, Rosser BRS. Transgender HIV prevention: A qualitative needs assessment. AIDS Care 1998;10(4):505-25.
- Catania JA, Kegeles SM, Coates TJ. Towards an understanding of risk behavior: An AIDS risk reduction model (ARRM). Health Educ Qu 1990;17(1):53-72.
- McKusick L, Hortsman W, Coates TJ. AIDS and the sexual behavior reported by gay men in San Francisco. Am J Public Health 1985;75:493-96.
- Kelly JA. Advances in HIV/AIDS education and prevention. Family Relations 1995;44:345-52.
- Rosser BRS, Bockting WO, producers. Shoot Safe: HIV/AIDS Risk Reduction in the Use of Injection Paraphernalia [videotape]. Minneapolis, Minnesota: Program in Human Sexuality, 1300 South Second Street, Suite 180, Minneapolis,MN 55454, 1992.
- Bockting WO, producer, Grandell S, editor, Bornstein K, script. Gender Defender with AIDS-Be-Gone Infomercial [videotape]. Minneapolis, Minnesota: Program in Human Sexuality, 1300 South Second Street, Suite 180, Minneapolis, MN 55454, 1992.
- Bornstein K. Gender Defender Infomercial [video script]. Unpublished, 1992.
- Coleman E, Bockting WO. “Heterosexual” prior to sex reassignment, “homosexual” afterwards:Acase-study of a female-to-male transsexual. J Psychol Human Sex 1988;1(2):69-82.
- American College Health Association. Safer Sex [brochure]. Rockville, MD: American College Health Association, 1300 Piccard Drive, Suite 200, Rockville, MD 20850, 1990.
- Jaccoma A, Armstrong J, Sprinkle A. Linda, Les, & Annie: The First Female-to-Male Transsexual Love Story [videotape]. New York: Linda, Les, & Annie, P.O. Box 1024, L.I.C., NY 11101, 1990.
- Lane M (executive producer), Kay EC (producer and director). Condoms Are a Girl's Best Friend [videotape]. (Chicago, IL: Memory Lane, P.O. Box 146864, Chicago, IL 60614, 1991.
- Kelly JA, Kalichman SC. Increased attention to human sexuality can improve HIV-AIDS prevention efforts: Key research issues and directions. J Consult Clin Psychol 1995;63(6):907-18.
- Hein D, Kirk ME. Education and soul-searching: The Enterprise HIV prevention group. Intern J Transgend [On-line serial] 1999;3(1+2). Available: www.symposion.com/ijt/.
- Clinical Update: Transgender HIV Prevention: A Model Education Workshop
Journal of the Gay and Lesbian Medical Association
Volume 4, Issue 4 , pp 175-183
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- HIV prevention education
- safer sex workshop