Efficacy of Emotion-Focused and Problem-Focused Group Therapies for Women with Fertility Problems
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Competing positions exist in the literature regarding whether problem-focused or emotion-focused coping is more useful when one confronts a chronic health-related problem. In this study, 29 infertile women, who on average had been attempting conception for almost 4 years, were assigned to six sessions of training in problem- or emotion-focused coping or to a no-treatment control condition. Problem-focused training produced improvements in general distress and infertility-specific well-being at treatment termination. However, emotion-focused training resulted in greater improvement at a 1-month follow-up. Emotion-focused participants reported less depression and more infertility-specific well-being at 1 month than did controls. At 18 months, problem-focused group members were more likely to have a child than were other participants. Results argue for the efficacy of both emotion-directed and problem-focused interventions in women's adjustment to infertility.
- Abbey, A., Andrews, F. M., and Halman, L. J. (1991). Gender's role in responses to infertility Psychol. Women Q. 15: 295-316.
- Bach, G. R., and Goldberg, H. (1974). Creative Aggression: The Art of Assertive Living, Avon Books, New York.
- Beck, A. T., Rush, A. J., Shaw, B. F., and Emery, G. (1979). Cognitive Therapy of Depression, Guilford, New York.
- Beck, A. T., Steer, R. A., and Garbin, M. G. (1988). Psychometric properties of the Beck Depression Inventory: Twenty-five years of evaluation. Cin. Psychol. Rev. 8: 77-100.
- Borkovec, T. D., and Nau, S. D. (1972). Credibility of analogue therapy rationales. J. Behav. Ther. Exp. Psychiatry 3: 257-260.
- Campbell, S. M., Dunkel-Schetter, C., and Peplau, L. A. (1991). Perceived control and adjustment to infertility among women undergoing in vitro fertilization. In Stanton, A. L., and Dunkel-Schetter, C. (eds.), Infertility: Perspectives from Stress and Coping Research, Plenum Press, New York, pp. 133-156.
- Carver, C. S., Scheier, M. F., and Weintraub, J. K. (1989). Assessing coping strategies: A theoretically based approach. J. Personal. Soc. Psychol. 56: 267-283.
- Davajan, V., and Israel, R. (1991). Diagnosis and medical treatment of infertility. In Stanton, A. L., and Dunkel-Schetter, C. (eds.), Infertility: Perspectives from Stress and Coping Research, Plenum Press, New York, pp. 29-57.
- Davies, A. R., Sherbourne, C. D., Peterson, J. R., and Ware, J. E. (1988). Scoring Manual: Adult Health Status and Patient Satisfaction Measures Used in RAND's Health Insurance Experiment, N-2190-HHS, Rand Corporation, Santa Monica, CA.
- Domar, A. D., Zuttermeister, P. C., Seibel, M., and Benson, H. (1992). Psychological improvement in infertile women after behavioral treatment: A replication. Fertil. Steril. 58: 144-147.
- Dunkel-Schetter, C., and Lobel, M. (1991). Psychological reactions to infertility. In Stanton, A. L., and Dunkel-Schetter, C. (eds.), Infertility: Perspectives from Stress and Coping Research, Plenum Press, New York, pp. 29-57.
- D'Zurilla, T. J., and Goldfried, M. R. (1971). Problem solving and behavior modification. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 78: 107-126.
- Freeman, E. W., Boxer, A. S., Rickels, K., Tureck, R., and Mastroianni, L., Jr. (1985). Psychological evaluation and support in a program of in vitro fertilization and embryo transfer. Fertil. Steril. 43: 48-53.
- Freud, S. (1893–1895). Studies on Hysteria, stand. ed. (Vol. 2), Hogarth, London, 1955.
- Goldfried, M. R. (1980). Psychotherapy as coping skills training. In Mahoney, M. J. (ed.), Psychotherapy Process: Current Issues and Future Directions, Plenum, New York, pp. 89-119.
- Goldfried, M. R., and Davison, G. C. (1976). Clinical Behavior Therapy, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York.
- Kubler-Ross, E. (1969). On Death and Dying, Macmillan, New York.
- Lazarus, R. S., and Folkman, S. (1984). Stress, Appraisal, and Coping, Springer, New York.
- Menning, B. E. (1977). Infertility: A Guide for the Childless Couple, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- Menning, B. E. (1988). Infertility: A Guide for the Childless Couple, 2nd ed., Prentice Hall, New York.
- Moos, R. H., and Schaefer, J. A. (1986). Life transitions and crises: A conceptual overview. In Moos, R. H. (ed.), Coping with Life Crises: An Integrated Approach, Plenum, New York, pp. 3-28.
- Mosher, W. D., and Pratt, W. F. (1990). Fecundity and infertility in the United States, 1965–1988. Advance Data from Vital and Health Statistics, No. 192, National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, MD.
- Nolen-Hoeksema, S. (1987). Sex differences in unipolar depression: Evidence and theory. Psychol. Bull. 101: 259-282.
- Pennebaker, J. W., Hughes, C. F., and O'Heeron, R. C. (1987). The psychophysiotogy of confession: Linking inhibitory and psychosomatic processes. J. Personal. Soc. Psychol. 52: 781-793.
- Pennebaker, J. W., Kiecolt-Giaser, J. K., and Glaser, R. (1988). Disclosure of traumas and immune function: Health implications for psychotherapy. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 56: 239-245.
- Rose, S. D. (1990). Working with Adults in Groups: Integrating Cognitive-Behavioral and Small Group Strategies, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco.
- Salzer, L. P. (1986). Infertility: How Couples Can Cope, G. K. Hall, Boston.
- Sanders, C. M. (1989). Grief: The Mourning After, Wiley, New York.
- Shapiro, C. H. (1988). Infertility and Pregnancy Loss: A Guide for Helping Professionals, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco.
- Stanton, A. L. (1991). Cognitive appraisals, coping processes, and adjustment to infertility. In Stanton, A. L., and Dunkel-Schetter, C. (eds.). Infertility: Perspectives from Stress and Coping Research, Plenum Press, New York, pp. 87-108.
- Stanton, A. L., and Danoff-Burg, S. (1995). Selected issues in women's reproductive health: Psychological perspectives. In Stanton, A. L., and Gallant, S. (eds.), Psychology of Women's Health: Progress and Challenges in Research and Application, American Psychological Association, Washington, DC, pp. 261-305.
- Stanton, A. L., and Dunkel-Schetter, C. (1991). Psychological adjustment to infertility: An overview of conceptual approaches. In Stanton, A. L., and Dunkel-Schetter, C. (eds.), Infertility: Perspectives from Stress and Coping Research, Plenum Press, New York, pp. 3-16.
- Stanton, A. L., Danoff-Burg, S., Cameron, C. L., and Ellis, A. P. (1994). Coping through emotional approach: Problems of conceptualization and confounding. J. Personal. Soc. Psychol. 66: 350-362.
- Strentz, T., and Aueruach, S. M. (1988). Adjustment to the stress of simulated captivity: Effects of emotion-focused versus problem-focused preparation on hostages differing in locus of control. J. Personal. Soc. Psychol. 55: 652-660.
- Stuart, R. B. (1980). Helping Couples Change: A Social Learning Approach to Marital Therapy, Guilford Press, New York.
- Taylor, S. E. (1990). Health psychology: The science and the field. Am. Psychol. 45: 40-50.
- Taylor, S. E., Falke, R. L., Shoptaw, S. J., and Lichtman, R. R. (1986). Social support, support groups, and the cancer patient. J. Consult Clin. Psychol. 54: 608-615.
- U.S. Congress, Office of Technology Assessment (1988). Infertility: Medical and social choices, OTA-BA-358, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, May.
- Ware, J. E., Johnston, S. A., Davies-Avery, A., and Brook, R. H. (1979). Conceptualization and measurement of health for adults in the Health Insurance Study, Vol. III. Mental Health, R-1987/3-HEW, Rand Corporation, Santa Monica, CA.
- Ware, J. E., Manning, W. G., Duan, N., Wells, K. B., and Newhouse, J. P. (1984). Health status and the use of outpatient mental health services. Am. Psychol. 39: 1090-1100.
- Wortman, C. B., and Silver, R. C. (1989). The myths of coping with loss. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 57: 349-357.
- Efficacy of Emotion-Focused and Problem-Focused Group Therapies for Women with Fertility Problems
Journal of Behavioral Medicine
Volume 20, Issue 4 , pp 313-331
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- chronic disease