Tribological Behavior of Carbon-Nanotube-Filled PTFE Composites
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Carbon nanotube/polytetrafluoroethylene (CNT/PTFE) composites with different volume fractions were prepared and their friction and wear properties were investigated using a ring-on-block under dry conditions. It was found that CNTs signifi-cantly increased the wear resistance of PTFE composites and decreased their coefficient of friction. PTFE composites with 15–20 vol.% CNTs exhibited very high wear resistance. The significant improvements in the tribological properties of CNT/PTFE composites are attributed to the super-strong mechanical properties and the very high aspect ratio of CNTs. The CNTs greatly reinforce the structure of the PTFE-based composites and thereby greatly reduce the adhesive and plough wear of CNT/PTFE composites. The CNTs are released from the composite during sliding and transferred to the interface of the friction couples. They thus serve as spacers, preventing direct contact between the mating surfaces and thereby reducing both wear rate and friction coefficient.
- T. W. Ebbesen and P. M. Aiayan, Nature 358 (1992) 220.
- R. S. Ruoff and D. C. Lorents, Carbon 33 (1995) 925.
- E. W. Wong, P. E. Sheehan, Science 277 (1997) 1971.
- M. M. J. Treacy, T. W. Ebbesen and J. M. Gibson, Nature 381 (1996) 678.
- E. T. Thostenson, A. F. Ren and T. W. Chou, Composite Sci. Tech. 61 (2001) 1899.
- P. Calvert, Nature 156 (1999) 210.
- R. H. Baughman, A. A. Zakhidov and W. A. de Heer, Science 297 (2002) 787.
- W. X. Chen, J. P. Tu, L. Y. Wang, H. Y. Gan, Z. D. Xu and X. B. Zhang, Carbon 41 (2003) 215.
- J. P. Tu, Y. Z. Yang, L. Y. Wang, X. C. Ma and X. B. Zhang, Tribol. Lett. 10 (2001) 225.
- D. S. Lim, J. W. An and H. J. Lee, Wear 252 (2002) 512.
- F. Li, H. Hu, J. L. Li and B. Y. Zhao, Wear 249 (2001) 877.
- S. Bahadur and D. Tabor, Wear 98 (1984) 1.
- Z. Z. Zhang, Q. J. Xue, W. Liu, W. C. Shen, Tribol. Int. 31 (1998) 361.
- S. Bahadur and D. L. Gong, Wear 158 (1992) 41.
- F. Li, F. Y. Yan, L. G. Yu and W. M. Liu, Wear 237 (2000) 33.
- Tribological Behavior of Carbon-Nanotube-Filled PTFE Composites
Volume 15, Issue 3 , pp 275-278
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- carbon nanotubes
- friction and wear
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Chemistry, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, 310027, P.R. China
- 2. State Key Laboratory of Composite Materials of Metal Matrix, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai, 200030, P.R. China
- 3. Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, 310027, P.R. China