What do you recommend? Implementation and analyses of collaborative information filtering of web resources for education
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This article examines results from one pilotstudy and two empirical studies of acollaborative filtering (CF) system applied ineducational settings. CF is a populartechnology in electronic commerce, whichleverages the interests of entire communitiesto provide targeted, personalizedrecommendations of interesting products orresources to individuals. In electroniccommerce, entertainment, and related domains,CF has proven an accurate and reliable tool;yet educational applications remain limited.From analyses of data from these three studies,we believe that CF holds promise in educationnot only for the purposes of helping learnersand educators find useful resources forlearning, but as a means of bringing togetherpeople with similar interests and beliefs, andpossibly as an aid to the learning processitself.
- Avery, C. & Zeckhauser, R. (1997). Recommender systems for evaluating computer messages. Communications of the ACM 40(3): 88-89.
- Breese, J., Heckerman, D. & Kadie, C. (1998). Empirical analysis of predictive algorithms for collaborative filtering. In Proceedings of the Fourteenth Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence. Madison, WI.
- Brown, J.S. & Duguid, P. (2000). The Social Life of Information. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Business School Press.
- Brown, J.S., Collins, A. & Duguid, P. (1989). Situated cognition and the culture of learning. Educational Researcher 18: 32-42.
- Greeno, J.G., Collins, A.M. & Resnick, L.B. (1996). Cognition and learning. In D. Berliner & R. Calfee, eds, Handbook of Educational Psychology, pp. 15-46. New York: Macmillan.
- Gupta, D., Digiovanni, M., Narita, H. & Goldberg, K. (1999). Jester 2.0: Evaluation of a new linear time collaborative filtering algorithm. Proceedings of the 22nd Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, pp. 291-292. New York, NY: ACM.
- Herlocker, J., Konstan, J., Borchers, A. & Riedl, J. (1999). An algorithmic framework for performing collaborative filtering. In Proceedings of SIGIR'99, pp. 230-237. New York: ACM.
- Herlocker, J., Konstan, J. & Riedl, J. (2000). Explaining collaborative filtering recommendations. In Proceedings of Computer Supported Cooperative Work. New York: ACM.
- Hill, W., Stead, L., Rosenstein, M. & Furnas, G. (1995) Recommending and evaluating choices in a virtual community of use. Conference Proceedings on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 194-201). New York, NY: ACM.
- Konstan, J., Miller, B., Maltz, D., Herlocker, J., Gordon, L. & Riedl, J. (1997). GroupLens. Communications of the ACM 40(3): 77-87.
- Lawrence, S. & Giles, L (1999). Accessibility and distribution of information on the web. Nature 400: 107-109.
- Malone, T., Grant, K., Turbak, F., Brobst, S. & Cohen, M. (1987). Intelligent information sharing systems. Communications of the ACM 30(5): 390-402.
- National Center for Education Statistics (1999). Common Core of Data (CCD): School Years 1993-94 through 1997-98. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Education.
- Pea, R. (1993). Practices of distributed intelligence and designs for education. In G. Salomon, ed., Distributed Cognition (pp. 46-87). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- PITAC (1998) Interim Report to the President. President's Information Technology Advisory Committee Interim Report to the President [http://www.hpcc.gov/ac/interim/].
- Recker, M. & Pitkow, J. (1996). Predicting document access in large, multimedia repositories. In ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction (ToCHI), Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 352-375.
- Recker, M. & Walker, A. (2000). An interface for collaborative filtering of educational resources. In Proceedings of the 2000 International Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IC-AI'2000), pp. 317-323. CSREA press.
- Recker, M.M., Walker, A. & Wiley, D. (2001). Collaboratively filtering learning resources. In D. Wiley, ed., Designing Instruction with Learning Objects, pp. 243-259. Bloomington: AECT.
- Recker, M. & Wiley, D. (2001). A non-authoritative educational metadata ontology for filtering and recommending learning objects. Interactive Learning Environments 1: 1-17.
- Resnick, P. & Varian, H., eds, (1997). Recommender systems, special issue. Communications of the ACM 40(3).
- Robertson, J.S. (1999). The curse of plenty: Mathematics and the internet. Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching 18(1): 3-5.
- Soloway, E. & Wallace, R. (1997). Does the internet support student inquiry? Don't ask. Communications of the ACM 40(5): 11-16.
- Swaim, M. & Swaim, S. (1999). Teacher time (or rather, the lack of it). American Educator 23(3): 20-26.
- Wallace, R., Kupperman, J., Krajcik, J. and Soloway, E. (2000). Science on theWeb: Students online in a sixth-grade classroom. Journal of the Learning Sciences 9(1): 75-104.
- Walker, A. (2002). An educational recommender system: New territory for collaborative filtering. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Utah State University, Logan.
- Walker, A., Recker, M., Lawless, K. & Wiley, D. (in press). Collaborative information filtering: a review and an educational application. International Journal of Artificial Intelligence and Education.
- Wattenberg, F. (1998). A National Digital Library for Science, Mathematics, Engineering, and Technology Education, D-Lib Magazine 5 (10 October).
- What do you recommend? Implementation and analyses of collaborative information filtering of web resources for education
Volume 31, Issue 4-5 , pp 299-316
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- collaborative information filtering
- user studies
- Web-based learning
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Instructional Technology, Utah State University, Logan, UT, 84322-2830, USA
- 2. Education and Human Services, Lehigh University, 27 Memorial Drive West, Bethlehem, PA, 18015, USA
- 3. College of Education, University of Illinois at Chicago, USA