Langevin Diffusions and Metropolis-Hastings Algorithms
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We consider a class of Langevin diffusions with state-dependent volatility. The volatility of the diffusion is chosen so as to make the stationary distribution of the diffusion with respect to its natural clock, a heated version of the stationary density of interest. The motivation behind this construction is the desire to construct uniformly ergodic diffusions with required stationary densities. Discrete time algorithms constructed by Hastings accept reject mechanisms are constructed from discretisations of the algorithms, and the properties of these algorithms are investigated.
- J. D. Doll, P. J. Rossky, and H. L. Friedman, “Brownian dynamics as smart Monte Carlo simulation,” Journal of Chemical Physics vol. 69 pp. 4628–4633, 1978.
- J. A. Doornik, Ox: Object Oriented Matrix Programming, 1.10, Chapman & Hall: London, 1996.
- D. Down, S. P. Meyn, and R. L. Tweedie, “Exponential and uniform ergodicity of Markov processes,” Ann. Probab. vol. 23 pp. 1671–1691, 1995.
- H. Ganidis, B. Roynette, and F. Simonot, “Convergence rate of some semi-groups to their invariant probability,” Stochastic Processes and their Applications vol. 68 pp. 65–82, 1999.
- C. D. Gelatt, S. Kirkpatrick, and M. P. Vecchi, “Optimization by simulated annealing,” Science vol. 220 pp. 671–680, 1983.
- W. K. Hastings, “Monte Carlo sampling methods using Markov chains and their applications,” Biometrika vol. 57 pp. 97–109, 1970.
- S. F. Jarner and G. O. Roberts, Convergence of heavy tailed MCMC algorithms. available at http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/ ~ mcmc/
- I. Karatzas and S. E. Shreve, Brownian Motion and Stochastic Calculus, Springer-Verlag: New York, 1991.
- J. Kent, “Time-reversible diffusions,” Adv. Appl. Probab. vol. 10 pp. 819–835, 1978.
- I. E. Leonard, “The matrix exponential,” SIAM Review vol. 38 pp. 507–512, 1996.
- E. Marinari and G. Parisi, “Simulated tempering: A new Monte Carlo methods,” Europhysics Letters vol. 19 pp. 451–458, 1992.
- S. P. Meyn and R. L. Tweedie, Markov Chains and Stochastic Stability, Springer-Verlag: London, 1993.
- S. P. Meyn and R. L. Tweedie, “Stability of Markovian processes III: Foster-Lyapunov criteria for continuous time processes,” Adv. Appl. Probab. vol. 25 pp. 518–548, 1993.
- C. Moler and C. Van Loan, “Nineteen dubious ways to compute the exponential of a matrix,” SIAM Review vol. 20 pp. 801–836, 1978.
- R. Neal, “Sampling from multimodal distributions using tempered transitions,” Statistics and Computing vol. 6 pp. 353–366, 1996.
- T. Ozaki, “A bridge between nonlinear time series models and nonlinear stochastic dynamical systems: A local linearization approach,” Statistica Sinica vol. 2 pp. 113–135, 1992.
- G. O. Roberts and J. S. Rosenthal, “Optimal scaling of discrete approximations to Langevin diffusions,” Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series B vol. 60 pp. 255–268, 1998.
- G. O. Roberts and J. S. Rosenthal, “Optimal scaling for various Metropolis-Hastings algorithms,” Statistical Science, 2001.
- G. O. Roberts and R. L. Tweedie, “Exponential convergence of Langevin diffusions and their discrete approximations,” Bernouilli vol. 2 pp. 341–364, 1996a.
- G. O. Roberts and R. L. Tweedie, “Geometric convergence and central limit theorems for multi-dimensional Hastings and Metropolis algorithms,” Biometrika vol. 83 pp. 95–110, 1996b.
- L. C. G. Rogers and D. Williams, Diffusions, Markov Processes and Martingales, John Wiley: New York, 1987.
- I. Shoji and T. Ozaki, “A statistical method of estimation and simulation for systems of stochastic differential equations,” Biometrika vol. 85 pp. 240–243, 1998.
- O. Stramer and R. L. Tweedie, “Langevin-type models I: Diffusions with given stationary distributions, and their discretizations,” Methodology and Computing in Applied Probability vol. 1 pp. 283–306, 1999a.
- O. Stramer and R. L. Tweedie, “Langevin-type models II: Self-targeting candidates for mcmc algorithms,” Methodology and Computing in Applied Probability vol. 1 pp. 307–328, 1999b.
- D. W. Stroock and S. R. S. Varadhan, Multidimensional Diffusion Processes, Springer-Verlag: Berlin, 1979.
- Langevin Diffusions and Metropolis-Hastings Algorithms
Methodology And Computing In Applied Probability
Volume 4, Issue 4 , pp 337-357
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Langevin diffusions and algorithms
- Industry Sectors