The Violent Matrix: A Study of Structural, Interpersonal, and Intrapersonal Violence Among a Sample of Poor Women
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
One goal of this paper is to present an integrated tripartite model of violence, with a focus on structural violence within an oppression paradigm. Using qualitative and quantitative data from 27 women (70% African American and 30% European American) who participated in a national substance abuse treatment demonstration program, we describe a model of violence in which structural violence is presented within a transactional relationship with interpersonal, and intrapersonal violence. We suggest that the effects of structural, interpersonal, and intrapersonal violence are magnified when race and poverty are considered. The second goal of the paper is to present a preliminary test of the new model of violence. Results indicated that different levels and types of violence are interrelated. Implications of these findings for empowering solutions are suggested.
- Bélisle, P. (1999). Digital recording of qualitative interviews—An update. Quirk's Marketing Research Review, 13(11), 4649.
- Bronfenbrenner, U. (1977). Lewinian space and ecological substance. Journal of Social Issues, 33(4), 199212.
- Bulhan, H. A. (1985). Frantz Fanon and the psychology of oppression. New York: Plenum.
- Carter, J. H. (1994). Racism's impact on mental health. Journal of the National Medical Association, 86(7), 543547.
- Child Welfare Watch. (1998). 3(Spring/Summer).
- Christie, D. J. (1998). The structural basis of episodic violence and peace. Unpublished manuscript, Ohio State University.
- Denzin, N. K., & Lincoln, Y. S. (Eds.). (1998). Strategies of qualitative inquiry. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Dohrenwend, B. P., Levav, I., Shrout, P. E., & Schwartz, S. (1992). Socioeconomic status and psychiatric disorders: The causationselection issue. Science, 255, 946952.
- Fanon, F. (1968). The wretched of the earth. New York: Grove Press.
- Foucault M. 1980.The history of sexuality An introduction1. NewYork: Vintage Books.
- Geis, K. J., & Ross, C. E. (1998). A new look at urban alienation: The effect of neighborhood disorder on perceived powerlessness. Social Psychology Quarterly, 61(3), 232246.
- Gil, D. G. (1981). The social context of domestic violence: Implications of prevent. Vermont Law Review, 6(2), 339340.
- Grossman, J. B., & Tierney, J. P. (1998). Does mentoring work? An impact study of the Big Brother Big Sister program. Evaluation Review, 22(3), 403426.
- Hanna, F. J., Bernak, F., & Chung, R. C. (1999). Toward a new paradigm for multicultural counseling. Journal of Counseling and Development, 77, 125134.
- Jayakody, R., Danziger, S., & Pollack, H. (2000). Welfare reform, substance use, and mental health. Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law, 25(4), 623651.
- Kaiser, S. (1990). Issues of culture and oppression in organizations. Retrieved from http://www.bizgrowth.com/Culture.html
- Linsky, A. S., Bachman, R., & Straus, M. A. (1995). Stress, culture, and aggression. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- McCorkle, K. C. (1991). Effects of maternal internalized racism, socioeconomic status, depression and parenting quality upon child maladjustment (Doctoral dissertation, University of Pittsburgh, 1991). Dissertation Abstracts International, 53(1B), 583.
- McLellan, A. T., Huskner, H., Metzger, D., Peters, R., Smith, I., Grissom, G., et al. (1992). The fifth edition of the Addiction Severity Index. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 9, 199213.
- Miles, M. B., & Huberman, A. M. (1994). Qualitative data analysis: An expanded sourcebook (2nd ed.). Beverly Hills, CA: Sage.
- Monthly Vital Statistics Report. Vol. 43, No. 6(S). March 22, 1995.
- Monthly Vital Statistics Report, Vol. 46, No. 12(5). August 27, 1998.
- O'Leary, K. D. (1999). Psychological abuse: A variable deserving critical attention in domestic violence. Violence and Victims, 14(1), 323.
- Patton, M. (1990). Qualitative evaluation and research methods. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage.
- SerranoGarcía, I. (1984). The illusion of empowerment: Community development within a colonial context. Prevention in Human Services, 3(2/3), 173200.
- Straus, M. A. (1978). Wife beating: How common and why? Victimology, 2(3, Supl. 4), 443458.
- Strauss, M. A., & Gelles, R. J. (Eds.). (1995). Physical violence in American families: Risk factors and adaptations to violence in 8,145 families. New Brunswick: Transaction.
- Tainter, S. (2000). Mental health among single mothers: Assessing the consequences of welfare reform. Research News. University of Michigan. Retrieved from http://www.research.umich.edu/research/research_guide/research_news/poverty/premom.html
- Thoits, P. A. (1981). Undesirable life events and psychophysiological distress: A problems of operational confounding. American Sociological Review, 46, 97109.
- Tieggs, L. M., Browne, I., & Green, G. P. (1998). Social isolation of the urban poor: Race, class, and neighborhood effects on social resources. The Sociological Quarterly, 39, 5377.
- Townsend, T. G., & Belgrave, F. Z. (2000). The impact of personal identity and racial identity on drug attitudes and use among African American children. Journal of Black Psychology, 26(4), 421436.
- Ulbrich, P., Warheit, G., & Zimmerman, R. (1989). Race, socioeconomic status, and psychological distress: An examination of differential vulnerability. Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 30, 131146.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Children's Bureau. (1997). National study of protective, preventive and reunification services delivered to children and their families. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- Wallace, J. M. (1999). Explaining race differences in adolescent and young adult drug use: The role of racialized social systems. Drugs and Society, 14(1/2), 2135.
- Williams, C., Epstein, J. A., Botvin, G. J., & IfillWilliams, M. (1999). Marijuana use among minority youths living in public housing developments. Journal of Urban Health: Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine, 76(1), 85101.
- Wong, L. (1998). Disrupted journeys: Women, welfare and workfare. Dissertation Abstracts International, Section B: The Sciences and Engineering, 58(9B), 527.
- Woolis, D. D. (1998). Family works: Substance abuse treatment and welfare reform. Public Welfare, 56(1), 2431.
- Zimmerman, M. A., & Rappaport, J. (1988). Citizen participation, perceived control, and psychological empowerment. American Journal of Community Psychology, 16, 725750.
- The Violent Matrix: A Study of Structural, Interpersonal, and Intrapersonal Violence Among a Sample of Poor Women
American Journal of Community Psychology
Volume 31, Issue 1-2 , pp 129-141
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors