Living with Pollution in Egypt
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Environmental issues are increasingly discussed in Egypt, and there is some progress in dealing with pollution. This paper examines the environmental understandings of Egyptians living in four localities. People are preoccupied with such pollution problems as dirty streets, dirty air and water, and noise, for they aspire to live in a clean, healthy environment. To achieve this, they pressure the government, and take certain individual and collective actions themselves, although direct political action is rare.
- Assaad, M.and Garas, N.: 1994, ‘Experiments in Community Development in a Zabbaleen Settlement.’ Cairo Papers in Social Science 16, 4, 1-70.
- El Ramly, E.: 2000, ‘Women's Perception of Environmental Change in Egypt,’ Cairo Papers in Social Science 23, 4, 1-85.
- Engelman, R.and LeRoy, P.: 1993, Sustaining Water: Population and the Future of Renewable Water Supplies, Population Action International, Washington.
- Fakhouri, H.: 1987, Kafr al-Elow: Continuity and Change in an Egyptian Community, 2nd ed., Waveland Press, Prospect Heights, IL.
- Gomaa, S.S.: 1992, ‘Environmental Politics in Egypt,’ in N.S. Hopkins (ed.), Cairo Papers in Social Science, Special Issue on Environmental Challenges in Egypt and the World 15, 4, 24-40.
- Gomaa, S.S.: 1997, Environmental Policy Making in Egypt, University Press of Florida, Gainesville FL, and American University in Cairo Press, Cairo.
- Hopkins, N.S., Mehanna, S.R., Abdelkader, T., Abu Gazia, N., El-Karanshawy, S.and Tewfik, I.: 1995, ‘Pollution and People in Cairo,’ in S.S. Gomaa (ed.), Cairo Papers in Social Science, Special Issue on Environmental Threats in Egypt: Perceptions and Actions 17, 4, 3-28.
- Hopkins, N.S., Mehanna, S.R. and El-Haggar, S.: 2001, People and Pollution: Cultural Constructions and Social Action in Egypt, American University in Cairo Press, Cairo.
- Ibrahim, S.E.: 1997, ‘An Assessment of Grass-roots Participation in the Development of Egypt,’ Cairo Papers in Social Science 19, 3, 1-131.
- Ismail, S.: 1996, ‘The Politics of Space in Urban Cairo: Informal Communities and the State,’ Arab Studies Journal 4, 2, 119-132.
- Kamel, K.: 1997, A Tale of Two Factories. Arab Society: Class, Gender, Power, and Development, N.S. Hopkins and S.E. Ibrahim (eds.), American University in Cairo Press, Cairo, pp. 429-440.
- Longuenesse, E.: 1997, ‘Logiques d'appartenances et dynamiques électorales dans une banlieue ouvrière: le cas de la circonscription 25 à Helwan.’ in Gamblin S., ed., Contours et détours du politique en Egypte: les élections législatives de 1995, Paris, L'Harmattan, pp. 229-265.
- Meyer, G.: 1987, ‘Waste Recycling as a Livelihood in the Informal Sector: The Example of Refuse Collectors in Cairo,’ Applied Geography and Development 30, 78-94.
- PRIDE (Chemonics International): 1994, Comparing Environmental Health Risks in Cairo, Egypt, 3 Vols, USAID, Cairo.
- Putnam, R.D.: 2000, Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community, Simon and Schuster, New York.
- Said, R.: 1993, The River Nile: Geology, Hydrology, and Utilization. Pergamon Press, Oxford.
- Stanley, D.J. and Warne, A.G.: 1993, ‘Nile Delta: Recent Geological Evolution and Human Impact,’ Science 260, 628-634.
- Tekçe, B., Oldham, L. and Shorter, F.C.: 1994, A Place to Live: Families and Child Health in a Cairo Neighborhood, American University in Cairo Press, Cairo.
- Tewfik, I.: 1997, ‘Mobilization in a Cairo Neighborhood: Community Participation and Change,’ Middle East Report 202, 26-27.
- Tolba, M.: 1993, ‘Environment and development,’ Lecture at the American University in Cairo on the occasion of Earth Day, 24 April 1993.
- Tolba, M.: 1997, ‘"Introduction" in Gomaa, S.S. 1997,’ Environmental policy making in Egypt, University Press of Florida, Gainesville, FL; and American University in Cairo Press, Cairo, pp. vii-viii.
- Tolba M. with Rummel-Bulska, I.: 1998, Global Environmental Diplomacy: Negotiating Environmental Agreements for the World, 1973-1992, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Watts, S.and El-Katsha, S.: 1997, ‘Irrigation, Farming and Schistosomiasis: A Case Study in the Nile Delta,’ International Journal of Environmental Health Research 7, 101-113.
- Wikan, U.: 1985, ‘Living Conditions Among Cairo's Poor: A View from Below,’ The Middle East Journal 39, 1, 7-26.
- Wikan, U.: 1995, ‘Sustainable Development in the Mega-city: Can the Concept be Made Applicable?’ Current Anthropology 36, 4, 635-655.
- Living with Pollution in Egypt
Volume 23, Issue 1 , pp 17-28
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- cultural construction
- social action
- sustainable development