The selection of Saffman-Taylor fingers by kinetic undercooling
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The selection of Saffman-Taylor fingers by surface tension has been widely studied. Here their selection is analysed by another regularisation widely adopted in studying otherwise ill-posed Stefan problems, namely kinetic undercooling. An asymptotic-beyond-all-orders analysis (which forms the core of the paper) reveals for small kinetic undercooling how a discrete family of fingers is selected; while these are similar to those arising for surface tension, the asymptotic analysis exhibits a number of additional subtleties. In Appendix 1 a description of some general features of the Hele-Shaw problem with kinetic undercooling and an analysis of the converse limit in which kinetic undercooling effects are large are included, while Appendix 2 studies the role of exponentially small terms in a simple linear problem which clarifies the rather curious behaviour at the origin of Stokes lines in the Hele-Shaw problem with kinetic undercooling.
- P.G. Saffman and G.I. Taylor, The penetration of a fluid into a porous medium or Hele-Shaw cell. Proc. R. Soc. London A245 (1958) 312–329.
- S.J. Chapman, On the rôle of Stokes lines in the selection of Saffman-Taylor fingers with small surface tension. Eur. J. Appl. Math. 10 (1999) 513–534.
- R. Combescot, T. Dombre, V. Hakim and Y. Pomeau, Shape selection of Saffman-Taylor fingers. Phys. Rev. Lett. 56 (1986) 2036–2039.
- R. Combescot, V. Hakim, T. Dombre, Y. Pomeau and A. Pumir, Analytic theory of the Saffman-Taylor fingers. Phys. Rev. A37 (1988) 1270–1283.
- D.C. Hong and J.S. Langer, Analytic theory of the selection mechanism in the Saffman-Taylor problem. Phys. Rev. Lett. 56 (1986) 2032–2035.
- B.I. Shraiman, Velocity selection and the Saffman-Taylor problem. Phys. Rev. Lett. 56 (1986) 2028–2031.
- S. Tanveer, Surprises in viscous fingering. J. Fluid Mech. 409 (2000) 273–308.
- A.P. Aldushin and B.J. Matkowsky, Selection in the Saffman-Taylor finger problem and the Taylor-Saffman bubble problem without surface tension. Appl. Math. Lett. 11 (1998) 57–62.
- A.P. Aldushin and B.J. Matkowsky, Extremum principles for selection in the Saffman-Taylor finger and Taylor-Saffman bubble problems. Phys. Fluids 11 (1999) 1287–1296.
- C. Charach, B. Zaltzman and I.G. Gotz, Interfacial kinetic effect in planar solidification problems without initial undercooling. Math. Model Method Appl. Sci. 4 (1994) 331–354.
- J.D. Evans and J.R. King, Asymptotic results for the Stefan problem with kinetic undercooling. Q. J. Mech. Appl. Math. 53 (2000) 449–473.
- R.C. Kerr, A.W. Woods, M.G. Worster and H.E. Huppert, Solidification of an alloy cooled from above. 2. Nonequilibrium interfacial kinetics. J. Fluid Mech. 217 (1990) 331–348.
- S.J. Chapman, Asymptotic analysis of the Ginzburg-Landau model of superconductivity-reduction to a freeboundary model. Quart. Appl. Math. 53 (1995) 601–627.
- H.K. Kuiken, Edge effects in crystal growth under intermediate diffusive kinetic control. IMA J. Appl. Math. 35 (1985) 117–129.
- N.B. Pleshchinskii and M. Reissig, Hele-Shaw flows with nonlinear kinetic undercooling regularization. Nonlin. Anal.-Theor. Meth. App. 50 (2002) 191–203.
- M. Reissig, S.V. Rogosin and F. Hubner, Analytical and numerical treatment of a complex model for Hele-Shaw moving boundary value problems with kinetic undercooling regularization. Eur. J. Appl. Math. 10 (1999) 561–579.
- S.J. Chapman, J.R. King and K.L. Adams, Exponential asymptotics and Stokes lines in nonlinear ordinary differential equations. Proc. R. Soc. London A454 (1998) 2733–2755.
- J.W. McLean and P.G. Saffman, The effect of surface tension on the shape of fingers in a Hele-Shaw cell. J. Fluid Mech. 102 (1981) 445–469.
- G.F. Carrier, M. Krook and C.E. Pearson, Functions of a Complex Variable. New York: McGraw-Hill (1966) 438 pp.
- M.V. Berry, Waves near Stokes lines. Proc. R. Soc. London A427 (1990) 265–280.
- J.R. King, Mathematical Aspects of Semiconductor Process Modelling. D Phil thesis, University of Oxford (1986) 408 pp.
- J.R. King, Interacting Stokes lines. In: C.J. Howls, T. Kawai and Y. Takei (eds.), Towards the Exact WKB Analysis of Differential Equations, Linear or Nonlinear. Kyoto University Press (2000) pp. 165–178.
- M.D. Kruskal and H. Segur, Asymptotics beyond all orders in a model of crystal growth. Stud. Appl. Math. 85 (1991) 129–181.
- The selection of Saffman-Taylor fingers by kinetic undercooling
Journal of Engineering Mathematics
Volume 46, Issue 1 , pp 1-32
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- finger selection
- kinetic undercooling
- Industry Sectors