Simultaneous Amplification of Terahertz Difference Frequencies by an Injection-Seeded Semiconductor Laser Amplifier at 850 nm
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Two-frequency operation of an 850 nm semiconductor optical amplifier was achieved by simultaneously injection seeding it with two diode lasers. The two frequencies could be independently amplified without strong interference when they were separated by more than 10 GHz, and the spectral purity was preserved by the amplification process. At frequency differences below 10 GHz, unbalanced two-frequency output was observed, which can be explained by a two-mode interaction driven by the refractive index modulation at the beat frequency. The laser system is suitable for the difference-frequency generation of coherent terahertz radiation in ultra-fast photoconductors or nonlinear optical media.
- D. A. V. Kliner, J. P. Koplow, and L. Goldberg, “Narrow-band, tunable, semiconductor-laser-based source for deep-UV absorption spectroscopy,” Opt. Lett., vol. 22, pp. 1418–1420, 1997.
- T. D. Raymond and A. V. Smith, “Two-frequency injection-seeded Nd:YAG laser,” IEEE J. Quantum Electron., vol. 31, pp. 1734–1737, 1995.
- P. Chen, G. A. Blake, M. C. Gaidis, E. R. Brown, K. A. McIntosh, S. Y. Chou, M. I. Nathan, and F. Williamson, “Spectroscopic applications and frequency locking of THz photomixing with distributed-Bragg-reflector diode lasers in low-temperature-grown GaAs,” Appl. Phys. Lett., vol. 71, pp. 1601–1603, 1997.
- S. Matsuura, M. Tani, H. Abe, K. Sakai, H. Ozeki, and S. Saito, “High-resolution terahertz spectroscopy by a compact radiation source based on photomixing with diode lasers in a photoconductive antenna,” J. Mol. Spectrosc., vol. 187, pp. 97–101, 1998.
- J. Zmuidzinas, in Proc. 30th ESLAB Symp. "submillimetre and Far-Infrared Space Instrumentation, 24–26 September 1996, ESTEC, Noordwijk, The Netherlands, ESA SP-388, pp. 151–154, 1996.
- A. P. Bogatov, P. G. Eliseev, and B. N. Sverdlov, “Anomalous interaction of spectral modes in a semiconductor laser,” IEEE J. Quantum Electron., vol. QE-11, pp. 510–515, 1975.
- G. P. Agrawal, “Four-wave mixing and phase conjugation in semiconductor laser media,” Opt. Lett., vol. 12, pp. 260–262, 1987.
- K. Inoue, T. Mukai, and T. Saitoh, “Nearly degenerate four-wave mixing in a traveling-wave semiconductor laser amplifier,” Appl. Phys. Lett., vol. 51, pp. 1051–1053, 1987.
- L. F. Tiemeijer, “Effects of nonlinear gain on four-wave mixing and asymmetric gain saturation in a semiconductor laser amplifier,” Appl. Phys. Lett., vol. 59, pp. 499–501, 1991.
- Simultaneous Amplification of Terahertz Difference Frequencies by an Injection-Seeded Semiconductor Laser Amplifier at 850 nm
International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves
Volume 19, Issue 6 , pp 849-858
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Semiconductor laser amplifier
- Two-frequency injection seeding
- Difference-frequency generation
- Coherent radiation
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Geological and Planetary Sciences, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California, 91125
- 2. Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California, 91109