Quality of life in patients of nasopharyngeal carcinoma: Validation of the Taiwan Chinese version of the EORTC QLQ-C30 and the EORTC QLQ-H&N35
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The authors followed the guidelines of translation and pilot testing of the EORTC QLQ-C30 and EORTC-QLQ-H&N35 questionnaires. The questionnaires were given to 50 nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients under active treatment and 50 under follow-up at our institution from November 2000 to June 2001. A retest was conducted 2 weeks after the first interview/form completion for the follow-up group. The intraclass correlation coefficients of the two questionnaires were moderate to high in the follow-up group. Cronbach's α coefficients of all scales of the two questionnaires were ≥ 0.70 except that of cognitive functioning. Correlation of scales measuring similar dimensions of the QLQ-C30 and the SF-36 were moderate to high, while that of the QLQ-H&N35 and the QLQ-C30 and the SF-36 were moderate to low. Patients in the active treatment group had more serious acute problems due to disease and chemotherapy. Patients in the follow-up group had more serious chronic problems due to radiation therapy. We concluded that the Taiwan Chinese version of the EORTC QLQ-C30 and the EORTC QLQ-H&N35 had moderate to high test–retest reliability, high internal consistency in most scales, and could show the expected differences between patients in active treatment and follow-up group.
- Cheng YJ, Hildesheim A, Hsu MM, et al. Cigarette smoking, alcohol consumption and risk of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in Taiwan. Cancer Causes Control 1999; 10: 201–207.
- Department of Health, the Executive Yuan. Cancer Registry Annual Report, Republic of China, 1997. Taipei: Department of Health. 2000; 20–21.
- Division of Cancer Research, National Health Research Institutes and Taiwan Cooperative Organization of Cancer. Consensus of Diagnosis and Treatment of Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma. Taipei: National Health Research Institutes, 2000.
- Aaronson NK, Ahmedzai A, Berman B, et al. The European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer QLQ-C30: A quality-of-life instrument for use in international clinical trials in oncology. J Natl Cancer Inst 1993; 85: 365–376.
- Hjermstad MJ, Fossa SD, Bjordal K, Kaasa S. Test/retest study of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Core Quality-of-Life Questionnaire. J Clin Oncol 1995; 13: 1249–1254.
- Groenvold M, Klee MC, Sprangers MAG, Aaronson NK. Validation of the EORTC QLQ-C30 quality of life questionnaire through combined qualitative and quantitative assessment of patient-observer agreement. J Clin Epidemiol 1997; 50: 441–450.
- Kobayashi K, Takeda F, Teramukai S, et al. A cross-validation of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer QLQ-C30 (EORTC QLQ-C30) for Japanese with lung cancer. Eur J Cancer 1998; 34: 810–815.
- Bjordal K, Kaasa S. Psychometric validation of the EORTC Core Quality of Life Questionnaire, 30-item version and a diagnosis-specific module for head and neck cancer patients. Acta Oncol 1992; 31: 311–321.
- Bjordal K, Hammerlid E, Ahlner-Elmqvist M, et al. Quality of life in head and neck cancer patients: Validation of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaire-H&N35. J Clin Oncol 1999; 17: 1008–1019.
- Bjordal K, de Graeff A, Fayers PM, et al. A 12 country field study of the EORTC QLQ-C30 (version 3.0) and the head and neck cancer specific module (EORTC QLQ-H&N35) in head and neck patients. Eur J Cancer 2000; 36: 1796–1807.
- Sherman AC, Simonton S, Adams DC, Vural E, Owens B, Hanna E. Assessing quality of life in patients with head and neck cancer, cross-validation of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) Quality of Life Head and Neck Module (QLQ-H&N35). Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2000; 126: 459–467.
- EORTC quality of Life Study Group. Questionnaire for the Department of Obstetric and gynecology, Hong Kong University (Chinese Translation of the EORTC QLQ-C30 version 2.0). Brussels: Quality of Life Unit, EORTC Data Center, 1997.
- Cull A, Sprangers M, Bjordal K, et al. EORTC Quality of Life Study Group Translation Procedure. Brussels: EORTC Quality of Life Study Group, 1998.
- New England Medical Center Hospital. IQOLA SF-36 Taiwan Standard Version 1.0. Boston: The Health Institute, New England Medical Center, 1996.
- Ware JE, Kosinski M, Keller SD. SF-36 Physical and Mental Health Summary Scales: A User's Manual. Boston: The Health Institute, New England Medical Center, 1994.
- Chie WC, Huang CS, Chen JH, Chang KJ. Measurement of the quality of life during different clinical phases of breast cancer. J Formos Med Assoc 1999; 98: 254–260.
- Fuh JL, Wang SJ, Lu SR, Juang KD, Lee SJ. Psychometric evaluation of a Chinese (Taiwanese) Version of the SF-36 Health Survey amongst middle-aged women from a rural community. Qual Life Res 2000; 9: 675–683.
- Chiu HC, Chern JY, Shi HY, Chen SH, Chang JK. Physical functioning and health-related quality of life: Before and after total hip replacement. Kaohsiung J Med Sci 2000; 16: 285–292.
- Wang SJ, Fuh JL, Lu SR, Juang KD. Quality of life differs among headache diagnoses: Analysis of SF-36 survey in 901 headache patients. Pain 2001; 89: 285–292.
- Streiner DL, Norman GR. Reliability, in Streiner DL, Norman GR (eds): Health Measurement Scales. A Practical Guide to Their Development and Use. Oxford: Oxford Medical, 1994; 79–96.
- Fayers P, Aaronson N, Bjordal K, Curran D, Groenvold M: EORTC QLQ-C30 Scoring Manual. 2nd ed. Brussels: EORTC Quality of Life Study Group, 1999.
- Fayers P, Weeden S, Curran D. EORTC QLQ-C30 Reference Values. Brussels: EORTC Quality of Life Study Group, 1998.
- Quality of life in patients of nasopharyngeal carcinoma: Validation of the Taiwan Chinese version of the EORTC QLQ-C30 and the EORTC QLQ-H&N35
Quality of Life Research
Volume 12, Issue 1 , pp 93-98
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- The EORTC QLQ-H&N35
- The EORTC QLQ-C30
- Nasopharyngeal carcinoma
- Quality of life
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Public Health and Graduate Institute of Preventive Medicine, College of Public Health, National Taiwan University, Taiwan
- 2. Department of Oncology, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taiwan
- 3. Department of Radiotherapy, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taiwan
- 4. Department of Otorhinol-aryngology, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taiwan