Partner Influences and Gender-Related Factors Associated with Noncondom Use Among Young Adult African American Women
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We examined the partner influences and gender-related correlates of noncondom use among African American women. The prevalence of noncondom use was 45.3%. Women whose sexual partners were noncondom users were four times more likely to believe that asking their partner to use a condom implied he was unfaithful, three times as likely to have a partner who resisted using condoms, three times more likely to receive AFDC, twice as likely to be sexually nonassertive, three times more likely to believe that it was not difficult to find an “eligible” African American man, and three times as likely to have had one sexual partner. HIV prevention tailored towards African American women should address these partner influences and gender-related factors.
- Avery, B. Y. Breathing life into ourselves: The evolution of the National Black Women's Health Project. In: White, E. eds. (1990) The Black women's health book. Seal, Seattle, WA
- Catania, J. A., Coates, T. J., Stall, R., Turner, H., Peterson, J., Hearst, N., Dolcini, M. M., Hudes, E., Gagnon, J., Wiley, J., Groves, R. (1992) Prevalence of AIDS-related risk factors and condom use in the United States. Science 258: pp. 1101-1106
- AIDS in women—United States. Mortality & Morbidity Weekly Report 39: pp. 845-846
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (1992). 1993 Revised classification system for HIV infection and expanded surveillance case definition for AIDS among adolescents and adults. Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report, 41(No. RR-17).
- HIV/AIDS Surveillance Report 6: pp. 5-10
- Update: AIDS among women-United States, 1994. Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report 44: pp. 81-84
- Chu, S. Y., Wortley, P. M. Epidemiology of HIV/AIDS in women. In: Minkoff, H., DeHovitz, J. A., Duerr, A. eds. (1995) HIV infection in women. Raven, New York.
- Cochran, S. D., Mays, V. M. (1993) Applying social psychological models to predicting HIV-related sexual risk behaviors among African Americans. Journal of Black Psychology 19: pp. 142-154
- Connell, R. W. (1987) Gender and power. Stanford University Press, Stanford, CA.
- D'Emilio, J., Freedman, E. B. (1988) Intimate matters. Harper & Row, New York.
- du Guerny, J., Sjoberg, E. (1993) Inter-relationship between gender relations and the HIV/AIDS epidemic: Some possible considerations for policies and programs. AIDS 7: pp. 1027-1034
- Fleiss, J. L. Statistical methods for rates and proportions. New York: Wiley.
- Fullilove, M. T., Fullilove, R. E., Haynes, K., Gross, S. (1990) Black women and AIDS prevention: A view towards understanding the gender rules. Journal of Sex Research 27: pp. 47-64
- Gillespie, D. (1971) Who has the power? The marital struggle. Journal of Marriage and the Family 33: pp. 445-458
- Hosmer, D. W., Lemeshow, S. (1989) Applied logistic regression. Wiley, New York
- Kelley, H. H., Thibaut, J. W. (1978) Interpersonal relations: A theory of interdependence. Wiley, New York
- Mays, V. M., Cochran, S. D. (1988) Issues in the perception of AIDS risk and risk reduction activities by Black and Hispanic/Latina women. American Psychologist 43: pp. 949-957
- Nichols, M. Women and Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome: Issues for Prevention. In: Voeller, B., Reinisch, J., Gottlieb, M. eds. (1990) AIDS and sex: An integrated biomedical and behavioral approach. Oxford University Press, New York
- Overby, K. J., Kegeles, S. M. (1994) The impact of AIDS on an urban population of high-risk female minority adolescents: Implications for intervention. Journal of Adolescent Health Care 15: pp. 216-227
- Plichta, S. B., Weisman, C. S., Nathanson, C. A., Ensminger, M. E., Robinson, J. C. (1992) Partner-specific condom use among adolescent women clients of a family planning clinic. Journal of Adolescent Health Care 13: pp. 506-511
- Sacco, W. P., Levine, B., Reed, D. L., Thompson, K. (1991) Attitudes about condom use as an AIDS-relevant behavior: Their factor structure and relation to condom use. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 59: pp. 265-272
- Wingood, G. M., DiClemente, R. J. (1992) Cultural, gender and psychosocial influences on HIV-related behavior of African American female adolescents: Implications for the development of tailored prevention programs. Ethnicity and Disease 2: pp. 381-388
- Wingood, G. M., DiClemente, R. J. African American women and HIV: Prevention of human immunodeficiency virus infection among African American women; sex, gender and power and women's risk for HIV. In: Umeh, D. C. eds. (1996) Cross-Cultural perspectives on HIV/AIDS education. African World Press, Trenton, NJ.
- Wingood, G. M., DiClemente, R. J. (1997) Effects of having a physically abusive partner on the condom use and sexual negotiation practices of young adult African American women. American Journal of Public Health 87: pp. 1016-1018
- Wingood, G. M., DiClemente, R. J. (1997) Child sexual abuse, HIV sexual risk and gender relations of African American women. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 13: pp. 380-384
- Wingood, G. M., & DiClemente, R. J. (in press). Rape among African American women: Sexual, psychological, and social correlates predisposing survivors to STD/HIV. Journal of Women's Health.
- Wingood, G. M., Hunter-Gamble, D., DiClemente, R. J. (1993) A pilot study of sexual communication and negotiation among young African American women: Implications for HIV prevention. Journal of Black Psychology 19: pp. 190-203
- Worth, D. (1990) Sexual decision making and AIDS: Why condom promotion among vulnerable women is likely to fail. Studies in Family Planning 20: pp. 297-307
- Wyatt, G. E. (1990) The relationship between child sexual abuse and adolescent sexual functioning in Afro-American and White American women. Annals New York Academy of Sciences 19: pp. 111-121
- Partner Influences and Gender-Related Factors Associated with Noncondom Use Among Young Adult African American Women
American Journal of Community Psychology
Volume 26, Issue 1 , pp 29-51
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- African American women
- gender roles
- condom use
- Industry Sectors