Three to Four Year Prospective Evaluation of Personality and Behavioral Risk Factors for Later Disordered Eating in Adolescent Girls and Boys
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Findings of a 3- to 4-year prospective investigation of personality, temperament, and behavioral factors predictive of the later development of disordered eating in an adolescent population are presented. The sample consisted of 726 girls and 698 boys who entered the study in grades 7–10 in year 1 or in grade 7 in year 2. Predictors of eating disorder risk score were determined separately by gender. For both girls and boys, the latent variable of negative affect/attitudes determined at study entrance was the only significant predictor of final-year risk score. Semistructured diagnostic interviews confirmed an eating disorder diagnosis in 52.8% of 36 female subjects in the high eating disorder symptom group. A substantial history of lifetime and current comorbidity also was noted in this group. The function of negative affect/attitudes as a generalized psychopathology vulnerability factor and as a specific factor increasing risk for disordered eating is discussed.
- Allgood-Merten, B., Lewinson, P. M., and Hops, H. (1990). Sex differences and adolescent depression. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 99: 55–63. CrossRef
- American Psychiatric Association (1987). Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (3rd ed. rev.). Author, Washington, DC.
- Attie, I., and Brooks-Gunn, J. (1989). Development of eating problems in adolescent girls: A longitudinal study. Develop. Psychol. 25: 70–79.
- Bollen, K. A. (1989). Structural Equations with Latent Variables. Wiley, New York.
- Browne, M. W., and Cudeck, R. (1993). Alternative ways of assessing model fit. In Bollen, K. A., and Scott, J. S. (eds.), Testing Structural Equation Models. Sage, Newbury Park, CA.
- Carlat, D. J., and Carmago, C. A. (1991). Review of bulimia nervosa in males. Am. J. Psychiatry 148: 831–843.
- Depue, R. A. (1985). Studies of Persons at Risk for Depressive Disorders. Research grant proposal submitted to National Institute of Mental Health.
- Depue, R. A., Slater, J. F., Wolfstetter-Kausch, H., Klein, D., Goplerud, E., and Farr, D. (1981). A behavioral paradigm for identifying persons at risk for bipolar depressive disorder: A conceptual framework and five validation studies [Monograph]. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 90: 381–437.
- Ellis, B. (1989). Cognitive and Personality Correlates of Bipolar Disorder. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis.
- French, S. A., and Jeffery, R. W. (1994). The consequences of dieting to lose weight: Effects on physical and mental health. Health Psychol. 13: 195–212.
- French, S. A., Perry, C. L., Leon, G. R., and Fulkerson, J. A. (1994). Weight concerns, dieting behavior, and smoking initiation among adolescents: A prospective study. Am. J. Public Health 84: 1818–1820.
- French, S. A., Perry, C. L., Leon, G. R., and Fulkerson, J. A. (1995). Changes in psychological variables and health behaviors by dieting status over a three-year period in a cohort of adolescent females. J. Adolesc. Health 16: 438–447.
- Garner, D. M., Olmsted, M. P., and Polivy, J. (1983). Development and validation of a multidimensional eating disorder inventory for anorexia nervosa and bulimia. Int. J. Eating Disord. 2: 15–34.
- Gralen, S. J., Levine, M. P., Smolak, L., and Murnen, S. K. (1990). Dieting and disordered eating during early and middle adolescence: Do the influences remain the same? Int. J. Eating Disord. 9: 501–512.
- Joreskog, K. G., and Sorbom, D. (1996). LISREL8: User's reference guide. Chicago: Scientific Software International, Inc.
- Keel, P. K., Fulkerson, J. A., and Leon, G. R. (1997). Disordered eating precursors in pre-and early adolescent girls and boys. J. Youth Adolesc. 26: 203–216.
- Keel, P. K., Klump, K. L., Leon, G. R., and Fulkerson, J. A. (1998). Disordered eating in adolescent males from a school-based sample. Int. J. Eating Disord. 23: 125–132.
- Leon, G. R., Lucas, A. R., Colligan, R., Ferdinande, R., and Kamp, J. (1985). Body image, sexual attitudes, and family interaction patterns in anorexia nervosa. J. Abnorm. Child Psychol. 13: 245–258.
- Leon, G. R., Perry, C. L., Mangelsdorf, C., and Tell, G. J. (1989). Adolescent nutritional and psychological patterns and risk for the development of an eating disorder. J. Youth Adolesc. 18: 273–282.
- Leon, G. R., Fulkerson, J. A., Perry, C. L., and Cudeck, R. (1993). Personality and behavioral vulnerabilities associated with risk status for eating disorders in adolescent girls. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 102: 438–444.
- Leon, G. R., Fulkerson, J. A., Perry, C. L., and Early-Zald, M. B. (1995). Prospective analysis of personality and behavioral vulnerabilities and gender influences in the later development of disordered eating. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 104: 140–149.
- Mann, T., Nolen-Hoeksema, S., Huang, K., Burgard, D., Wright, A., and Hanson, K. (1997). Are two interventions worse than none? Joint primary and secondary prevention of eating disorders in college females. Health Psychol. 16: 215–225.
- Muliak, S. A. (1975). Confirmatory factor analysis. In Amick, D. J., and Walberg, H. J. (eds.), Introductory Multivariate Analysis. McCutchan, Berkeley, CA.
- Orvaschel, H., and Puig-Antich, J. (1987). Schedule for Affective Disorder and Schizophrenia for School-Age Children: Epidemiologic Version. University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh.
- Patton, G., Johnson-Sabine, E., Wood, K., Mann, A. H., and Wakeling, A. (1990). Abnormal eating attitudes in London schoolgirls—A prospective epidemiological study: Outcome at twelve month follow-up. Psychol. Med. 20: 383–394.
- Perry, C. L. (1986). Reliability testing of the Health Behavior Survey. Unpublished raw data.
- Perry, C. L., Griffin, G., and Murray, D. M. (1985). Assessing needs for youth health promotion. Prev. Med. 14: 379–393.
- Perry, C. L., Klepp, K. I., Halper, A., Dudovitz, B., Golden, D., Griffin, G., and Smyth, M. (1987). Promoting healthy eating and physical activity patterns among adolescents: a pilot study of “Slice of Life.” Health Educ. Res. 2: 93–103.
- Perry, C. L., Williams, C. L., Veblen-Mortenson, S., Toomey, T. L., Komro, K. A., Anstine, P. S., McGovern, P. G., Finnegan, J. R., Forster, J. L., Wagenaar, A. C., and Wolfson, M. (1996). Project Northland: Outcomes of a community wide alcohol use prevention program during early adolescence. Am. J. Public Health 86: 956–965.
- Peterson, A. C., Crockett, L., Richards, M., and Boxer, A. (1988). A self-report measure of pubertal status: Reliability, validity, and initial norms. J. Youth Adolesc. 17: 117–133.
- Rosen, J. C., Silberg, N. T., and Gross, J. (1988). Eating Attitudes Test and Eating Disorders Inventory: Norms for adolescent girls and boys. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 56: 305–308.
- Serdula, M. K., Collins, M. E., Williamson, D. F., Anda, R. F., Pamuk, L. C., and Byers, T. E. (1993). Weight control practices of U.S. adolescents and adults. Ann. Intern. Med. 119: 667–671.
- Tellegen, A. (1982). Brief Manual for the Differential Personality Questionnaire. Unpublished manuscript, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis.
- Waller, N. (1990). Development of short forms for the Negative Emotionality and Constraint high order factor scales of the Multidimensional Personality Questionnaire. Unpublished raw data.
- Three to Four Year Prospective Evaluation of Personality and Behavioral Risk Factors for Later Disordered Eating in Adolescent Girls and Boys
Journal of Youth and Adolescence
Volume 28, Issue 2 , pp 181-196
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- 2. Minnesota Department of Human Services, Saint Paul
- 3. Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, USA
- 4. Department of Psychology, Harvard University, Boston, Massachusetts
- 5. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania