Validation of a Telephone Zygosity Questionnaire in Twins of Known Zygosity
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The aim of this study was to validate a zygosity questionnaire that can be administered over the telephone. Mothers of same-sexed twins of known zygosity and chorionicity between 2 and 31 years of age were interviewed on a nine-item questionnaire. From the answers one unweighted and four weighted indices were computed. As single questions, the mother's opinion and the “two peas in a pod” question differentiated best between monozygotic and dizygotic twins. One independent well-trained observer assessed the zygosity based on the questionnaire and made the correct diagnosis in 96% of the cases. A weighted index of eight similarity questions yielded an accuracy of 98%. This study shows that the zygosity of same-sexed twins more than 2 years old and without gross physical malformation can reliably be determined by a telephone questionnaire with a high accuracy.
- Benirschke, K., and Kaufmann, P. (1995). Pathology of the Human Placenta, 3rd ed., Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Bonnelyke, B., Hauge, M., Holm, N. Kristoffersen, K., and Gurtler, H. (1989). Evaluation of zygosity diagnosis in twin pairs below age seven by means of a mailed questionnaire. Acta Genet. Med. Gemellol. 38:305–313.
- Cederlof, R., Friberg, L., Jonsson, E., and Kaij, L. (1961). Studies on similarity diagnosis in twins with the aid of mailed questionnaires. Acta Genet. Med. Gemellol. 11:338–362.
- Cohen, D. J., Dibble, E., Grawe, J. M., and Pollin, W. (1975). Reliably separating identical from fraternal twins. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 32:1371–1375.
- Conference of Biological Editors, Committee on Form and Style (1964). Style Manual for Biological Journals, 2nd ed., American Institute of Biological Sciences, Washington, DC.
- Hauge, M., Harwald, B., Fisher, M., Gotlieb-Jensen, K., Juel-Nielsen, N., Raebild, J., Shapiro, R., and Videbech, T. (1968). The Danish twin register. Acta Genet. Med. Gemellol. 17:315–331.
- Machin, G., Bamforth, F., Innes, M., and McNichol, K. (1995). Some perinatal characteristics of monozygotic twins who are dichorionic. Am. J. Med. Genet. 55:71–76.
- Magnus, P., Berg, K., and Nance, W. E. (1983). Predicting zygosity in Norwegian twin pairs born 1915–1960. Clin. Genet. 24:103–112.
- Nichols, R. C., and Bilbro, W. C. (1966). The diagnosis of twin zygosity. Acta Genet. Basel 16: 265–275.
- Ooki, S., Yamada, K., and Asaka, A. (1993). Zygosity diagnosis of twins by questionnaire for twins' mothers. Acta Genet. Med. Gemellol. 42:17–22.
- Sarna, S., Kaprio, J., Sistonen, P., and Kosenvuo, M. (1978). Diagnosis of twin zygosity by mailed questionnaire. Hum. Hered. 28:241–254.
- SAS Institute Inc. (1988). SAS/STAT User's Release 6.04 Edition, SAS Institute, Cary, NC.
- Spitz, E., Moutier, R., Reed, T., Busnel, M. C., Marchaland, C., Roubertoux, P. L., and Carlier, M. (1995). Comparative diagnosis of twin zygosity by SSLP variant analysis, questionnaire and dermatoglyphic analysis. Behav. Genet. 26:55–63.
- Torgersen S. (1979). The determination of twin zygosity by means of a mailed questionnaire. Acta Genet. Med. Gemellol. 28:225–236.
- Vlietinck, R. (1986). Determination of the Zygosity of Twins, Doctoral thesis, KU Leuven, Leuven.
- Validation of a Telephone Zygosity Questionnaire in Twins of Known Zygosity
Volume 28, Issue 3 , pp 159-163
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- telephone questionnaire