Bead fusion in polystyrene foams
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A quantitative technique has been developed to measure the extent of fusion between expanded beads in molded polystyrene foams. Experiments were conducted with ASTM D638 tensile test specimens that were molded under conditions to produce various levels of bead fusion in the foam. The tensile properties of the foam for various levels of bead fusion were measured according to ASTM D638 standards. The fracture surfaces of the tensile specimens were analysed by quantitative image analysis techniques to measure the degree of bead fusion in the sample. This technique was then used on a commercial pattern to map the variations in bead fusion at numerous locations in the molded part. The results indicate that there is a good correlation between the tensile properties and the measured bead fusion. Significant variations in bead fusion may be present in a single molded part.
- T. R. Greeley, in Proceedings of the 1997 3rd Symposium on Insulation Materials: Testing and Applications, Vol. 3, May 15–17 1997, Quebec City, USA, p. 226.
- E. H. Niemann, Trans AFS 95 (1988) 793.
- D. J. Fossey, C. H. Smith and K. B. Wischmann, J Cell Plast. 13 (1977) 347.
- J. Rossacci, MS thesis, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA, 1994.
- M. Sands, MS thesis, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA (1998).
- P. Jjarvella, J. Sarlin, P. Jarvela and P. Tormala, J. of Mater. Sci. 21 (1986) 3139.
- P. R. Stupak, W. Russell and J. A. Ddonovan, Microstructural Science 18 (1990) 505.
- P. R. Stupak and J. A. Donovan, J Cell Plast. 27 (1991) 506.
- P. R. Stupak, W. O. Ffrye and J. A. Donovan, ibid. 27 (1991) 485.
- L. R. Glicksman, M. Torpey and A. Marge, ibid. 28 (1992) 571.
- Bead fusion in polystyrene foams
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 38, Issue 2 , pp 201-206
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors