On Paulo Freire's Debt to Psychoanalysis: Authority on the Side of Freedom
- Charles Bingham
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Paulo Freire's major work, Pedagogy of the Oppressed, owes adebt to psychoanalysis. In particular, as this paper argues,Freire's account of teacher authority needs to be understoodthrough psychoanalytic sensibilities. Paulo Freire maintains thatteacher authority can be ``on the side of freedom.'' This is ahighly charged claim given that liberalist traditions generallycast authority as the enemy of freedom. Breaking with liberalunderstandings of authority, Freire's ``authority on the sideof freedom'' is a matter of maintaining the delicate psychicbalance that leads neither to domination nor to submission.This paper investigates how such an authoritative balance functions.
- Appel, S. (1999). Psychoanalysis and pedagogy. New York: Bergin & Garvey.
- Benjamin, J. (1995). Like subjects, love objects. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- Benjamin, J. (1988). The bonds of love. New York: Pantheon.
- Bingham, C. (2001). Schools of recognition: Identity politics and classroom practices. New York: Rowan & Littlefield.
- Britzman, D. (1999). Lost subjects, contested objects. New York: State University of New York Press.
- Dewey, J. (1937). Authority and social change. In Authority and the individual. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Felman, S. (1987). Jacques Lacan and the adventure of insight. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Foucault, M. (1997). What is enlightenment? In P. Rabinow (Ed.), Michel Foucault: Ethics, subjectivity and truth. New York: The New Press.
- Freire, P. (1998). Pedagogy of the oppressed. New York: Continuum.
- Freedman, M. (1973). The confirmation of otherness: In family, community, and society. New York: Pilgrim Press.
- Kant, I. (1991). What is enlightenment? In H.S. Reiss (Ed.), Kant's political writings. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Shor, I. (1996). When students have power. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Shor, I. (1992). Empowering education: Critical teaching for social change. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Shor, I. (1987). Critical teaching and everyday life. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Winnicott, D.W. (1971). Playing and reality. New York: Routledge.
- On Paulo Freire's Debt to Psychoanalysis: Authority on the Side of Freedom
Studies in Philosophy and Education
Volume 21, Issue 6 , pp 447-464
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- critical pedagogy
- Paulo Freire
- Charles Bingham (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. 534 N. Lombard, Oak Park, IL, 60302, USA