The Effectiveness of the Assertive Community Treatment Model
- Evelyn J. Nieves
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This study sought to determine the benefits of an assertive community treatment model (ACT) versus a continuing day-treatment program (CDTP) for the treatment of chronic mentally ill patients. The study utilized a quasi-experimental design with a matched-groups comparison of outcomes achieved by patients in two community mental health centers in the South Bronx area of New York City. The study assessed outcomes regarding hospital readmissions, quality of life, and housing and vocational rehabilitation. The sample size was 60, with 30 subjects in each group. Due to the small size and baseline differences between groups, nonparametric tests were the primary statistical analyses.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1994). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, 4th ed. Washington, DC: Author.
- Frey, J.L., Knoedler, W., Test, M.A., & Stein, L.I. (1998). Pact team: Model fidelity assessment.
- Macias, C. (1996). Fountain House, Inc., 425 West 47th Street, New York, NY 10036; and International Center for Clubhouse Development, New York, NY.
- Macias, C., & Teague, G.B. (1992, June). Preliminary concepts for participant observer ratings of community support programs. Paper presented at the Community Support Program Demonstration Project Workshop, Bethesda, MD.
- New York State Office of Mental Health (1995). 1995 Patient characteristics survey.
- Rubin, A., & Babbie, E. (1993). Research methods for social work (2nd ed.). Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole Publishing.
- Test, M.A., & Stein, L.I. (1980). Alternatives to mental hospital treatment social cost. Archives of General Psychiatry, 37, 409–412.
- Weinbach, R.W., & Grinnell, R.M. (1991). Statistics for social workers (2nd ed.). New York: Longman Publishing Group.
- Yegidis, B.L., & Weinbach, R.W. (1991). Research methods for social workers. New York: Longman Publishing Group.
- The Effectiveness of the Assertive Community Treatment Model
Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research
Volume 29, Issue 6 , pp 461-480
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- assertive community treatment
- continuity of care approach
- continuity of caregiver approach
- program fidelity
- psychiatric inpatient returnee
- Evelyn J. Nieves (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Fordham-Tremont Community Mental Health Center, 2021 Grand Concourse (Administration), Bronx, NY, 10453