Gender Differences in the Structure of Narcissism: A Multi-Sample Analysis of the Narcissistic Personality Inventory
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Multi-sample analysis of the Emmons factor modelof the Narcissistic Personality Inventory (NPI) was usedto test the prediction that exploitive tendencies andfeelings of entitlement are less central to the construct of narcissism among females thanthey are among males. As predicted, the hypothesis ofcross-gender equivalence of the Emmons factorvariance/covariance matrixwas rejected. Follow-upanalyses confirmed thatthis hypothesis was rejectedprimarily because Exploitiveness/Entitlement showedweaker correlations with the other Emmons factors amongfemales that it did among males. Results are discussed in terms of such factors as norms regardingappropriate sex role conduct, as well as the powerdifferential between males and females.
- Akhtar, S., & Thompson, J. (1982). Overview: Narcissistic Personality Disorder. American Journal of Psychiatry, 139, 12-20.
- Bentler, P. M., & Bonett, D. G. (1980). Significance tests and goodness of fit in the analysis of covariance structures. Psychological Bulletin, 56, 588-606.
- Butler, D., & Geis, F. L. (1990). Nonverbal affect responses to male and female leaders: Implications for leadership evaluations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 58, 48-59.
- Carli, L. L., Lafleur, S. J., & Loeber, C. C. (1995). Nonverbal behavior, gender, and influence. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 68, 1030-1041.
- Carroll, L. (1987). A study of narcissism, affiliation, intimacy,and power motives among students in business administration. Psychological Reports, 61, 355-358.
- Eagly, A. H., Makhijani, M. G., & Klonsky, B. G. (1992). Gender and the evaluation of leaders: A meta-analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 111, 3-22.
- Emmons, R. A. (1984). Factor analysis and construct validity of the Narcissistic Personality Inventory. Journal of Personality Assessment, 48, 291-300.
- Emmons, R. A. (1987). Narcissism: Theory and measurement. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 52, 11-17.
- Haaken, J. (1983). Sex differences in narcissistic disorders. American Journal of Psychoanalysis, 43, 315-324.
- Jöreskog, K. G., & Sörbom, D. (1990). SPSS LISREL 7 and PRELIS: User's Guide and Reference. Chicago, IL: SPSS Inc.
- Jöreskog, K. G., & Sörbom, D. (1993). SPSS LISREL 8: Users reference guide. Chicago, IL: SPSS Inc.
- McCann, J. T., & Biaggio, M. K.(1989). Narcissistic personality features and self-reported anger. Psychological R Reports, 64, 55-58.
- Philipson, I.(1985). Sex and narcissism. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 9, 213-228.
- Raskin, R., & Hall, C. S. (1979). A narcissistic personality inventory. Psychological Reports, 40, 590.
- Raskin, R., & Terry, H. (1988). A principle components analysis of the Narcissistic Personality Inventory and further evidence for its construct validity. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 54, 890-902.
- Rhodewalt, F., & Morf, C. C. (1995). Self and interpersonal correlates of the Narcissistic Personality Inventory: A review and new findings. Journal of Research in Personality, 29, 1-23.
- United States Bureau of the Census (1990). United States population estimates: 1990. Washington, DC, U.S. Government Printing Office.
- Gender Differences in the Structure of Narcissism: A Multi-Sample Analysis of the Narcissistic Personality Inventory
Volume 38, Issue 9-10 , pp 863-870
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors