The Role of Body Dissatisfaction and Bingeing in the Self-Esteem of Women with Type II Diabetes
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This study investigated the impact of body dissatisfaction and binge eating on self-esteem in women with Type II diabetes. The relationship of body dissatisfaction and bingeing to perceived blood glucose control was also assessed. Questionnaires were completed by a total of 215 women: 125 women with Type II diabetes and 90 comparison women, who were roughly matched for age, education, and ethnicity. When actual weight (BMI) was statistically controlled, there was no difference between the groups in body dissatisfaction or bingeing behavior. The women with diabetes, however, had significantly lower self-esteem. Further, bingeing made a significant contribution to their self-esteem, in contrast to the women without diabetes. For the women with diabetes, body dissatisfaction and bingeing were also related to perceived blood glucose control, although only bingeing remained significant when both variables were entered into the regression equation. It was concluded that diabetes broadens the domains of body dissatisfaction which are related to self-esteem.
- Anderson, L. A., James, G. R., Zeimer, D. C., and Phillips, L. S. (1997). Diabetics in urban African Americans: Body image, satisfaction with size, and weight change attempts. Diabetes Educ. 23: 301-308.
- Altabe, M., and Thompson, J. K. (1993). Body image changes during early adulthood. Int. J. Eat. Disord. 11: 397-402.
- Australian Diabetes Foundation (1986). Diabetes in Australia 1986, Author, Canberra.
- Bachman, J. G., and O'Malley, P. M. (1977). Self-esteem in young men: A longitudinal analysis of the impact of education and occupational attainment. J. Person. Soc. Psychol. 35: 365-380.
- Ben-Tovim, D. I., and Walker, M. K. (1991). Women's body attitudes: A review of measurement techniques. Int. J. Eat. Disord. 10: 155-167.
- Bernbaum, M., Albert, S. G., Duckro, P. N., and Merkel, W. (1993). Personal and family stress in individuals with diabetes and vision loss. J. Clin. Psychol. 49: 670-677.
- Butler, F. R., Secundy, M. G., and Romberg, E. E. (1994). Health care utilization patterns of hypertensive and diabetic African American elderly. J. Cult. Divers. 1: 74-78.
- Cash, T. F. (1990). The psychology of physical appearance: Aesthetics, attributes and images. In Cash, T. F., and Pruzinsky, T. (eds.), Body Image, Guilford, New York, pp. 51-79.
- Cash, T. F., Winstead, B. A., and Janda, L. H. (1986). The great American shape-up: Body image survey report. Psychol. Today 20: 30-37.
- Fairburn, C. G., and Cooper, P. J. (1989). Eating disorders. In Hawton, K., Salkovskis, P., Kirk, J., and Clark, D. M. (eds.), Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for Psychiatric Problems: A Practical Guide, Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp. 277-314.
- Fairburn, C. G., and Cooper, Z. (1993). The Eating Disorder Examination (EDE). In Fairburn, C. G., and Wilson, G. T. (eds.), Binge Eating: Nature, Assessment and Treatment, Guilford Press, New York.
- Fairburn, C. G., Norman, P. A., Welch, S. A., O'Connor, M. E., Doll, H. A., and Peveler, R. C. (1995). A prospective study of outcome in bulimia nervosa and the long-term effects of three psychological treatments. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 52: 304-312.
- Fallon, A. E., and Rozin, P. (1985). Sex differences in perceptions of desirable body shape. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 94: 102-105.
- Foster, D. W. (1994). Diabetes mellitus. In Isselbacher, K. J., Braunwald, E., Wilson, J. D., Martin, J. B., Fauci, A. S., and Kasper, D. L. (eds.), Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, McGraw-Hill, New York, pp. 979-2006.
- Franzoi, S. L., and Shields, S. A. (1984). The Body Esteem Scale: Multidimensional structure and sex differences in a college population. J. Person. Assess. 48: 173-178.
- Garner, D. M. (1991). Eating Disorders Inventory-2, Psychological Assessment Resources, Odessa, FL.
- Garner, D. M., Olmsted, M. A., and Polivy, J. (1983). Development and validation of a multidimensional eating disorder inventory for anorexia nervosa and bulimia. Int. J. Eat. Disord. 2: 15-34.
- Garrow, J. S., and Webster, J. (1985). Quetelet's index (W/H2) as a measure of fatness. Int. J. Obesity 9: 147-153.
- Harter, S. (1985). Processes underlying the construction, maintenance and enhancement of the selfconcept in children. In Suls, J., and Greenwald, A. G. (eds.), Psychological Perspectives on the Self, Vol. 3, Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ, pp. 137-181.
- Lowe, M. R., Gleaves, D. H., DiSimone-Weiss, R. T., Furgueson, C., Gayda, C. A., Kolsky, P. A., Neal-Wadden, T., Nelsen, L. A., and McKinney, S. (1996). Restraint, dieting and the continuum model of bulimia nervosa. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 105: 508-517.
- Lustman, P. J., Griffiths, L. S., Gavard, J. A., and Clouse, R. E. (1992). Depression in adults with diabetes. Diabetes Care 15: 1631-1639.
- McAllister, R., and Caltabiano, M. L. (1994). Self-esteem, body-image and weight in non eatingdisordered women. Psychol. Reports 75: 1339-1343.
- Peveler, R. C., Fairburn, C. G., Boller, I., and Dunger, D. (1992). Eating disorders in adolescents with IDDM: A controlled study. Diabetes Care 15: 1356-1360.
- Pliner, P., Chaiken, S., and Flett, G. L. (1990). Gender differences in concern with weight and physical appearance over the life span. Person. Soc. Psychol. Bull. 16: 263-273.
- Polivy, J., and Herman, C. P. (1985). Dieting and bingeing: A causal analysis. Am. Psychol. 40: 193-201.
- Rodin, J., Silberstein, L., and Striegel-Moore, R. (1985). Women and weight: A normative discontent. In Sonderegger, T. B. (ed.), Psychology and Gender: Nebraska Symposium on Motivation, 1984, University of Nebraska Press, Lincoln.
- Rosenberg, M. (1965). Society and Adolescent Self-image, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- Rozin, P., and Fallon, A. (1988). Body image, attitudes to weight, and misperceptions of figure preferences of the opposite sex: A comparison of men and women in two generations. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 97: 342-345.
- Shoemaker, C., van Strien, T., and van der Staak, C. (1994). Validation of the Eating Disorders Inventory in a nonclinical population using transformed and untransformed responses. Int. J. Eat. Disord. 15: 387-393.
- Silberstein, L. R., Striegel-Moore, R. H., Timko, C., and Rodin, J. (1988). Behavioral and psychological implications of body dissatisfaction: Do men and women differ? Sex Roles 19: 219-232.
- Steel, J. (1996). Eating disorders in young diabetic women. Pract. Diabetes Int. 13: 64-67.
- Steel, J. M., Young, R. J., Lloyd, G. G., and Clarke, B. F. (1987). Clinically apparent eating disorders in young diabetic women associated with painful neuropathy and other complications. Br. Med. J. 294: 859-862.
- Steel, J. M., Young, R. J., Lloyd, G. G., and MacIntyre, C. C. A. (1989). Abnormal eating attitudes in young insulin-dependent diabetics. Br. J. Psychiatry 155: 515-521.
- Stevens, C., and Tiggemann, M. (1998). Women's body figure preferences across the life span. J. Genet. Psychol. 159: 94-102.
- Striegel-Moore, R. H., McAvay, G., and Rodin, J. (1986a). Psychological and behavioural correlates of feeling fat in women. Int. J. Eat. Disord. 5: 935-947.
- Striegel-Moore, R. H., Silberstein, L. R., and Rodin, J. (1986b). Toward an understanding of the risk factors for bulimia. American Psychologist 41: 246-263.
- Striegel-Moore, R. H., Nicholson, A. J., and Tamborlane, W. V. (1992). Prevalence of eating disorder symptoms in preadolescent and adolescent girls with IDDM. Diabetes Care 15: 1361-1368.
- Thomas, C. D., and Freeman, R. J. (1990). The Body Esteem Scale: Construct validity of the female subscales. J. Person. Assess. 54: 204-212.
- Thompson, J. K., and Altabe, M. (1991). Psychometric qualities of the figure rating scale. Int. J. Eat. Disord. 10: 615-619.
- Tiggemann, M. (1992). Body-size dissatisfaction: Individual differences in age and gender, and relationship with self-esteem. Person. Indiv. Diff. 13: 39-43.
- Tiggemann, M. (1994). Gender differences in the interrelationships between weight dissatisfaction, restraint, and self-esteem. Sex Roles 30: 319-330.
- Tiggemann, M. (1996). “Thinking” vs “ feeling” fat: Correlates of two indices of body image dissatisfaction. Austral. J. Psychol. 48: 21-25.
- Tiggemann, M. (1997). Dieting in moderation: The role of dietary restraint in the relationship between body dissatisfaction and psychological well-being. J. Health Psychol. 2: 501-507.
- Wing, R. R. (1995). Treatment of obesity in diabetic patients. In Brownell, K. D., and Fairburn, C. G. (eds.), Eating Disorders: A Comprehensive Handbook, Guilford Press, New York, pp. 520-523.
- Wing, R. R., Marcus, M. D., Epstein, L. H. Blair, E. H., and Burton, L. R. (1989). Binge eating in obese patients with Type II diabetes. Int. J. Eat. Disord. 8: 671-679.
- Wing, R. R., Marcus, M. D., Blair, E. H., Epstein, L. H., and Burton, L. R. (1990). Depressive symptomology in obese adults with Type II diabetes. Diabetes Care 13: 170-172.
- The Role of Body Dissatisfaction and Bingeing in the Self-Esteem of Women with Type II Diabetes
Journal of Behavioral Medicine
Volume 22, Issue 1 , pp 59-74
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- TYPE II DIABETES
- BODY DISSATISFACTION