II. Utilization of Mental Health Services in a Tri-Ethnic Sample of Adolescents
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In our study of a tri-ethnic sample of 2528junior and high school students, we examined utilizationof outpatient mental health services in relation to anumber of variables cited in the literature as leading to potential biases and barriers tocare. These include: age, gender, ethnicity,socioeconomic status, family size and composition, andlinguistic fluency in Hispanic youth. The impact ofservice availability was examined through differencesbetween the two regions studied: a well-served region ofcoastal southeast Texas and the markedly under servedlower Rio Grande Valley. The impact of symptomatology was evaluated using the total problem score onthe Youth Self Report by Achenbach. Hispanic youth hadsignificantly lower mean service utilization thannon-Hispanic whites. Multiple regression analyses demonstrated that socioeconomic status andfamily composition had a greater relative impact onutilization than all other non-clinical factors, bothfor the total sample as well as for the Hispanic sample. Ethnicity may play a significant role in childmental health services utilization through its closeassociation to socioeconomic status.
- Cohen, R., Parmelee, D., Irwin, L., Weisz, J., Howard, P., Purcell, P., & Best, A. (1990) Characteristics of Children and Adolescents in a Psychiatric Hospital and a Correctional Facility. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 29,6, 909–913.
- Costello, J., Burns, B., Angold, A., & Leaf, P. (1993) How Can Epidemiology Improve Mental Health Services for Children and Adolescents. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 32,6, 1106–1114.
- Cross, T, Bazron, B., Dennis, K., and Isaacs, M. (1989) Towards a Culturally Competent System of Care.Washington, D.C.: CASSP Technical Assistance Center, Georgetown University Child Development Center.
- Cuffe, S.P., Waller, J., Cuccaro, M., Pumariega, A.J., & Garrison, C.Z. (1995) Race and Gender Differences in the Treatment of Psychiatric Disorders in Young Adolescents. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescents, 34,11, 1536–1543. CrossRef
- Fabrega, H., Ulrich, R., & Mezzich, J.E. (1993) Do Caucasians and Black Adolescents Differ at Psychiatric Intake? Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 32,2, 407–413.
- Hoberman, H.M. (1992) Ethnic Minority Status and Adolescent Mental Health Utilization. Journal of Mental Health Administration, 19,3, 246–267.
- Kaplan, S.L. & Busner, J. (1992) A Note on Racial Bias in the Admission of Children and Adolescents to State mental Health Facilities Versus Correctional Facilities in New York. American Journal of Psychiatry, 149,6, 768–772.
- Kilgus, M.D., Pumariega, A.J., & Cuffe, S.P. (1995) Race and Diagnosis in Adolescent Psychiatric Inpatients. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 34,1, 67–72.
- Mason, M.A. & Gibbs, J.T. (1992) Patterns of Adolescent Hospitalization: Implications for Social Policy. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 62,3, 447–457.
- Pumariega, A.J., Atkins, D.L., Dentzler, S., Montgomery, L., Rogers, K., and Caesar, R. (1995) Psychopathology and Services Utilization in Incarcerated versus Hospitalized Youth. Scientific Proceedings of the Fifth Annual Conference on State Mental Health Agency Research. Alexandria, Va.: NASMHPD Research Institute, pp. 83–85.
- Pumariega, A.J., Holzer, C.E., & Nguyen, H. (1991) Cross-Ethnic Comparison of Behavioral Symptomatology. Proceedings of the 39th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Washington, D.C.: American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. Volume VIII, New Research Abstract No. 119.
- Zahner, G., Pawelkiewicz, W., De Francesco, J., & Adnopoz, J. (1992) Children’s Mental Health Service Needs and Utilization Patterns in an Urban Community: An Epidemiological Assessment. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 31,5, 951–960, 1992.
- II. Utilization of Mental Health Services in a Tri-Ethnic Sample of Adolescents
Community Mental Health Journal
Volume 34, Issue 2 , pp 145-156
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links