Covariant Majorana Formulation of Electrodynamics
- Salvatore Esposito
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We construct an explicit covariant Majorana formulation of Maxwell electromagnetism which does not make use of vector 4-potential. This allows us to write a “Dirac” equation for the photon containing all the known properties of it. In particular, the spin and (intrinsic) boost matrices are derived and the helicity properties of the photon are studied.
- S. Esposito, Phys. Lett. A 225, 203 (1997).
- D. Mugnai, A. Ranfagni, R. Ruggeri, and A. Agresti, Phys. Rev. Lett. 68, 259 (1992).
- M. W. Evans, Found. Phys. 24, 1519, 1671 (1994), and references therein.
- M. W. Evans, “The derivation of the Majorana form of Maxwell's equations from the B–cyclic theorem,” submitted for publication. M. W. Evans to E. Recami, private communication.
- B. Gaveau, T. Jacobson, M. Kac, and L. S. Schulman, Phys. Rev. Lett. 53, 419 (1984).
- E. Majorana, Scientific Papers, unpublished, deposited at the “Domus Galileana,” Pisa, quaderno 2, p. 101/1; 3, pp. 11 and 160; 15, p. 16; 17, pp. 83 and 159; see also the first reference in Ref. 7 and the catalog of Majorana's scientific unpublished papers published by R. Mignani, M. Baldo, and E. Recami in E. Majorana, Lezioni all'Universita di Napoli (Bibliopolis, Naples, 1987). E. Majorana, Nuovo Cimento 9, 335 (1932).
- R. Mignani, E. Recami, and M. Baldo, Lett. Nuovo Cimento 11, 568 (1974). See also E. Giannetto, Lett. Nuovo Cimento 44, 140, 145 (1985).
- L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifschitz, The Classical Theory of Fields, 4th edn. (Pergamon, Oxford, 1975).
- D. V. Ahluwalia, M. B. Johnson, and T. Goldman, Phys. Lett. B 316, 102 (1993).
- Covariant Majorana Formulation of Electrodynamics
Foundations of Physics
Volume 28, Issue 2 , pp 231-244
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors