The Participation of Families of Homeless Personswith Severe Mental Illness in an OutreachIntervention
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Objectives: This study describes how anAssertive Community Treatment (ACT) team which employsa family outreach worker (FOW) interacts with homelesspersons with severe mental illness and their families. Methods: The team's ratings of thefrequency and importance of clients' and treatmentteam's family contact are summarized and compared withindependent research reports on patients' satisfactionwith family relations, housing and hospitalizationoutcomes. Results: 73% of clients had contact with theirfamilies. ACT worked with families of 61% of clients.ACT had less contact with the families of men (p <.01) and substance abusers (p. < 01). Client daysin stable housing were associated with increased ACTfamily contact (p < .05). Conclusions: Most ACTclients had significant family contact. ACT establishedcontact with most families, and the work with familiesappeared to be associated with higher levels ofsatisfaction with family relations and housing. The roleof the FOW should be explored further.
- Biegel, D.E., Song, L., & Milligan, S.E. (1995). A comparative analysis of family caregivers' perceived relationships with mental health professionals. Psychiatric Services, 46,477–482.
- Dixon, L., Krauss, N., Kernan, E., Lehman, A.F., DeForge, B.R. (1995). Modifying the PACT model to serve homeless persons with severe mental illness. Psychiatric Services, 46,684–688.
- Dixon, L., McNary, S., & Lehman, A.(1995). Substance abuse and family relationships of persons with severe mental illness. American Journal of Psychiatry, 152,456–458.
- Dixon, L.B. & Lehman, A.F. (1995). Family interventions for schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Bulletin, 21,631–643.
- Gershon, E.S., DeLisi, L.E., Hamovit, J. Nurnberger, J.I., Maxwell, M.E., Schreiber, J., Dauphinais, D. Dingman, C.W., Guroff, J.J. (1988). A controlled family study of chronic psychoses: schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder. Archives of General Psychiatry, 45,328–336.
- Hatfield, A.B. (1990). Family Education in Mental Illness,The Guilford Press, New York.
- Lam, D.H. (1991). Psychosocial family intervention in schizophrenia. Psychological Medicine, 21,423–441.
- Lehman, A.F. (1988). Quality of life interview for the chronically mentally ill. Evaluation and Program Planning, 11,51–62.
- Lehman AF, Dixon LB, Kernan E, DeForge BR (1997). A randomized trial of assertive community treatment for homeless persons with severe mental illness. Archives of General Psychiatry, 54, 1038–1043.
- Marsh, D. (1992). Families and Mental Illness: New Directions in Professional Practice.New York: Praeger.
- Robinson, C.T., Dixon, L., Stewart, B., Harold, J., Lehman, A.F. (1993). Family connections of the homeless mentally ill, Poster Session, 146th Annual Meeting of the American Psychiatric Association, San Francisco, CA.
- Scott, J.E., Dixon. L.B. (1995). Assertive community treatment and case management for schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Bulletin, 21,657–667.
- Spitzer, R.L., Williams, J.B.W. (1987). Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-III-R.New York, Biometrics Research Department, New York State Psychiatric Institute.
- Stein, L.I., Test, M.A. (1980). Alternative to mental hospital treatment: I. Conceptual model, treatment program and clinical evaluation. Archives of General Psychiatry, 37,392–397.
- Susser, E.S., Lin, S.P., Conover, S.A., & Struening, E.L. (1991). Childhood antecedents of homelessness in psychiatric patients. American Journal of Psychiatry, 148,1026–1030.
- Tessler, R., Gamache, P.H., Rossi, P.H., Lehman, A., & Goldman, H. (1992). The kindred bonds of homeless mentally ill persons. The New England Journal of Public Policy, Spring,265–280.
- Tessler, R.C. and Dennis, D.L. (1992). Mental illness among homeless adults: A synthesis of recent NIMH-funded research. In Research in Community and Mental Health,edited by Greenley, J.R. and Leaf, P.J., Greenwich, Conn. JAI Press, pp. 1–51.
- The Participation of Families of Homeless Personswith Severe Mental Illness in an OutreachIntervention
Community Mental Health Journal
Volume 34, Issue 3 , pp 251-259
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links