Comparison of Hg and Pb Fluxes to Hummocks and Hollows of Ombrotrophic Big Heath Bog and to Nearby Sargent Mt. Pond, Maine, USA
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Two hummock cores (separated by 1 m), two hollow cores (separated by 1 m and both within 5 m of the hummock) from ombrotrophic Big Heath, and a single core from Sargent Mountain Pond (12 km north-northeast of the bog), Mt. Desert Island, Acadia National Park, Maine, USA were collected in 1983 and dated using 210Pb and analyzed for a suite of major and trace metals. The hummock cores correspond closely in terms of dating profiles, concentrations of Hg and Pb, and thus trends and values for accumulation rates. The hollow cores agree generally with each other but give more subdued peaks in concentration and lower integrated anthropogenic burdens of Hg and Pb and 50% lower unsupported 210Pb than the hummock cores. Σ210Pbuns. (Bq/cm2), ΣHganth. (ng/cm2), and ΣPbanth. (µg/cm2) for the two hummock cores were 0.744 and 0.773, ≈ 130 and 130 (ng/cm2), and ≈ 159 and 138 (µg/cm2), respectively. The values for Sargent Mountain Pond were 0.411, 269, and 72, respectively. Hummock cores agree closely with the lake sediment core with respect to timing of maximum accumulation rates which occurred in the 1970s;
Background atmospheric deposition rates of Hg and Pb to coastal Maine appear to have been about 2.5 to 3 ng/cm2/yr and <0.2 µg/cm2/yr, respectively. Atmospheric deposition of Hg and Pb increased to as much as 20 ng/cm2/yr and 2 µg/cm2/yr, respectively, by the 1970s and has decreased since then. Probably more than 50% of the Hg and Pb are deposited in dry and occult deposition.
- Abbott, C.C., 1994.: Unpub. M. Sc. Thesis, University of Maine, 56p.
- Akielaszek, J.J. and Haines, T.A.: 1981, Bull. Environ. Contam. and Tox. 27, 201–208.
- Appleby, P.G. and Oldfield, F.: 1978, Catena 5, 1–8.
- Appleby, P.G., Nolan, P., Gifford, D.W., Godfrey, M.J., Oldfield, F., Anderson, N.J., and Hattarbee, R.W.: 1986, Hydrobiologia 141, 21–27.
- Benoit, J.M., Fitzgerald, W.F., and Damman, A.W.H.: 1994, in Mercury Pollution: Integration and Synthesis (Watras, C. and Huckabee, J., eds.), Lewis Pub., Boca Raton, Fl. 187–202.
- Binford, M.W., Kahl, J.S., and Norton, S.A.: 1993, J. Paleolim. 9, 275–296.
- Buckley, D.E. and Cranston, R.E.: 1971, Chem. Geol. 7, 273–284.
- Burke, J., Hoyer, M., Keeler, G., and Scherbatskoy, T.: 1995, Water, Air, Soil Poll. 80, 353–362.
- Charles, D.F., et al., 1986, Paleoecological Investigation of Recent Lake Acidification: Methods and Project Description, Chapters, 4, 9, and 10, Electric Power Research Institute, Palo Alto, CA.
- Davis, R.B. and Doyle, R.W.: 1969, Limnol. Oceanog. 14, 643–648.
- Driscoll, C.T., Yan, C., Schofield, C.L., Munson, R., Holsapple, J., and Charles, D.: in press, Temporal patterns in the chemistry and transport of mercury of a small wetland and lake sediments in the Adirondack Region of New York, USA.
- Eisenreich, S.J., Metzer, N.A., and Urban, N.R.: 1986, Environ. Sci. Technol. 20, 171–174.
- Engstrom, D.R., Swain, E.B., Henning, T.A., Brigham, M.E., and Brezonik, P.L.: 1994, In: Environmental Chemistry of Lakes and Reservoirs (Baker, L. A., ed.), Am. Chem. Soc. Advances in Chemistry Series No. 237, Am. Chem. Soc. 33–66.
- Engstrom D.R. and Swain, E.B.: 1997, Environ. Sci. Technol. (in press)
- Hamilton, S.J. and Haines, T.A.: 1989, Can. J. Fish. Aq. Sci. 46, 440–446.
- Kahl, J.S., Andersen, J.L., and Norton, S.A.: 1985, National Park Service Technical Report #16, 123 p.
- Lindberg, S.E., Turner, R.R., Meyers, T.P., Taylor, G.E., Jr., and Schroeder, W.H.: 1991, Water, Air, Soil Poll. 56, 577–594.
- Matty, J.M. and Long, D.T.: 1995, J. Great Lakes Res. 21, 574–586.
- Normandeau Associates, see Akielaszek and Haines
- Norton, S.A.: 1987, In: Effects of Atmospheric Pollutants on Forests, Wetlands, and Agricultural Systems (Hutchinson, T.C. and Meema, K.M., eds.), Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, 561–576.
- Norton, S.A.: 1990, Maine Dept. of Conservation Bulletin 34, 39p.
- Norton, S.A., Hess, C.T., Blake, G.M., Morrison, M.L., and Baron, J.: 1985, Can. J. Fish. Aq. Sci. 42, 1249–1254.
- Norton, S.A. and Kahl, J.S.: 1987, In: New Approaches to Monitoring Aquatic Ecosystems (Boyle, T. P., ed.), Amer. Soc. Test. Mater., Philadelphia, 40–57.
- Norton, S.A. and Kahl, J.S.: 1991, Hydrobiologia 214, 77–84.
- Norton, S.A., Verta, M., and Kahl, J.S.: 1991, Verh. Internat. Verein. Limnol. 24, 2989–2993.
- Norton, S.A., Bienert, R.W. Jr., Binford, M.W., and Kahl, J.S.: 1992, J. Paleolimn. 7, 191–214.
- Rada, R.G., Powell, D.E., and Wiener, J.G.: 1993, Can. Jour. Fish. and Aquatic Sci. 50, 865–873.
- Ryan, J.M.: 1991, Unpub. M. Sc. Thesis, University of Maine, 46p.
- Swain, E.B., Engstrom, D.R., Brigham, M.E., Henning, T.A., and Brezonik, P.L.: 1992, Science 257, 784–787.
- Comparison of Hg and Pb Fluxes to Hummocks and Hollows of Ombrotrophic Big Heath Bog and to Nearby Sargent Mt. Pond, Maine, USA
Water, Air, and Soil Pollution
Volume 100, Issue 3-4 , pp 271-286
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors