Optimal Crop Planning and Conjunctive Use of Water Resources in a Coastal River Basin
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Due to increasing trend of intensive rice cultivation in a coastal river basin, crop planning and groundwater management areimperative for the sustainable agriculture. For effective management, two models have been developed viz. groundwater balance model and optimum cropping and groundwater management model to determine optimum cropping pattern and groundwater allocation from private and government tubewells according to different soil types (saline and non-saline), type of agriculture(rainfed and irrigated) and seasons (monsoon and winter). A groundwater balance model has been developed considering mass balance approach. The components of the groundwater balance considered are recharge from rainfall, irrigated rice and non-rice fields, base flow from rivers and seepage flow from surface drains. In the second phase, a linear programming optimization model is developed for optimal cropping and groundwater management for maximizing the economic returns. Themodels developed were applied to a portion of coastal river basin in Orissa State, India and optimal cropping pattern forvarious scenarios of river flow and groundwater availability wasobtained.
- Afshar, A. and Marino, M. A.: 1989, 'Optimization models for wastewater reuse in irrigation', Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineerintg, ASCE, 115(2), 185–203.
- Allen, R. G., Pereira, L. S., Raes, D. and Smith, M.: 1998, Guidelines for Computing Crop Water Requirements, FAO Irrigation and Drainage Paper 56, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, Italy, 135 pp.
- Burt, C. R.: 1970, 'Ground water storage control under institutional restrictions', Water Resources Research 66, 1540–1548.
- Chang, Y-L.: 1993, Quantitative Systems for Business Pluts, Version 3.0, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, U.S.A.
- Chavez-Morales, J., Marino, M. A. and Holzapfel, E. A.: 1987, 'Planning model of irrigation district', Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineerintg, ASCE, 113(4), 549–564.
- Cummings, R. G. and Winkle, D.: 1974, 'Water Resources Management in Arid Environments', Water Resources Research 10(5), 909–915.
- Dastane, N. G.: 1977, Effective Rainfall in Irrigated Agriculture, FAO, Irrigation, and Drainage Paper no. 25, Rome.
- Delleur, J. W.: 1998, The Hand Book of Groundwater Engineering, CRC Press and Springer-verlag, pp. I 34–35.
- Doorenbos, J. and Pruitt, W. O.: 1977, Guidelines for Predicting Crop Water Requirements,FAO, Irrigation, and Drainage Paper no.24, Rome.
- Groundwater Estimation Committee: 1984, Norms for Groundwater Assessment, National Bank of Agriculture and Rural Development, Bombay, India.
- Hargraves, G. and Samani, Z. A.: 1985, 'Reference crop evapotranspiration from temperature', Transactions, ASAE, 1(2), 96–99.
- Hallaji, K. and Yazicigil, H.: 1996, 'Optimal management of a coastal aquifer in southern Turkey', Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management ASCE, 122(4), 233–244.
- Kaushal, M. P., Khepar, S. D. and Panda, S. N.: 1985, 'Saline groundwater management and optimal cropping pattern', Water International 10(2), 86–91.
- Khepar, S. D. and Chaturvedi, M. C.: 1982, 'Optimum cropping and groundwater management', Water Resources Bulletin 18(4), 655–660.
- Kumar, R. and Pathak, S. K.: 1989, 'Optimal crop planning for a region, International Journal of Water Resources Develpoment 5(2), 99–105.
- Loftis, J. C. and Houghtalen, R. J.: 1987, 'Optimizing temporal water allocation by irrigation ditch companies', Transaction, ASAE, 30(4), 1075–1082.
- Loucks, D. P., Stedinger, J. R. and Haith, D. A.: 1981, Water Resources Systems Planning and Analysis, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N. J.
- Maji, C. C. and Heady, E. O.: 1980, 'Optimal reservoir management and crop planning under deterministic and stochastic inflows', Water Resources Bulletin 16(3), 438–443.
- Mayya, S. G. and Prasad, R.: 1989, 'System analysis of tank irrigation. I: Crop staggering', Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, ASCE, 115(3), 384–405.
- Panda, S. N., Khepar, S. D. and Kaushal, M. P.: 1985, 'Stochastic irrigation planning: An application of chance constrained linear programming', Journal of Agric. Engineerinig, ASCE, 22(2), 93–105.
- Panda, S. N., Khepar, S. D. and Kaushal, M. P.: 1996, 'Interseasonal irrigation system planning for waterlogged sodic soils', Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, ASCE, 123(3), 135–144.
- Paudyal, G. N. and Gupta, A. D.: 1990, 'Irrigation planning by multilevel optimization', Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, ASCE, 116(2), 273–291.
- Paul, S., Panda, S. N. and Nagesh Kumar, D.: 2000, 'Optimal irrigation allocation: a multilevel approach', Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, ASCE, 126(3), 149–156.
- Pleban, S., Labadie, J. W. and Hurmann, D. F.: 1983, 'Optimal short term Irrigation Schedules', Transaction, ASAE, 26(1), 141–147.
- Rao, N. H., Sarma, P. B. S. and Chander, S.: 1990, 'Optimal multiple crop allocation of seasonal and intra seasonal irrigation water', Water Resources Research 26(4), 551–559.
- Sarma, P. S., Sodhi, S. K. and Rao, N. H.: 1983, Groundwater Management and Development in MRBC Area. Resources Analysis and Plan for Efficient Water Management, A case study of Mahi Right Bank Command Area, Gujurat, W.T.C., IARI, New Delhi.
- Satish Chandra, and Saxena, R. S.: 1975, 'Water Balance Study for Estmation of Groundwater Resources', Irrigation and Power Journal, CBIP, New Delhi: 32(4), 443–449.
- Sethi, L. N.: 2001, Decision Support System for Optimum Cropping and Groundwater Management, Unpublished Master of Technology Thesis, Agricultural and Food Engineering Department, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India.
- Smith, D. V.: 1973, 'Systems analysis and irrigation planning', Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, ASCE, 98(1), 107–115.
- Sritharan, S., Clima, W. and Richardson, E. V.: 1988, 'On-farm application of system design and project scale water management', Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, ASCE, 114(4), 622–643.
- Tyagi, N. K. and Dhruva Narayana, V. V.: 1984, 'Water use planning for alkali soils under reclamation', Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, ASCE, 110(2), 192–207.
- Vedula, S. and Mujumdar, P. P.: 1992, 'Optimal reservoir operation for irrigation of multiple crops', Water Resources Research 28(1), 1–9.
- Vedula, S. and Nagesh Kumar, D.: 1996, 'An integrated model for optimal reservoir operation for irrigation of multiple crops', Water Resources Research 32(4), 1101–1108.
- Yaron, D. and Dinar, A.: 1982, 'Optimal allocation of farm irrigation water during peak seasons', American Journal of Agriculture and Economy 64(4), 681–689.
- Optimal Crop Planning and Conjunctive Use of Water Resources in a Coastal River Basin
Water Resources Management
Volume 16, Issue 2 , pp 145-169
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- groundwater balance
- linear programming
- optimum cropping
- salinity and permissible mining allowance
- water resources management
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Agricultural and Food Engineering Department, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, 721302, India
- 2. Civil Engineering Department, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, 560012, India