The Internet doctor and medical ethics Ethical implications of the introduction of the Internet into medical encounters
- Göran Collste
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this article, consultation via the Internet and the use of the Internet as a source of medical information is examined from an ethical point of view. It is argued that important ethical aspects of the clinical interaction, such as dialogue and trust will be difficult to realise in an Internet-consultation. Further, it is doubtful whether an Internet doctor will accept responsibility. However, medical information via the Internet can be a valuable resource for patients wanting to know more about their disease and, thus, it is a means to enhancing their autonomy.
- Beauchamp, T.L. and J.F. Childress: 1989, Principles of Biomedical Ethics. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Buber, M.: 1923, Ich und Du. Leipzig, Insel.
- Engelhardt, T.: 1986, The Foundations of Bioethics. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Garpenby, P. and M. Husberg: 2000, Hälsoinformation idag och imorgon. CMT Rapport 2000: 3, Linköpings universitet, Linköping (unpublished).
- Health on the Net Foundation Code of Conduct. http://www. hon.ch/HONcode/Conduct.html
- Lucas, J.R.: 1995, Responsibility. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- McMullin, E.: 1983, 'Introduction', The Journal of Medicine and Philosophy 8, 2–4.
- Parker, M. and J.A. Muir Gray: 2001, 'What is the Role of Clinical Ethics Support in the Era of E-Medicine?', Journal of Medical Ethics 27(suppl I:i), 33–35. CrossRef
- Pellegrino, E.D. and D.C. Thomasma: 1981, A Philosophical Basis of Medical Practice. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Ramsey, P.: 1970, The Patient as Person. Explorations in Medical Ethics. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- Reiser, S.: 1978, Medicine and the Reign of Technology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Silberg, W.M., G.D. Lundberg and R.A. Musacchio: 1997, 'Assessing, Controlling, and Assuring the Quality of Medical Information on the Internet', Journal of American Medical Association 277, 1244–1245. CrossRef
- The Internet doctor and medical ethics Ethical implications of the introduction of the Internet into medical encounters
Medicine, Health Care and Philosophy
Volume 5, Issue 2 , pp 121-125
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- computer ethics
- medical ethics
- medical informatics
- Industry Sectors
- Göran Collste (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Centre for Applied Ethics, Linköping University, S-581 83, Linköping, Sweden