Soil-atmosphere exchange of CH4, CO2, NOx, and N2O in the Colorado shortgrass steppe under elevated CO2
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In late March 1997, an open-top-chamber (OTC) CO2 enrichment study was begun in the Colorado shortgrass steppe. The main objectives of the study were to determine the effect of elevated CO2 (∼720 μmol mol−1) on plant production, photosynthesis, and water use of this mixed C3/C4 plant community, soil nitrogen (N) and carbon (C) cycling and the impact of changes induced by CO2 on trace gas exchange. From this study, we report here our weekly measurements of CO2, CH4, NOx and N2O fluxes within control (unchambered), ambient CO2 and elevated CO2 OTCs. Soil water and temperature were measured at each flux measurement time from early April 1997, year round, through October 2000. Even though both C3 and C4 plant biomass increased under elevated CO2 and soil moisture content was typically higher than under ambient CO2 conditions, none of the trace gas fluxes were significantly altered by CO2 enrichment. Over the 43 month period of observation NOx and N2O flux averaged 4.3 and 1.7 in ambient and 4.1 and 1.7 μg N m−2 hr −1 in elevated CO2 OTCs, respectively. NOx flux was negatively correlated to plant biomass production. Methane oxidation rates averaged −31 and −34 μg C m−2 hr−1 and ecosystem respiration averaged 43 and 44 mg C m−2 hr−1 under ambient and elevated CO2, respectively, over the same time period.
- Amthor J S 1997 Plant respiratory responses to elevated CO2 partial pressure. In Advances in Carbon Dioxide Effects Research. Eds. LH Allen, MB Kirkham, DM Olszyk and C Whitman. 228 pp. Amer. Soc. of Agron. Special Publication 61. Madison, WI.
- Arnone J A III and Bohlen P J 1998 Stimulated N2O flux from intact grassland monoliths after two growing seasons under elevated CO2. Oecologia 116, 331-335.
- Bailey H P 1979 Semiarid climates: their definition and distribution. In Agriculture In Semiarid Environments. Eds. AE Hall, GH Cannell and HW Lawton. pp 73-97. Springer-Verlag. NY.
- CMDL 2000 Climate Monitoring and Diagnostic Laboratory (CMDL) of the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration, Boulder, CO, USA. N2O data from: ftp://ftp.cmdl.noaa.gov/hats/n2o/insitu GCs/global/. Hall, B.D. et al. Halocarbons and other Atmospheric Trace Species Group, CMDL Summary Report 1998-1999, NOAA/CMDL.
- Conroy J P 1992 Influence of elevated atmospheric CO2 concentrations on plant nutrition. Aust. J. Bot. 40, 445-456.
- Drake B G, Gonzalez-Meler M A and Long S P 1996 More efficient plants: a consequence of rising atmospheric CO2? Annual Rev. Plant Physiol. Molecular Biol. 48, 607-637.
- Groffman P M, Rice C W and Tiedje J M 1993 Denitrification in a tallgrass prairie landscape. Ecology 74, 855-862.
- Hu, S, Chapin III F S, Firestone M K, Field C B and Chiariello N R 2001 Nitrogen limitation of microbial decomposition in a grassland under elevated CO2. Nature 409, 188-191.
- Hunt H W, Ingham E R, Coleman D C, Elliott E T and Reid C P P 1988 Nitrogen limitation of production and decomposition in prairie, mountain meadow, and pine forest. Ecology 69, 1009-1016.
- Hungate B A, Canadell J and Chapin E S 1996 Plant species mediate changes in soil microbial N in response to elevated CO2. Ecology 77, 2505-2515.
- Hungate B A, Holland E A, Jackson R B, Chapin F S, Mooney H A and Fields C B 1997a The fate of carbon in grasslands under carbon dioxide enrichment. Nature 388, 576-579. CrossRef
- Hungate B A, Lund C P, Pearson H L and Chapin F S 1997b Elevated CO2 and nutrient addition alter soil N cycling and N trace gas fluxes with early season wet-up in a California annual grassland. Biogeochemistry 37, 89-109.
- Hungate B A, Chapin F S, Zhong H, Holland E A and Field C B 1997c Stimulation of grassland nitrogen cycling under carbon dioxide enrichment. Oecologia 109, 149-153.
- Hutchinson G L and Mosier A R 1981 Improved soil cover method for field measurement of nitrous oxide fluxes. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 45, 311-316.
- Ineson P, Coward P A and Hartwig U A 1998 Soil gas fluxes of N2O, CH4 and CO2 beneath Lolium perenne under elevated CO2: The Swiss free air carbon dioxide enrichment experiment. Plant Soil 198, 89-95.
- IPCC 1995 Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Climate Change 1994. Radiative Forcing of Climate Change and an Evaluation of the IPCC IS92 Emission Scenarios. Houghton, JT et al. (eds). Published for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge UK. 337 pp.
- Lauenroth W K and Milchunas D G 1991 Short-Grass Steppe. In Ecosystems of the World 81. Natural Grasslands. Ed. RT Coupland. pp 183-226. Elsevier, New York.
- Loiseau P and Soussana J F 2000 Effects of elevated CO2, temperature and N fertilization on nitrogen fluxes in a temperate grassland ecosystem. Global Change Biol. 6, 953-965.
- Martin R E, Scholes M C, Mosier A R, Ojima D S, Holland E S and Parton W J 1998 Controls on annual emissions of nitric oxide from soils of the Colorado shortgrass steppe. Global Biogeochem. Cycles 12, 81-91.
- Morgan J A, Knight W G, Dudley L W and Hunt H W 1994 Enhanced root system C-sink activity, water relations and aspects of nutrient acquisition in mycotrophic Bouteloua gracilis subjected to CO2 enrichment. Plant Soil 165, 139-146.
- Morgan J A, LeCain D R, Mosier A R and Milchunas D G 2001a Elevated CO2 enhances water relations and productivity and affects gas exchange in C3 and C4 grasses of the Colorado shortgrass steppe. Global Change Biol. 7, 451-466.
- Morgan J A, Newton P C D, Nosberger J and Owensby C E 2001b The influence of rising atmospheric CO2 on grassland ecosystems. Proceedings of the XIX International Grasslands Congress. pp. 973-980. Brazilian Society of Animal Husbandry, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Mosier A R, Schimel D S, Valentine D W, Bronson K F and Parton W J 1991 Methane and nitrous oxide fluxes in native, fertilized, and cultivated grasslands. Nature 350, 330-332. CrossRef
- Mosier A R, Valentine D W, Parton W J, Ojima D S, Schimel D S and Delgado J A 1996 CH4 and N2O fluxes in the Colorado shortgrass steppe: I. Impact of landscape and nitrogen addition. Global Biogeochem. Cycles 10, 387-399. CrossRef
- Mosier A R, Parton W J, Valentine D W, Ojima D S, Schimel D S and Heinemeyer O 1997 CH4 and N2O fluxes in the Colorado shortgrass steppe:2. Long-term impact of land use change. Global Biogeochem. Cycles 11, 29-42.
- Mosier A R, Parton W J and Phongpan S 1998 Long-term large N and immediate small N addition effects on trace gas fluxes in the Colorado shortgrass steppe. Biol. Fertil. Soils 28, 44-50.
- Owensby C E, Coyne P I and Auen L M 1993a Nitrogen and phosphorus dynamics of a tallgrass prairie ecosystem exposed to elevated carbon dioxide. Plant Cell Environ. 16, 843-850.
- Owensby C E, Coyne P I, Ham J M, Auen L M and Knapp A K 1993b Biomass production in a tallgrass prairie ecosystem exposed to ambient and elevated CO2. Ecol. App. 3, 644-653.
- Rice C W, Garcia F O, Hampton C O and Owensby C E 1994 Soil microbial response in tallgrass prairie to elevated CO2. Plant Soil 165, 67-74.
- Robinson D and Conroy J P 1999 A possible plant-mediated feedback between elevated CO2, denitrification and the enhanced greenhouse effect. Soil Biol. Biochem. 31, 43-53.
- Rogers H H, Runion G B and Krupa S V 1994 Plant responses to atmospheric CO2 enrichment with emphasis on roots and the rhizosphere. Environ. Pollut. 83, 155-189. CrossRef
- Sage RF 1994 Acclimation of photosynthesis to increasing atmospheric CO2: The gas exchange perspective. Photosynth. Res. 39, 351-368.
- Stitt M and Krapp A 1999 The interaction between elevated carbon dioxide and nitrogen nutrition: the physiological and molecular background. Pland Cell Environ. 22, 583-621.
- Williams E J and Fehsenfeld F C 1991 Measurement of soil nitrogen oxide emissions at three American ecosystems. J. Geophys. Res. 96, 1033-1042.
- Williams M A, Rice C W and Owensby E E 2001 Nitrogen competition in a tallgrass prairie ecosystem exposed to elevated carbon dioxide. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 65, 340-346.
- Woodmansee R G 1978 Additions and losses of nitrogen in grassland ecosystems. Bioscience 28, 448-453.
- Soil-atmosphere exchange of CH4, CO2, NOx, and N2O in the Colorado shortgrass steppe under elevated CO2
Plant and Soil
Volume 240, Issue 2 , pp 201-211
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- global change
- greenhouse gases
- Industry Sectors