Racism: What It Is and What It Isn't
- Lawrence Blum
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The words `racist' and `racism' have become so overused that they nowconstitute obstacles to understanding and interracial dialogue aboutracial matters. Instead of the current practice of referring tovirtually anything that goes wrong or amiss with respect to race as`racism,' we should recognize a much broader moral vocabulary forcharacterizing racial ills – racial insensitivity, racial ignorance,racial injustice, racial discomfort, racial exclusion. At the sametime, we should fix on a definition of `racism' that is continuouswith its historical usage, and avoids conceptual inflation. Isuggest two basic, and distinct, forms of racism that meet thiscondition – antipathy racism and inferiorizing racism. We should alsorecognize that not all racially objectionable actions are done froma racist motive, and that not all racial stereotypes are racist.
- Black, White Officers Cited in Noose Incident, Boston Globe, April 29, 1999, B1.
- Blum, L. (2002) I'm not a racist, but...: The moral quandary of race. Cornell University Press, Ithaca
- Margalit, A. (1996) The decent society. Harvard University Press, Cambridge
- Miles, R. (1989) Racism. Routledge, London
- Morrow, L. (1994). Time, b[12/5/94] cited in Extra!, vol. 9, #2, March/April 1996.
- Nuechterlein, J., in First things, August–September, 1996, from Chronicle of Higher Education, September 6.
- Schofield, J.W. (1989) Black and white in school: Trust, tension, or tolerance?. Teachers College Press, New York
- Schuman, H., Steeh, C., Bobo, L., Krysan, M. (1997) Racial attitudes in America: Trends and interpretation. Harvard University Press, Cambridge
- Shipler, D.K. (1997) A country of strangers: Blacks and whites in America. Vintage Books, NewYork
- Stephan, W. (1999) Reducing prejudice and stereotyping in schools. Teachers College Press, New York
- Tizon, A., Whale killing uncovers anti-Indian hatred, Boston Globe, May 30, 1999.
- Weinraub, B., Stung by criticism of fall shows, TV Networks add minority roles, New York Times, 1999.
- Racism: What It Is and What It Isn't
Studies in Philosophy and Education
Volume 21, Issue 3 , pp 203-218
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- racial anxiety
- racist jokes
- Lawrence Blum (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. 149 Prospect St., Cambridge, MA, 02139, USA