Nonlinear Disturbances in the Ionospheric E Region under the Action of Internal Gravity Waves
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We consider the influence of harmonics generated by an internal gravity wave (IGW) on the formation of nonlinear disturbances in the ionospheric E region. It is shown that the response of the lower ionosphere to the IGW propagation should be less efficient than the action of the IGW on the ionospheric F region. Nevertheless, if there are some thin layers (e.g., sporadic E layers) in the lower ionosphere, the response can be amplified; its amplitude is determined by the sharpness of the density gradient as compared with the characteristic scale of the atmosphere.
- Kelley, M.C., The Earth Ionosphere, Academic, 1989.
- Yeh, K.C. and Liu, C.H., Acoustic-Gravity Waves in the Upper Atmosphere, Rev. Geophys. Space Phys., 1974, vol. 12, no. 12, pp. 193-216.
- Hocke, K. and Schlegel, K., A Review of Atmospheric Gravity Waves and Travelling Ionospheric Disturbances: 1982-1995, Ann. Geophys., 1996, vol. 14, pp. 917-940.
- Kendall, P.C. and Pickering, W.M., Magnetoplasma Diffusion at F2 Region Altitudes, Planet. Space Sci., 1967, vol. 15, pp. 825-833.
- Gossard, E.E. and Hooke, W.H., Waves in the Atmosphere, London: Elsevier Sci., 1975.
- Natorf, L., Schlegel, K., and Wernik, A.W., Gravity Wave Parameters Derived from Travelling Ionospheric Disturbances Observed in the Auroral Zone, Radio Sci., 1992, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 829-840.
- Nekrasov, A.K. and Shalimov, S.L., Nonlinear Disturbances in the F-Region of the Ionosphere under the Action of Internal Gravitational Waves, Geomagn. Aeron., 1994, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 85-91.
- Hooke, W.H., E-Region Ionospheric Irregularities Produced by Internal Atmospheric Gravity Waves, Planet. Space Sci., 1969, vol. 17, no. 4, p. 749.
- Gershman, B.N., Ignat'ev, Yu.A., and Kamenetskaya, G.Kh., Mekhanizmy obrazovaniya ionosfernogo sporadicheskogo sloya ES na razlichnykh shirotakh (Mechanisms of Production of the ES Ionospheric Sporadic Layer at Various Latitudes), Moscow: Nauka, 1976.
- Blanc, E. and Rickel, D., Nonlinear Wave Fronts and Ionospheric Irregularities Observed by HF Sounding over a Powerful Acoustic Source, Radio Sci., 1989, vol.24, no. 3, pp. 279-288.
- Gurevich, A.V., Rinnert, K., and Schlegel, K., Low Frequency Fluctuations in the Lower E Region Described by Neutral Turbulence, in Plasma Instability in the Ionospheric E Region, Göttingen: Guvillier, 1996, pp. 5-8.
- Gershman, B.N. and Grigor'ev, G.I., Current Instability of Atmospheric Gravity Waves, Geomagn. Aeron., 1973, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 604-609.
- Grigor'ev, G.I., Acoustic Gravity Waves in the Earth's Atmosphere, Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Radiofiz., 1999, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 3-25.
- Huang, C.S. and Li, J., Weak Nonlinear Theory of the Ionospheric Response to Atmospheric Gravity Waves in the F Region, J. Atmos. Terr. Phys., 1991, vol. 53, no. 10, p. 903.
- Nekrasov, A.K., Nonlinear Saturation of Atmospheric Gravity Waves, J. Atmos. Terr. Phys., 1994, vol. 56, no. 8, pp. 931-937.
- Chiu, Y.T. and Ching, B.K., The Response of Atmospheric and Lower Ionospheric Layer Structures to Gravity Waves, Geophys. Res. Lett., 1978, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 539-542.
- Nonlinear Disturbances in the Ionospheric E Region under the Action of Internal Gravity Waves
Volume 40, Issue 2 , pp 118-122
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors