Nonlinear Disturbances in the Ionospheric E Region under the Action of Internal Gravity Waves
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We consider the influence of harmonics generated by an internal gravity wave (IGW) on the formation of nonlinear disturbances in the ionospheric E region. It is shown that the response of the lower ionosphere to the IGW propagation should be less efficient than the action of the IGW on the ionospheric F region. Nevertheless, if there are some thin layers (e.g., sporadic E layers) in the lower ionosphere, the response can be amplified; its amplitude is determined by the sharpness of the density gradient as compared with the characteristic scale of the atmosphere.
- Kelley, M.C., The Earth Ionosphere, Academic, 1989.
- Yeh, K.C., Liu, C.H. (1974) Acoustic-Gravity Waves in the Upper Atmosphere. Rev. Geophys. Space Phys 12: pp. 193-216
- Hocke, K., Schlegel, K. (1996) A Review of Atmospheric Gravity Waves and Travelling Ionospheric Disturbances: 1982-1995. Ann. Geophys 14: pp. 917-940
- Kendall, P.C., Pickering, W.M. (1967) Magnetoplasma Diffusion at F2 Region Altitudes. Planet. Space Sci 15: pp. 825-833
- Gossard, E.E., Hooke, W.H. (1975) Waves in the Atmosphere. Elsevier Sci., London
- Natorf, L., Schlegel, K., Wernik, A.W. (1992) Gravity Wave Parameters Derived from Travelling Ionospheric Disturbances Observed in the Auroral Zone. Radio Sci 27: pp. 829-840
- Nekrasov, A.K., Shalimov, S.L. (1994) Nonlinear Disturbances in the F-Region of the Ionosphere under the Action of Internal Gravitational Waves. Geomagn. Aeron 34: pp. 85-91
- Hooke, W.H. (1969) E-Region Ionospheric Irregularities Produced by Internal Atmospheric Gravity Waves. Planet. Space Sci 17: pp. 749
- Gershman, B.N., Ignat'ev, Y., Kamenetskaya, G.Kh. (1976) Mekhanizmy obrazovaniya ionosfernogo sporadicheskogo sloya ES na razlichnykh shirotakh. Nauka, Moscow
- Blanc, E. and Rickel, D., Nonlinear Wave Fronts and Ionospheric Irregularities Observed by HF Sounding over a Powerful Acoustic Source, Radio Sci., 1989, vol.24, no. 3, pp. 279-288.
- Gurevich, A.V., Rinnert, K., and Schlegel, K., Low Frequency Fluctuations in the Lower E Region Described by Neutral Turbulence, in Plasma Instability in the Ionospheric E Region, Göttingen: Guvillier, 1996, pp. 5-8.
- Gershman, B.N., Grigor'ev, G.I. (1973) Current Instability of Atmospheric Gravity Waves. Geomagn. Aeron 13: pp. 604-609
- Grigor'ev, G.I. (1999) Acoustic Gravity Waves in the Earth's Atmosphere. Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Radiofiz 42: pp. 3-25
- Huang, C.S., Li, J. (1991) Weak Nonlinear Theory of the Ionospheric Response to Atmospheric Gravity Waves in the F Region. J. Atmos. Terr. Phys 53: pp. 903
- Nekrasov, A.K. (1994) Nonlinear Saturation of Atmospheric Gravity Waves. J. Atmos. Terr. Phys 56: pp. 931-937
- Chiu, Y.T., Ching, B.K. (1978) The Response of Atmospheric and Lower Ionospheric Layer Structures to Gravity Waves. Geophys. Res. Lett 5: pp. 539-542
- Nonlinear Disturbances in the Ionospheric E Region under the Action of Internal Gravity Waves
Volume 40, Issue 2 , pp 118-122
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors