Diffractive Focusing of a Gaussian Beam
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The problem of diffraction of a spherical wave with Gaussian amplitude distribution on two infinitesimally thin and ideally reflecting screens with apertures on an optical axis is solved within the framework of the quasi-optical approximation. It is shown theoretically and experimentally that when a Gaussian beam illuminates such a type of bicomponent diffraction system with small Fresnel numbers in a near zone of the second screen, the effect of diffractive multifocal focusing of radiation is observed. In this case, the diffraction picture from the second screen in the focal planes represents the circular nonlocal bands of the Fresnel zones with a bright narrow peak at the center, whose intensity can exceed by six times the value of the incident wave intensity. The energy efficiency of diffractive focusing of Gaussian beams by the bicomponent diffraction system can be as high as 70%. The diffractive method proposed allows the focusing of wide-aperture beams without using classical refraction elements such as lenses and prisms, and it is applicable to both low-intensity and high-power radiation.
- Y. Li and E. Wolf, Opt. Commun., 39 (1981).
- V. N. Mahajan, Appl. Opt., 22, 3042 (1983).
- J. Ojeda-Castaneda, M. Martinez-Corral, P. Andres, and A. Pons, Appl. Opt., 33, 7611 (1994).
- M. Martinez-Corral and V. Climent, Appl. Opt., 35, 24 (1996).
- M. De, J. W. Y. Lit, and R. Tremblay, Appl. Opt., 7, 483 (1968).
- J. W. Y. Lit and R. Tremblay, J. Opt. Soc. Am., 59, 559 (1969).
- R. R. Letfullin, “Bicomponent diffraction system for focussing of radiation. 1. Theory,” Preprint No. 4 of the P. N. Lebedev Physical Institute, Moscow (2000).
- R. R. Letfullin and T. F. George, Appl. Opt., 39, 2545 (2000).
- R. R. Letfullin and O. A. Zayakin, Kvantovaya Élektron., 31, 339 (2001).
- R. R. Letfullin O. A. Zayakin, and T. F. George, Appl. Opt., 40, 2138 (2001).
- A. A. Aksenenko and M. L. Baranotsnikov, Detectors of Optical Radiation. Reference Book [in Russian], Radio and Svjaz', Moscow (1987).
- M. F. Yudin, M. N. Selivanov, O. F. Tishenko, A. I. Skorokhodov, and Yu. B. Tarbeev (eds.), Basic Terms in Metrology. Dictionary and Reference Book [in Russian], Standarty, Moscow (1989).
- Diffractive Focusing of a Gaussian Beam
Journal of Russian Laser Research
Volume 23, Issue 2 , pp 148-160
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Gaussian beams
- wave diffraction
- diffractive focussing of radiation
- bicomponent diffraction system