Documenting Science Teachers' Pedagogical Content Knowledge Through PaP-eRs
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper examines science teachers' pedagogical content knowledge and ways in which that knowledge might be captured, articulated and portrayed to others. The research from which this paper is drawn has involved interviews with experienced science teachers in an attempt to make the tacit nature of their practice explicit. Initially, case methodology was envisaged as being a way of documenting these teachers' pedagogical content knowledge. However, over time, the form of knowledge and information that we were gathering and attempting to portray extended beyond that which could reasonably be described as being case-based. Hence we have developed an approach to articulation and portrayal based on what we call the CoRe (Content Representation) – which represents the particular content/topic of the science teaching – and PaP-eRs (Pedagogical and Professional experience Repertoire) – which help to illuminate specific aspects of the CoRe and therefore offer insights into pedagogical content knowledge itself. The results of this study offer new ways of conceptualising what pedagogical content knowledge is and how it might be captured, documented and disseminated.
- Bell, B., Cowie, B. Researching formative assessment. In: Loughran, J. J. eds. (1999) Researching teaching: Methodologies and practices for understanding pedagogy. Falmer Press, London
- Fox, D. What will I do with all these questions?. In: Mitchell, I. J., Mitchell, J. eds. (1997) Stories of reflective teaching: A book of PEEL cases. PEEL Publishing, Melbourne
- Guba, E. G. (1981) Criteria for assessing the trustworthiness of naturalistic inquiries. Educational Communication and Technology Journal 29: pp. 75-91
- Ingvarson, L. C., Livingston, J., Loughran, J. J., & Haslam, F. (1995). Teaching science: Getting down to cases. A Monash University and Science Teachers' Association of Victoria project for the Department of Employment, Education and Training. Melbourne, Australia: Monash University.
- Kadar, P. (1988). Triggers for reflection. Unpublished Masters Thesis, Faculty of Education, Monash University.
- Korthagen, F. A. J., Kessels, J. P. A. M. (1999) Linking theory and practice: Changing the pedagogy of teacher education. Educational Researcher 28: pp. 4-17
- Loughran, J. J., Corrigan, D. J. (1991) Do you know your body: An assessment task. Australian Science Teachers Journal 37: pp. 44-48
- Loughran, J. J., Gunstone, R. F., Berry, A., Milroy, P., & Mulhall, P. (2000, April). Science cases in action: Developing an understanding of science teachers' pedagogical content knowledge. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the National Association for Research in Science Teaching, New Orleans.
- Loughran, J. J., Northfield, J. (1996) Opening the classroom door: Teacher, researcher, learner. Falmer Press, London
- Mitchell, I. J., Mitchell, J. (1997) Stories of reflective teaching: A book of PEEL cases. PEEL Publishing, Melbourne
- Milroy, P., Mulhall, P. (2000) Sharing science teachers' professional know-how. Lab Talk 44: pp. 7-10
- Mulhall, P., Milroy, P., Berry, A., Gunstone, R., & Loughran, J. (2000, June). Enhancing understanding of science pedagogical content knowledge for teachers and researchers. Paper presented at the annual conference of the Australasian Science Education Research Association, Fremantle, Western Australia.
- Roth, W.-M. Teaching and learning as everyday activity. In: Fraser, B. J., Tobin, K. G. eds. (1998) International handbook of science education. Kluwer Acad. Publ., Dordrecht, The Netherlands, pp. 169-181
- Schon, D. A. (1987) Educating the reflective practitioner: Toward a new design for teaching and learning in the professions. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco
- Schön, D. A. (1983) The reflective practitioner: How professionals think in action. Basic Books, New York
- Shulman, J. H. (1992) Case methods in teacher education. Teachers College Press, New York
- Shulman, L. S. (1986) Those who understand: Knowledge growth in teaching. Educational Researcher 15: pp. 4-14
- Shulman, L. (1987) Knowledge and teaching: Foundations of the new reform. Harvard Educational Review 57: pp. 1-22
- van Driel, J., Verloop, N, de Vos, W. (1998) Developing science teachers' pedagogical content knowledge. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 35: pp. 673-95
- Documenting Science Teachers' Pedagogical Content Knowledge Through PaP-eRs
Research in Science Education
Volume 31, Issue 2 , pp 289-307
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- pedagogical content knowledge
- science teachers' professional knowledge
- science teaching and learning