What do Candidates Maximize (and Why Should Anyone Care)?
- Jeffrey MilyoAffiliated withHarris School, University of Chicago
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Much empirical work on Congressional elections implicitly assumesthat candidates are vote-maximizers; this may be a fairassumption for challengers, but it is not a good description ofincumbent behavior. I present a general intertemporal utilitymaximizing model of candidate behavior, which includes vote-maximization as a special case. I then demonstrate that thesemodels have important consequences for both the design andinterpretation of empirical work.
- What do Candidates Maximize (and Why Should Anyone Care)?
Volume 109, Issue 1-2 , pp 119-139
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Jeffrey Milyo (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Harris School, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, 60637, U.S.A