Characterization and wash performance analysis of an SDS-stable alkaline protease from a Bacillus sp.
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An alkaline, SDS-stable protease optimally active at pH 11 from a Bacillus sp. RGR-14 was produced in a complex medium containing soybean meal, starch and calcium carbonate. The protease was active over a wide temperature range of 20–80 °C with major activity between 45 and 70 °C. The protease was completely stable for 1 h in 0.1% SDS and retained 70% of its activity in the presence of 0.5% SDS after 1 h of incubation. The enzyme was active in presence of surfactants (ionic and non-ionic) with 29% enhancement in activity in Tween-85 and was also stable in various oxidizing agents with 100 and 60% activity in presence of 1% sodium perborate and 1% H2O2, respectively. The enzyme was also compatible with commercial detergents (1% w/v) such as Surf, Ariel, Wheel, Fena and Nirma, retaining more than 70% activity in all the detergents after 1 h. Wash performance analysis of grass and blood stains on cotton fabric showed an increase in reflectance (14 and 25% with grass and blood stains, respectively) after enzyme treatment. However, enzyme in conjunction with detergent proved best, with a maximum reflectance change of 46 and 34% for grass and blood stain removal, respectively, at 45 °C. Stain removal was also effective after protease treatment at 25 and 60 °C.
- Abrige, M.V. & Pitcher, W.H. 1989 Industrial enzymology: a look towards future. Trends in Biotechnology 7, 330–335.
- Anwar, A. & Saleemuddin, M. 2000 Alkaline protease from Spilosoma obliqua: potential applications in bio-formulations. Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry 31, 85–89.
- Deane, S.M., Robb, F.T. & Woods, D.R. 1987 Production and activation of a SDS-resistant alkaline serine exoprotease of Vibrio alginolyticus. Journal of General Microbiology 133, 272–294.
- Erikson, N. 1996 Detergents. In Industrial enzymology, 2nd edn. eds. Godfrey, T. & West, S. The Macmillan Press Ltd, London. pp. 189–200. ISBN 0–333–594649.
- Godfrey, T. & West, S. 1996 Introduction to industrial enzymology. In Industrial Enzymology, 2nd edn. eds. Godfrey, T. & West, S. The Macmillan Press Ltd, London. pp. 1–8. ISBN 0–333–594649.
- Gupta, R., Gupta, K., Saxena, R.K. & Khan, S. 1999 Bleach-stable, alkaline protease from Bacillus sp. Biotechnology Letters 21, 135–138.
- Hasan, A.K.M.Q. & Tamiya, E. 1997 Cold-active protease CP70. Patent no. W09727313.
- Kitayama, M. 1992 New low-temperature alkaline protease. Japanese Patent no. JP4271781.
- Phadatare, U.S., Deshpande, V.V. & Srinivasan, C.M. 1993 High activity alkaline protease from Conidiobolus coronatus (NCL 86.2.20). Enzyme production and compatibility with commercial detergents. Enzyme and Microbial Technology 15, 72–76.
- Razak, C.N., Samad, A.Y.M., Basri, M., Yunus, W.Z.M.W., Ampon, K. & Salleh, B.A. 1994 Thermostable extracellular protease of Bacillus stearothermophilus: factors affecting its production. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology 10, 260–263.
- Saeki, K., Iwata, J., Watanabe, Y. & Tarnai, Y. 1994 Purification and characterization of an alkaline protease from Oerskovia xanthineolytica TK-I. Journal of Fermentation and Bioengineering 5, 554–556.
- Showell, M.S. 1999 Enzymes, detergent. In Encyclopedia of Bioprocess Technology: Fermentation, Biocatalysis and Bioseparation, Vol 2. eds. Flickinger, M.C. & Drew, S.W. A Wiley-Interscience publication, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York. pp. 958–971. ISBN 0–471–13822–3.
- Tamiya, E. & Nakamura, T. 1996 Protease active at low temperature. Patent no. JP8080190.
- Wolff, A.M., Showell, M.S., Venegal, G.M., Barnett, B.L. & Wertz, W.C. 1996 Laundry performance of subtilisin proteases. In Subtilisin Enzymes: Practical Protein Engineering, eds. Bott, R. & Betzel, C. Plenum Press, New York, pp. 113–120. ISBN 0–30645108–5.
- Yum, D.Y., Chung, H.C., Bai, D.H., Oh, D.H. & Yu, J.H. 1994 Purification and characterization of alkaline protease from an alkalophilic Streptomyces sp. Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry 58, 470–474.
- Characterization and wash performance analysis of an SDS-stable alkaline protease from a Bacillus sp.
World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
Volume 17, Issue 5 , pp 493-497
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Alkaline protease
- Bacillus sp.
- wash performance
- Industry Sectors