Social Tele-Embodiment: Understanding Presence
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Humans live and interact within the real world but our current online world neglects this. This paper explores research into Personal Roving Presence (PRoP) devices that provide a physical mobile proxy, controllable over the Internet to provide tele-embodiment. Leveraging off of its physical presence in the remote space, PRoPs provide important human verbal and non-verbal communication cues. The ultimate goal is a computer mediated communication (CMC) tool for rich natural human interaction beyond currently available systems. This paper examines PRoP design choices, system architecture, social issues, and evaluations of several user studies.
- http://www.dgp.toronto.edu/tp/other/tech.html). Ontario Telepresence Group.
- Brave, S. and Dahley, A. 1997. in Touch: A Medium for Haptic Interpersonal Communication. ACM SIGCHI.
- Clark, H.H. and Brennan, S.E. 1991. Grounding in Communication. Perspectives on Socially Shared Cognition, American Psychological Association: Washington, DC.
- Crisman, J.D., Cleary, M.E., and Rojas. 1998. The dieictically controlled wheelchair. Image and Vision Computing, 16(4):235–249.
- Daft, R.L. and Lengel, R.H. 1991. Organizational information requirements, media richness, and structural design. In Management Science, 32:554–571.
- Dourish, P. 1998. Using metalevel techniques in a flexible toolkit for CSCW applications. ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction, 5(2):109–155.
- Dourish, P., Adler, A., Bellotti, V., and Henderson, A. 1996. Your place or mine? Learning from long-term use of audio-video communication. Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW), 5(1):33–62.
- Dourish, P. and Bellotti, V. 1992. Awareness and coordination in shared workspaces. In Proc. ACM Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work CSCW'92 (Toronto, Ontario). New York: ACM.
- Fischer, C.S. 1992. America Calling: A Social History of the Telephone to 1940. University of California Press: Berkeley.
- Goertz, R. and Thompson, R. 1954. Electronically Controlled Manipulator. Nucleonics.
- Goldberg, K., Mascha, M., Gentner, S., Rothenberg, N., Sutter, C., and Wiegley, J. 1995. Desktop teleoperation via the World Wide Web.
- Goldberg, K. and Wallace, R. 1993. Data Dentata. ACM SIGGRAPH: Anaheim, CA.
- Grange, S., Fong, T., et al. 2000. Effective vehicle teleoperation on the World Wide Web. IEEE ICRA, San Francisco, CA.
- Hall, E.T. 1966. The Hidden Dimension, Doubleday: Garden City, NY.
- Ishii, H., Kobayashi, M., et al. 1993. Integration of interpersonal space and shared workspace: ClearBoard design and experiments. ACM Transactions on Information Systems, 11:349.
- Kiesler, S.B. 1978. Interpersonal Processes in Groups and Organizations, AHM Pub. Corp.: Arlington Heights, I1.
- Kuzuoka, H. and Ishimoda, G. 1995. Supporting position expressions for spatial workspace collaboration. Transactions of the Information Processing Society of Japan, 36(6):1379–1386.
- Marvin, C. 1988. When old Technologies were new: Thinking About Electric Communication in the Late Nineteenth Century, Oxford University Press: New York.
- Milgram, S. 1974. Obedience to Authority; an Experimental View, Harper & Row: New York.
- Murray, R.M., Li, Z., et al. 1994. A Mathematical Introduction to Robotic Manipulation, CRC Press: Boca Raton.
- Paulos, E. and Canny, J. 1997. Ubiquitous tele-embodiment: Applications and implication. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 46(6):861–877.
- Paulos, E. and Canny, J. 1998. PRoP: Personal Roving Presence, ACM SIGCHI: Los Angeles, CA.
- Reeves, B. and Nass, C.I. 1996. The Media Equation: How People Treat Computers, Television, and new Media like Real People and Places. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, MA.
- Richardson, A.E., Montello, D.R., et al. 1999. Spatial knowledge acquisition from maps and from navigation in real and virtual environments. Memory & Cognition, 27(4):741–750.
- Rocco, E. 1998. Trust breaks down in electronic contexts but can be repaired by some initial face-to-face contact.
- Sellen, A., Buxton, B., et al. 1992. Using spatial cues to improve videoconferencing.
- Sheridan, T.B. 1992. Telerobotics, Automation, and Human Supervisory Control, MIT Press: Cambridge, MA.
- Siegwart, R., Wannaz, C., et al. 1998. Guiding Mobile Robots through the Web. IEEE/RSJ Workshop, Victoria, Canada.
- Social Tele-Embodiment: Understanding Presence
Volume 11, Issue 1 , pp 87-95
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors