Receiving Antenna in a Magnetoplasma in the Resonance Frequency Band
- Yu. V. Chugunov
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We find the rms voltage on a receiving dipole antenna in the electromagnetic field of a quasipotential-wave packet in a magnetoplasma in the resonance frequency band. It is shown that this voltage can be determined as a product of the electromagnetic-field amplitude of the incident wave by the effective length Leff of the receiving antenna. For a short dipole whose length is much smaller than the electromagnetic-mode wavelength, the antenna effective length is proportional to the product of the dipole effective length in free space by the excitation coefficient of quasielectrostatic waves (non-normalized electric-field pattern of a dipole). In the case where the receiving antenna is located in proximity to the resonance cone on the lighted side, this excitation coefficient is much greater than unity. Therefore, the determined voltage differs significantly from the conventional estimate which is based on formulas valid for antennas in free space. We perform our derivations using the reciprocity theorem and the fluctuation-dissipation theorem applied to a regular electromagnetic field and a receiving antenna, which constitute the special case of a system which is not in equilibrium but allows an equilibrium (stationary state) to be reached between the incident radiation field and the electromagnetic field reemitted by the antenna. The emphasis is placed on the universal nature of the applied calculation procedure which is valid for arbitrary antennas and matters.
- A. A. Kulikovsky, ed., Handbook of Radioelectronics, Vol. 1 [in Russian], Énergiya, Moscow (1967).
- Mareev, E. A., Chugunov, Y. (1991) Antennas in Plasmas. Inst. Appl. Phys. Press, Nizhny Novgorod
- Andronov, A. A., Chugunov, Y. (1975) Soviet Phys. Usp. 18: pp. 343
- M. L. Levin and S. M. Rytov, Theory of Equilibrium Thermal Fluctuations in Electrodynamics [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1967).
- V. V. Zheleznyakov, Radiation in Astrophysical Plasmas, Kluwer, Dordrecht (1996).
- Felsen, L. B., Marcuvitz, N. (1973) Radiation and Scattering of Waves. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.
- Obolenskii, L. M., Chugunov, Y., Yashin, Y. (1969) Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Radiofiz. 12: pp. 1776
- Fel'd, Y. eds. (1950) Centimeter-Wave Antennas, Vol. 2. Sovetskoe Radio, Moscow
- James, H. G. (1999) Adv. Space Res. 24: pp. 1073
- Receiving Antenna in a Magnetoplasma in the Resonance Frequency Band
Radiophysics and Quantum Electronics
Volume 44, Issue 1-2 , pp 151-160
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Yu. V. Chugunov (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Applied Physics, Russian Academy of Sciences, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia