Phase Modification of Ammonium Nitrate by Potassium Salts
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Modification of the room temperature phase (IV-III) of ammonium nitrate (AN) has been attempted using a variety of potassium salts namely, KF, KCl, KI, KNO3, K2CO3, K2SO4, KSCN and K2Cr2O7. No phase transition was observed when AN containing 1–2% by mass of these potassium salts is heated from room temperature (25°C) onwards in DTA and DSC scans, but the linear expansion due to phase transition was still observable in TMA measurements. Complete arrest of the linear expansion occurs only when a higher concentration of the additive is used. Similarly, in thermal cycling experiments, complete phase modification in the temperature range -80 to 100°C occurs only with a higher percentage of the potassium salt. The extent of modification, however, is found to be dependent both on the concentration, and the type of the anion. Potassium dichromate when used as an additive modifies the phase as well as the decomposition pattern of AN.
- S. B. Hendricks, E. Posnjak and F. C. Kracek, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 54 (1932) 2766. CrossRef
- G. Rasolic, Lj. Milanovic and S. Jovanovic, J. Thermal Anal., 34 (1988) 1195. CrossRef
- E. Jóna, T. Sramko and D. Nagy, J. Thermal Anal., 27 (1983) 37. CrossRef
- E. Kestila and J. Valkonan, Thermochim. Acta, 214 (1993) 305. CrossRef
- I. Dellien, Thermochim. Acta, 55 (1982) 181. CrossRef
- L. Langfelderova and P. Ambrovic, Thermochim. Acta, 56 (1982) 385. CrossRef
- T. Sramko and E. Joan, Thermochim. Acta, 92 (1985) 731. CrossRef
- R. V. Coates and G. D. Woodard, J. Chem. Soc., 381 (1965) 2135. CrossRef
- A. N. Campbell and A. J. R. Campbell, Canadian J. Research, 24B (1946) 93.
- M. Q. Brewster and T. A. Sheridan, Final report, submitted to Thiocol Corporation, July 1990.
- A. Deimling, W. Engel and N. Eisenreich, J. Thermal Anal., 38 (1992) 843. CrossRef
- N. Eisenrich and W. Engel, J. Thermal Anal., 35 (1989) 577. CrossRef
- W. Engel and K. Menke, Defence Science Journal, 46 (1996) 311.
- C. N. R. Rao, B. Prakash and M. Natrajan, Crystal structure transformation in Inorganic nitrites, nitrates and carbonates, National Bureau of Standards, NSRDS-NNS53, May 1975.
- W. Engel, Propellants Explos. Pyrotechnics, 10 (1985) 84. CrossRef
- W. Engel, N. Eisenreich and A. Deimling, Proceedings of the 24th An. Conf. of ICT, 1993, p. 3.
- I. B. Mishra, US patent, 4552, 736 (1986).
- A. K. Mehrotra and M. I. Lee, US patent 5098683, CA, 117, 72668, (1992).
- W. Engel, Report (1989), CA, 113, (1990) 214884.
- S. Skaribas, T. C. Vaimakis and P. J. Pomonis, Thermochim. Acta, 158 (1990) 235. CrossRef
- Powder Diffraction File, compiled by JCPDS, International Center for diffraction data, Philadelphia, PA, USA (1990).
- G. Rasulic, S. Jovanovic and Lj. Milanovic, J. Thermal Anal., 30 (1985) 65. CrossRef
- J. Morand, Ann. Chim. (France), 10 (1955) 1018.
- Phase Modification of Ammonium Nitrate by Potassium Salts
Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry
Volume 55, Issue 3 , pp 903-918
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- ammonium nitrate
- phase modification
- potassium salts
- Industry Sectors