Incorporating Aspects of Information Use into Relevance Feedback
- Ian Ruthven
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper we look at some of the problems in interacting with best-match retrieval systems. In particular, we examine the areas of interaction, some investigations of the complexity and breadth of interaction and attempts to categorise user's information seeking behaviour. We suggest that one of the difficulties of traditional IR systems in supporting information seeking is the way the information content of documents is represented. We discuss an alternative representation, based on how information is used within documents.
- Bates M(1990) Where should the person stop and the information search interface start? Information, Processing and Management, 26(5):575–591.
- Beaulieu M(1997) Experiments with interfaces to support query expansion. Journal of Documentation, 53(1):8–19.
- Belkin NJ, Cool C, Stein A and Thiel U (1995) Cases, scripts and information-seeking strategies: On the design of interactive information retrieval systems. Expert Systems with Applications, 9(30):379–395.
- Belkin NJ, Koenemann J, Cool C, Park S and Ng KB (1996) Information seeking behavior in new searching environment. In: CoLIS 2, Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Conceptions of Library and Information Science: Integration in Perspective, pp. 403–416, Royal School of Librarianship, Copenhagen.
- Denos N, Berrut C and Mechkour M (1997) An image system based on the visualization of system relevance via documents. In: Database and Expert Systems Applications (DEXA 97), 8th International Conference, Toulouse, France.
- Ellis D (1989) A behavioural approach to information system design. Journal of Documentation, 45(3):171–212.
- Florance V and Marchionini G (1995) Information processing in the context of medical care. In: Proceedings of the 18th Annual International ACMSIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, pp. 158–163, Seattle, Washington, USA.
- Ingwersen P (1992) Information Retrieval Interaction. Taylor-Graham.
- Rocchio Jr JJ (1971) Relevance Feedback in Information Retrieval, Prentice-Hall, Ch. 14.
- Kuhlthau CC (1993) Principle for uncertainty for information seeking. Journal of Documentation, (4):339–355.
- Robertson SE and Sparck Jones K (1976) Relevance weighting of search terms. Journal of the American Society of Information Science, 27:129–146.
- Ruthven I and Lalmas M (1999) Selective relevance feedback using term characteristics. In: CoLIS 3 Proceedings of the third international conference on conceptions of library and information science, digital libraries interdisciplinary concepts, challenges and opportunities, pp. 219–232, Dubrounik, Croatia.
- Shneiderman B, Byrd D and Croft WB. Sorting out searching: A user-interface framework for text searches. CACM, 41(4):95–98.
- Incorporating Aspects of Information Use into Relevance Feedback
Volume 2, Issue 1 , pp 83-88
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- relevance feedback
- information seeking
- Industry Sectors
- Ian Ruthven (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Computing Science, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, G12 8QQ, Scotland