High-resolution mapping adjacent to the Pc71 crown-rust resistance locus in hexaploid oat
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The D526-derived BC1F2 population of hexaploid oat segregates for resistance to crown rust isolate 345. A mapping population consisting of 440 F2 individuals was used to develop a high-resolution RFLP map of the area of the genome where Pc71, the locus conferring this resistance, is located. Twelve RFLP markers have been identified within ca. 6 cM of Pc71, with cosegregating loci Xcdo1502 and Xcdo783 positioned 0.2 cM from the locus. All of the RFLP markers map to the same side of the locus, suggesting either that the Pc71 resistance locus resides at the end of a linkage group, or that there is no detectable heterozygosity on the opposite side. Some degree of microcollinearity between rice and oat is present in this area, as the two markers, Xcdo783 and Xrz69, linked to Pc71 are linked also in rice; however the genetic distance in oat is much less than the genetic distance in rice (6.2 cM and 20 cM, respectively).
- Ahn S, Anderson JA, Sorrells ME, Tanksley SD: Homoeologous relationships of rice, wheat and maize chromosomes. Mol Gen Genet 241: 483–490 (1993).
- Ahn S, Tanksley SD: Comparative linkage maps of the rice and maize genomes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90: 7980–7984 (1993).
- Arumuganathan K, Earle ED: Nuclear DNA content of some important plant species. Plant Mol Biol Rep 9: 208–218 (1991).
- Berhan AM, Hulbert SH, Butler LG, Bennetzen JL: Structure and evolution of the genomes of Sorghum bicolor and Zea mays. Theor Appl Genet 86: 598–604 (1993).
- Browning JA, Frey KJ: Multiline cultivars as a means of disease control. Ann Rev Phytopath 7: 355–381 (1969).
- Bush AL, Wise RP, Rayapati PJ, Lee M: Restriction fragment length polymorphisms linked to genes for resistance to crown rust (Puccinia coronata) in near isogenic lines of hexaploid oat (Avena sativa). Genome 37: 823–831 (1994).
- Civardi L, Xia Y, Edwards K, Schnable P, Nikolau B: The relationship of genetic to physical distances in the cloned a1-sh2 interval of the Zea mays L. genome. Proc Natl Acad Sci, USA 91: 8268–8272 (1994).
- DeScenzo RA, Wise RP: Variation in the ratio of physical to genetic distance in intervals adjacent to the Mla locus on barley chromosome 1H. Mol Gen Genet 251: 472–482 (1996).
- Dunford RP, Kurata N, Laurie DA, Money TA, Minobe Y, Moore G: Conservation of fine-scale DNA marker order in the genomes of rice and the Triticeae. Nucl Acids Res 23: 2724–3728 (1995).
- Frey KJ, Browning JA, Simons MD: Registration of ‘Multiline E76’ and ‘Multiline E77’ oats. Crop Sci 25: 1125 (1985).
- Frey KJ, Simons MD, Michel LJ, Murphy JP, Browning JA: Registration of Webster oat isolines as parental lines. Crop Sci 28: 386–387 (1988).
- Graingenes: A database for small grains and sugarcane. Electronic file available via the Internet World Wide Web at: URL http://probe.nalusda.gov:8300/cgi-bin/browse/grainge nes
- Gulbranson LR, Kinian SF, Linvingston SL, O'Donoughue LS, Phillips RL, Rines HW. Use of genomic markers to increas linkage map coverage in oat. In: Crop Science Society of America Annual Meeting. 1995. American Society of Agronomy, St. Louis, MO (1995).
- Hulbert SH, Richter TE, Axtell JD, Bennetzen JL: Genetic mapping and characterization of sorghum and related crops by means of maize DNA probes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 87: 4251–4255 (1990).
- Jellen EN, Phillips RL, Rines HW, Rooney WL: Molecular genetic identification of Avena chromosomes related to the group 1 chromosomes of the Triticeae. Genome 38: 185–189 (1995).
- Kilian A, Kudrna DA, Kleinhofs A, Yano M, Kurata K, Steffenson B, Sasaki T: Rice-barley synteny and its application to saturation mapping of the barley Rpg1 region. Nucl Acids Res 23: 2729–2733 (1995).
- Lander E, Green P, Abrahamson J, Barlow A, Daly MJ, Lincoln SE, Newburn L: MAPMAKER: An interactive computer package for constructing primary genetic linkage maps of experimental and natural populations. Genomics 1: 174–181 (1987).
- Murphy HC: Physiologic specialization in Puccinia coronata avenae. US Dept Agric Tech Bull 48 (1935).
- Namuth DN, Lapitan NLV, Gill KS, Gill BS: Comparative RFLP mapping of Hordeum vulgare and Triticum tauschii. Theor Appl Genet 89: 865–872 (1994).
- O'Donoughue LS, Kianian SF, Rayapati PJ, Penner GA, Sorrells ME, Tanksley SD, Phillips RL, Rines HW, Lee M, Fedak G, Molnar SJ, Hoffman D, Salas CA, Wu B, Autrique E, Van Deynze A: A molecular linkage map of cultivated oat. Genome 38: 368–380 (1995).
- O'Donoughue LS, Wang Z, Röder M, Keen B, Leggett M, Sorrells ME, Tanksley SD: An RFLP-based linkage map of oats based on a cross between two diploid taxa (Avena atlantica _ A. hirtula). Genome 35: 765–771 (1992).
- Rayapati PJ, Gregory JW, Lee M, Wise RP: A linkage map of diploid Avena based on RFLP loci and a locus conferring resistance to nine isolates of Puccinia coronata var.' avenae'. Theor Appl Genet 89: 831–837 (1994).
- Ronald PC, Albano B, Tabien R, Abenes L, Wu KS, McCouch S, Tanksley SD: Genetic and physical analysis of the rice bacterial blight disease resistance locus, Xa21. Mol Gen Genet 236: 113–120 (1992).
- Simons MD, Crown Rust. In: Roelfs AP, Bushnell WR (eds) The Cereal Rusts, vol. II, pp. 132–172. Academic Press, New York (1985).
- Van Deynze AE, Dubcovsky J, Gill KS, Nelson JC, Sorrells ME, Dvorák J, Gill BS, Lagudah ES, McCouch SR, Appels R: Molecular-genetic maps for group 1 chromosomes of Triticeae species and their relation to chromosomes in rice and oat. Genome 38: 45–59 (1995).
- Van Deynze AE, Nelson JC, O'Donoughue LS, Ahn SA, Siripoonwiwat W, Harrington SE, Yglesias ES, Braga DP, McCouch SR, Sorrells ME: Comparative mapping in grasses. Oat relationships. Mol Gen Genet 249: 349–356 (1995).
- Van Deynze AE, Nelson JC, Yglesias ES, Harrington SE, Braga DP, McCouch SR, Sorrells ME: Comparative mapping in grasses. Wheat relationships. Mol Gen Genet 248: 744–754 (1995).
- Wang GL, Holsten TE, Song WY, Wang HP, Ronald PC: Construction of a rice bacterial artificial chromosome library and identification of clones linked to the Xa-21 disease resistance locus. Plant J 7: 525–533 (1995).
- Whitkus R, Doebley J, Lee M: Comparative genome mapping of sorghum and maize. Genetics 132: 1119–1130 (1992).
- Wise RP, Schnable PS: Mapping complementary genes in maize: Positioning the rf1 and rf2 nuclear-fertility restorer loci of Texas (T) cytoplasm relative to RFLP and visible markers. Theor Appl Genet 88: 785–795 (1994).
- Woo SS, Jiang J, Gill BS, Paterson AH, Wing RA: Construction and characterization of a bacterial artificial chromosome library of Sorghum bicolor. Nucl Acids Res 22: 4922–4931 (1994).
- Yu GX, Bush AL, Wise RP: Comparative mapping of homoeologous group 1 regions and genes for resistance to obligate biotrophs in Avena, Hordeum, and Zea mays. Genome 39: 155–164 (1996).
- Zhang HB, Choi S, Woo SS, Li Z, Wing RA: Construction and charaterization of two rice bacterial artificial chromosome libraries from the parents of a permanent recombinant inbred mapping population. Mol Breed 2: 11–24 (1996).
- High-resolution mapping adjacent to the Pc71 crown-rust resistance locus in hexaploid oat
Volume 4, Issue 1 , pp 13-21
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- bacterial artificial chromosome (BAC)
- oat crown rust
- Puccinia coronata
- RFLP mapping
- Industry Sectors