Effect of buffering on the phosphate-solubilizing ability of microorganisms
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Native microflora present in the alkaline vertisols and two phosphate-solubilizing bacteria (PSB) isolated from soil using conventional screening media could not release phosphorus from alkaline Indian vertisol soils supplemented with carbon and nitrogen sources. The two PSBs could solubilize both rock phosphate and di-calcium phosphate in unbuffered media but failed to solubilize rock phosphate in buffered media. The organic acids secreted by these PSBs were 20–50 times less than that required to solubilize phosphorus from alkaline soil.
- Ae, N., Arihara, J. & Okada, K. 1991 In Phosphorus Nutrition of Grain Legumes, eds Johansen, C., Lee, K.K. & Sharawat, K.L. pp. 33–41. India: International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics.
- Ames, B.N. 1964 Assay of inorganic phosphate, total phosphate and phosphatases. Methods in Enzymology 8, 115–118.
- Asea, P.E.A., Kucey, R.M.N. & Stewart, J.W.B. 1988 Inorganic phosphate solubilization by two Penicillium species in solution culture and soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 20, 459–464.
- Bolan, N.S., Robson, A.D. & Barrow, N.I. 1987 Effect of vesicular arbuscular mycorrhiza on availability of iron phosphates to plants. Plant and Soil 99, 401–410.
- Cunningahm, J.E. & Kuiack, C. 1992 Production of citric and oxalic acids and solubilization of calcium phosphate by Penicillium bilaii. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 58, 1451–1458.
- Goldstein, A.H. 1986 Bacterial solubilization of mineral phosphates: historical perspective and future prospects. American Journal of Alternative Agriculture 1, 51–57.
- Goldstein, A.H. & Liu, S.T. 1987 Molecular cloning and regulation of mineral phosphate solubilizing gene from Erwinia herbicola. Bio/Technology 5, 72–74.
- Halder, A.K., Misra, A.K. & Chakrabarty, P.K. 1991 Solubilization of inorganic phosphates by Bradyrhizobium. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology 29, 28–31.
- Halder, A.K., Banerjee, A., Misra, A.K. & Chakrabarty, P.K. 1992 Role of NH4 and NO3 on release of soluble phosphate from hydroxyapatite by Rhizobium and Bradyrhizobium. Journal of Basic Microbiology 32, 325–330.
- Halder, A.K. & Chakrabarty, P.K. 1993 Solubilization of inorganic phosphates by Rhizobium. Folia Microbiologia 38, 325–330.
- Kpomblekou, A.K. & Tabatabai, M.A. 1994 Effect of organic acids on the release of phosphorus from phosphate rocks. Soil Science 158, 442–448.
- Kucey, R.M.N., Janzen, H.H. & Legett, M.E. 1989 Microbially mediated increases in plant-available phosphorus. Advances in Agronomy 42, 198–228.
- Nahas, E. 1996 Factors determining rock phosphate solubilization by microorganisms. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology 12, 567–572.
- Ramsay, W.N.M. 1957 The determination of iron in blood, plasma or serum. Clinical Chimica Acta 2, 214–220.
- Roos, W. & Luckner, M. 1984 Relationships between proton extrusion and fluxes of ammonium ions and organic acid in Penicillium cyclopium. Journal of General Microbiology 130, 1007–1014.
- Sambrook, J., Fritsch, E.F. & Mariatis, T. 1989 Molecular Cloning: a Laboratory Manual, 2nd edn. Cold Spring Harbor, NY: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.
- Sperber, J.I. 1957 Solubilization of mineral phosphates. Nature 180, 994–995.
- Subba Rao, N.S. 1982 In Advances in Agricultural Microbiology, ed Subba Rao, N.S. pp. 295–305. New Delhi: Oxford & IBH Publishing Co.
- Tandon, H.L.S. 1987 Phosphorus-Research and Production in India, New Delhi: Fertiliser Development and Consultation Organisation.
- Effect of buffering on the phosphate-solubilizing ability of microorganisms
World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
Volume 14, Issue 5 , pp 669-673
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Organic acids and phosphate solubilizing microorganisms
- phosphate solubilization
- Industry Sectors