Implementing a Probabilistic Clock Synchronization Algorithm
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper we present a new probabilistic clock synchronization algorithm, its prototype implementation and experimental results. The algorithm follows the client-server programming paradigm and is designed to work in a departmental environment with few servers and a number of clients connected through an arbitrary network topology.
At the core of the algorithm is a remote clock reading method that mitigates the negative effects of message delay uncertainty. The implementation proves the effectiveness of this approach and corroborates the theoretical speculations.
- Alari, B. and Ciuffoletti, A. Improving the probabilistic clock synchronization algorithm. In Proceedings of the 18th Euromicro Conference, Paris, 1992.
- Arvind, K. (1994) Probabilistic clock synchronization in distributed systems. IEEE Transaction on Parallel and Distributed Systems 5: pp. 474-487
- Ciuffoletti, A. Using simple diffusion to synchronize the clocks in a distributed system. In Proc. 14th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, pages 484–491, Poznan (Poland), June 1994.
- Comer, D. (1988) Internetworking with TCP/IP: principles, protocols and architectures. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ
- Cristian, F. Clock synchronization in the presence of omission and performance faults, and processor joins. In Proceedings of the 16th Fault Tolerant Computing Symposium, Vienna, 1986.
- Cristian, F. (1989) Probabilistic clock synchronization. Distributed Computing 3: pp. 146-158
- Dijkstra, E.W. (1974) Self-stabilizing systems in spite of distributed control. Communications of the ACM 17: pp. 643-644
- Dolev, S., Welch, J.L. (1995) Self-stabilizing clock synchronization in the presence of byzantyne faults. Second Workshop on Self-Stabilizing Systems. University of Nevada, Las Vegas, pp. 86-735
- Herzberg, A., Attya, H. and Rajsbaum, S. Optimal clock synchronization under different delay assumptions. In 12th ACM Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing, Ithaca, NY, 1993.
- Kernighan, B.W., Ritchie, D.M. (1988) The C programming language. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ
- Kopetz, H., Ochsenreiter, W. (1987) Clock synchronization in distributed real-time systems. IEEE Transactions on Computers c-36: pp. 933-940
- Lamport, L. (1984) Using time instead of timeout for fault-tolerant distributed systems. ACM Journal of Programming Languages and Systems 6: pp. 254-280
- Lamport, L. (1985) Synchronizing clocks in the presence of faults. Journal of the ACM 32: pp. 52-78
- Lundelius, J., Lynch, N.A. (1984) An upper and lower bound for clock synchronization. Information Control 62: pp. 190-204
- Olson, A. and Shin, K. Probabilistic clock synchronization in large distributed systems. In Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, Arlington, Texas, 1991.
- Patt-Shamir, B. and Rajsbaum, S. A theory of clock synchronization. In ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 1994.
- Schneider, F.B. (1986) A paradigm for reliable clock synchronization. Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- Srikanth, T.K., Toueg, S. (1987) Optimal clock synchronization. Journal of the ACM 34: pp. 626-645
- Stevens, W.R. (1990) UNIX network programming. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ
- Implementing a Probabilistic Clock Synchronization Algorithm
Volume 13, Issue 1 , pp 25-46
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- clock synchronization
- probabilistic algorithms
- distributed systems
- distributed algorithms
- local area networks
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Departement d'Ingegnerie Informatique, Université Catholique de Louvain, Place St. Barbe, 2, B-1348, Louvain La Neuve, Belgique
- 2. Dipartimento di Informatica, Università degli Studi di Pisa, Corso Italia n. 40, 56125, Pisa, Italy