Implementing a Probabilistic Clock Synchronization Algorithm
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper we present a new probabilistic clock synchronization algorithm, its prototype implementation and experimental results. The algorithm follows the client-server programming paradigm and is designed to work in a departmental environment with few servers and a number of clients connected through an arbitrary network topology.
At the core of the algorithm is a remote clock reading method that mitigates the negative effects of message delay uncertainty. The implementation proves the effectiveness of this approach and corroborates the theoretical speculations.
- Alari, B. and Ciuffoletti, A. Improving the probabilistic clock synchronization algorithm. In Proceedings of the 18th Euromicro Conference, Paris, 1992.
- Arvind, K. Probabilistic clock synchronization in distributed systems. IEEE Transaction on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 5(5):474–487, 1994.
- Ciuffoletti, A. Using simple diffusion to synchronize the clocks in a distributed system. In Proc. 14th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, pages 484–491, Poznan (Poland), June 1994.
- Comer, D. Internetworking with TCP/IP: principles, protocols and architectures. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1988.
- Cristian, F. Clock synchronization in the presence of omission and performance faults, and processor joins. In Proceedings of the 16th Fault Tolerant Computing Symposium, Vienna, 1986.
- Cristian, F. Probabilistic clock synchronization. Distributed Computing, (3):146–158, 1989.
- Dijkstra, E.W. Self-stabilizing systems in spite of distributed control. Communications of the ACM, 17(11):643–644, 1974.
- Dolev, S. and Welch, J.L. Self-stabilizing clock synchronization in the presence of byzantyne faults. Second Workshop on Self-Stabilizing Systems, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Technical Report TR 86-735, 1995.
- Herzberg, A., Attya, H. and Rajsbaum, S. Optimal clock synchronization under different delay assumptions. In 12th ACM Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing, Ithaca, NY, 1993.
- Kernighan, B.W. and Ritchie, D.M. The C programming language, second edition. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1988.
- Kopetz, H. and Ochsenreiter, W. Clock synchronization in distributed real-time systems. IEEE Transactions on Computers, c-36(8):933–940, 1987.
- Lamport, L. Using time instead of timeout for fault-tolerant distributed systems. ACM Journal of Programming Languages and Systems, 6(2):254–280, 1984.
- Lamport, L. Synchronizing clocks in the presence of faults. Journal of the ACM, 32(1):52–78, 1985.
- Lundelius, J. and Lynch, N.A. An upper and lower bound for clock synchronization. Information Control, 62:190–204, 1984.
- Olson, A. and Shin, K. Probabilistic clock synchronization in large distributed systems. In Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, Arlington, Texas, 1991.
- Patt-Shamir, B. and Rajsbaum, S. A theory of clock synchronization. In ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 1994.
- Schneider, F.B. A paradigm for reliable clock synchronization. Technical Report TR 86-735, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 1986.
- Srikanth, T.K. and Toueg, S. Optimal clock synchronization. Journal of the ACM, 34(3):626–645, 1987.
- Stevens, W.R. UNIX network programming. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ., 1990.
- Implementing a Probabilistic Clock Synchronization Algorithm
Volume 13, Issue 1 , pp 25-46
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- clock synchronization
- probabilistic algorithms
- distributed systems
- distributed algorithms
- local area networks
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Departement d'Ingegnerie Informatique, Université Catholique de Louvain, Place St. Barbe, 2, B-1348, Louvain La Neuve, Belgique
- 2. Dipartimento di Informatica, Università degli Studi di Pisa, Corso Italia n. 40, 56125, Pisa, Italy