The use of image analysis for PM10 characterisation of volumetric air samples taken in Cardiff since 1956
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study investigates the size, composition andconcentration of airborne particles. These featuresare examined from continuously recorded volumetricdaily air samples, taken by Burkard and Hirst trapsfrom the center of Cardiff City and samples fromselected sites around Cardiff. The set of slides isunique as it dates from 1954 to the present day, andcontains data, which precedes any other routinemeasurements of PM10.
Image analysis has not been used previously to examinePM10 from slides taken by Hirst-type traps, but it hasbeen demonstrated as an important application inalternative projects. The advantages of being able toperform simple but tedious measurements quickly makeit an important tool for this project. It can alsomeasure a number of images simultaneously and quantifyparameters that would otherwise have been based onqualitative subjective comparisons.
Environmental data including wind speeds, rain falland temperature measurements are investigated toexamine the influence on the temporal variation of theabundance and characteristics of airborne particulatematter. Confounding factors that may have impacts oncardiovascular and respiratory illness are beingexamined. These include data on aeroallergens (pollenand fungal spore counts), nitrogen oxide, sulphurdioxide, and carbon monoxide. The project will beextended to an analysis of the results in relation tohealth data.
- Department of Health: 1995, Health Effects of Exposures to Mixtures of Air Pollutants. HMSO, London.
- Department of Health: 1995, Asthma and Outdoor Air Pollution. HMSO, London.
- Department of Health: 1995, Non-biological Particles and Health. HMSO, London.
- Department of the Environment: 1995, Particles. HMSO, London.
- Houghton M.E. and Amidon G.E.: 1992, Microscopic characterization of particle size and shape: an inexpensive and versatile method. Pharmaceutical Research 9(7), 856-859.
- Joyce-Loebl: 1985, Image Analysis: Principles and Practice: A Technical Handbook. Gateshead.
- Kisner H.J.: 1988, Principles and clinical applications of image analysis in Clinics in Lab. Medicine 8(4), 723-736.
- Microscopy-Pollution Analysis: 1974, Greens Farms: International Scientific Communications Inc. (Laboratory instrumentation). Series 1:3.
- Quality of Urban Air Review Group: 1993, Diesel Vehicle Emissions and Urban Air Quality. Department of the Environment.
- Quality of Urban Air Review Group: 1993, Urban Air Quality in the UK. Department of the Environment, London.
- Quality of Urban Air Review Group: 1996, Airborne Particulate Matter in the United Kingdom. Department of the Environment.
- Russ J.C.: 1995, The Image Processing Handbook, 2nd ed. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla., London.
- Walters G. and Ayres J.: 1994, Temporal association between hospital admissions for asthma in Birmingham and ambient levels of sulphur dioxide and smoke. Thorax 49, 133-140.
- The use of image analysis for PM10 characterisation of volumetric air samples taken in Cardiff since 1956
Volume 16, Issue 1 , pp 131-135
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- image analysis