A comparative study of dynamic, ductile fracture initiation in two specimen configurations
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this work a single edge notched plate (SEN(T)) subjected to a tensile stress pulse is analysed, using a 2D plane strain dynamic finite element procedure. The interaction of the notch with a pre-nucleated hole ahead of it is examined. The background material is modelled by the Gurson constitutive law and ductile failure by microvoid coalescence in the ligament connecting the notch and the hole is simulated. Both rate independent and rate dependent material behaviour is considered. The notch tip region is subjected to a range of loading rates J by varying the peak value and the rise time of the applied stress pulse. The results obtained from these simulations are compared with a three point bend (TPB) specimen subjected to impact loading analysed in an earlier work . The variation of J at fracture initiation, J c, with average loading rate J is obtained from the finite element simulations. It is found that the functional relationship between J c and J is fairly independent of the specimen geometry and is only dependent on material behaviour.
- Priest, A.H. (1976). Influence of strain rate and temperature on the fracture and tensile properties of several metallic materials. In Proc. Intl. Conf. on Dynamic Fracture Toughness, 95–111 Welding Institute, Cambridge.
- Cox, T.B. and Low, J.R. (1974). An investigation of the plastic fracture of AISI 4340 and 18Ni-200 grade maraging steels. Metall. Trans. 5, 1457–1470.
- Basu, S. and Narasimhan, R. (1999) A finite element study of the effects of material characteristics and crack tip constraint on dynamic, ductile fracture initiation. J. Mech. Phys. Solids 47, 325–350.
- Pan, J., Saje, M. and Needleman, A. (1983). Localisation of deformation in rate sensitive porous plastic solids. Int J. Fracture 21, 261–278.
- Rice, J.R. and Johnson, M.A. (1970). The role of large geometry changes in plane strain fracture. In Inelastic Behaviour of Solids(Edited by Kanninen, M.F., Adler, A.R., Rosenfield, A.R. and Jaffe, R.I.), pp. 641–672. McGraw Hill, New York.
- Aravas, N. and McMeeking, R.M. (1985). Finite element analysis of void growth near a blunting crack tip. J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 33, 25–49.
- Ghosal, A.K. and Narasimhan, R. (1997) A finite element study of the effect of void initiation and growth on mixed-mode ductile fracture. Mech. Mater. 25, 113–127.
- Costin, L. S., Duffy, J. and Freund, L. B. (1985). Fracture initiation in metals under stress wave loading conditions. In Fast Fracture and Crack Arrest, ASTM STP 627, pp. 310–318.
- Homma, H., Shockey, D. A. and Murayama, Y. (1983). Response of cracks in structural materials to short pulse loads. J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 31, 261–279.
- Owen, D., Zhuang, S., Rosakis, A. J. and Ravichandran, G. (1998) Experimental determination of dynamic crack initiation and propagation fracture toughness in thin aluminium sheets. Int. J. Fracture 90, 153–174.
- Owen, D., Rosakis, A.J., and Johnson, W.L. (1998). Dynamic failure mechanisms in Berillium-bearing bulk metallic glasses. SM Report 98–22, GALCIT, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, U.S.A.
- Freund, L. B. (1990). Dynamic Fracture Mechanics. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Guduru, P. R., Singh, R. P., Ravichandran, G. and Rosakis, A. J. (1997). Dynamic crack initiation in ductile steels. GALCIT Report, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, U.S.A.
- Venkert, A., Guduru, P. R. and Ravichandran, G. (1998). Mechanisms of dynamic failure in Ni-Cr steels. SM Report 98–5, GALCIT, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, U.S.A.
- Gurson, A.L. (1977). Continuum theory of ductile rupture by void nucleation and growth – Part I. J. Engng. Mat. Tech. 99, 2–15.
- Basu, S. and Narasimhan, R. (1996). Finite element simulation of Mode I dynamic, ductile fracture initiation. Int. J. Solids Struct. 33, 1191–1207.
- Brown, L.M. and Embury, J.D. (1973). Initiation and growth of voids at second phase particles. In Proc. Third Intl. Conf. on Strength of Metals and Alloys, pp. 164–179. Inst. of Metals, London.
- Andersson, H. (1977). Analysis of a model for void growth and coalescence ahead of a moving crack tip. J. Mech. Phys. Solids 25, 217–233.
- Tvergaard, V. (1982). Influence of void nucleation on ductile shear fracture at a free surface. J. Mech. Phys. Solids 30, 399–415.
- Thomason, P.F. (1990). Ductile fracture of metals. Pergamon Press, Oxford.
- Chu, C.C. and Needleman, A. (1980). Void nucleation effects in biaxially stretched sheets. J. Engng. Mat. Tech. 102, 249–256.
- Needleman, A. (1988). Material rate dependence and mesh sensitivity in localization problems. Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Engng. 67, 69–85.
- Needleman, A. and Tvergaard, V. (1994). Mesh effects in the analysis of dynamic, ductile crack growth. Engng. Fracture Mech. 47, 75–91.
- Narasimhan, R. and Rosakis, A. J. (1990). Three-dimensional effects near a crack tip in a ductile three-point bend specimen: Part I-A numerical investigation. Trans. ASME J. Appl. Mech. 57, 607–617.
- Narasimhan, R., Rosakis, A. J. and Moran, B. (1992). A three-dimensional numerical investigation of fracture initiation by ductile failure mechanisms in a 4340 steel. Int. J. Fracture. 56, 1–24.
- Narasimhan, R. (1994). A numerical study of static and dynamic fracture initiation in a ductile material containing a dual population of second phase particles. Engng. Fracture Mech. 47, 919–948.
- Belytshko, T. (1983). In Computational Methods for Transient Analysis(edited by Belytshko, T. and Hughes, T. J. R), Elsevier, Amsterdam, p. 1.
- Nakamura, T., Shih, C. F. and Freund, L. B. (1986) Analysis of a dynamically loaded three-point bend ductile fracture specimen. Engng. Fracture Mech. 25, 333–339.
- Al-Ani, A. M. and Hancock, J. W. (1991). J-dominance of short cracks in tension and bending. J. Mech. Phys. Solids 29, 23–43.
- O'Dowd, N. P. and Shih, C. F. (1991). Family of crack-tip fields characterized by a triaxiality parameter – I. Structure of fields. J. Mech. Phys. Solids 39, 989–1015.
- O'Dowd, N. P. and Shih, C. F. (1992). Family of crack-tip fields characterized by a triaxiality parameter – II. Fracture applications. J. Mech. Phys. Solids 40, 939–963.
- Basu, S. and Narasimhan, R. (1999). A numerical investigation of loss of crack tip constraint in a dynamically loaded ductile specimen. To appear in J. Mech. Phys. Solids.
- Kanninen, M. F. and Popelar, C. H. (1985). Advanced fracture mechanics, Oxford University Press, pp. 550–551.
- Shih, C.F. (1981). Relationship between J-integral and the crack opening displacement for stationary and extending cracks. J. Mech. Phys. Solids 29, 305–326.
- A comparative study of dynamic, ductile fracture initiation in two specimen configurations
International Journal of Fracture
Volume 102, Issue 4 , pp 393-410
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- ductile fracture initiation
- finite elements
- microvoid coalescence
- specimen configuration.
- Industry Sectors