Prevalence of asthma among young men in a military recruitment office of South Italy
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The prevalence of asthma was studied in 3065 male 18 year-olds, examined in a southern Italy (Basilicata) military recruitment office. The disease was evaluated by questionnaires, pulmonary function tests and specialist diagnosis. The point prevalence of asthma was 1.4%. The disturbance was more frequent in high versus a low level of maternal education (OR: 3.70; 95% CI: 2.00–6.88), in high versus a low level of paternal education (OR: 2.71; 95% CI: 1.48–4.98), in urban residence versus rural residence (OR: 3.04; 95% CI: 1.61–5.75), in first-borns versus nonfirst-borns (OR: 2.46; 95% CI: 1.33–4.53). Home environment (dampness, heating, crowding) was not significantly correlated to asthma. This reported prevalence of asthma is low, compared with overall European and Italian data. The higher risk in urban areas and high level of education has been confirmed. The association between asthma and first-borns is interesting and needs further investigation, focusing on maternal issues like the low maternal age and the mother–child interaction.
- Woolcock AJ. Worldwide differences in asthma prevalence and mortality. Chest 1986 (Suppl); 90: 40s-45s.
- Asher MI, Pattemore PK, Harrison AC, et al. International comparison of the prevalence of asthma symptoms and bronchial hyperresponsiveness. Am Rev Respir Dis 1988; 138: 524–529.
- Charpin D, Vervloet D, Charpin J. Epidemiology of asthma in western Europe. Allergy 1988; 43: 481–492.
- Woolcock AJ. Epidemiologic methods for measuring prevalence of asthma. Chest 1987; 91(Suppl): 89s-92s.
- Burr ML, Butland BK, King S, et al. Changes in asthma prevalence: Two surveys 15 years apart. Arch Dis Child 1989; 64: 1452–1456.
- Lundback B, Stjernberg N, Nystrom L, et al. An interview study to estimate prevalence of asthma and chronic bronchitis. Eur J Epidemiol 1993; 9: 123–133.
- Charpin D, Hughes B, Mallea M, et al. Seasonal allergic symptoms and their relation to pollen exposure in southeast France. Clin Exp Allergy 1993; 23: 435–439.
- Norrman E, Rosenhall L, Nystrom L, et al. High prevalence of asthma and related symptoms in teenagers in northern Sweden. Eur Respir J 1993; 6: 834–839.
- Jarvis D, Lai E, Luczynska C, et al. Prevalence of asthma and asthma like-symptoms in young adults living in three east Anglian towns. Br J Gen Pract 1994; 44: 493–497.
- Paoletti P, Carmignani G, Viegi G, et al. Prevalence of asthma and asthma symptoms in a general population sample of north Italy. Eur Respir J (Suppl) 1989; 6: 527s-531s.
- De Marco R, Marinoni A, Bugiani M, et al. ECRHS nel nord Italia: Problemi metodologici in un'indagine multicentrica sulla prevalenza dell'asma. Epid Prev 1994; 18: 211–217.
- Viegi G, Baldacci S, Vellutini M, et al. Prevalence rates of diagnosis of asthma in general population samples of Northern and Central Italy. Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 1994; 49: 191–196.
- Bruce IN, Harland RW, McBrid NA, et al. Trends in the prevalence of asthma and dyspnoea in first year university students. Q J Med 1993; 86: 425–430.
- Aberg N. Asthma and allergic rhinitis in Swedish conscripts. Clin Exp Allergy 1989; 19: 59–63.
- Rimpela AH, Savonius B, Rimpela MK, et al. Asthma and allergic rhinitis among Finnish adolescents in 1977–1991. Scand J Soc Med 1995; 23: 60–65.
- Vondra V, Reisova M, Prazakova J, et al. Vyskyt bronchialniho astmatu, chronicke bronchitidy a bronchialni hyperreaktivity u dospelych obyvatel Prahy 8. Cas Lek Cesk 1993; 132: 113–118.
- Kivity S, Shochat Z, Bressler R, et al. The characteristics of bronchial asthma among a young adult population. Chest 1995; 108: 24–27.
- de Marco R, Verlato G, Zanolin E, et al. Nonresponse bias in EC respiratory health survey in Italy. Eur Respir J 1994; 7: 2139–2145.
- Chinn S, Zanolin E, Lai E, et al. Adjustment of reported prevalence of respiratory symptoms for nonresponse in a multi-centre health survey. Int J Epidemiol 1995; 24: 603–611.
- Dunn CE, Woodhouse J, Bhopal RS, et al. Asthma and factory emissions in northern England: Adressing public concern by combining geographical and epidemiological methods. J Epidemiol Community Health 1995; 49: 395–400.
- Castellsague J, Sunyer J, Saez M, et al. Short-term association between air pollution and emergency room visits for asthma in Barcelona. Thorax 1995; 50:1051–1056.
- Ponka A, Virtanen M. Asthma and ambient air pollution in Helsinki. J Epidemiol Community Health (Suppl) 1996; 50: 59s-62s.
- Littlejohns P, Macdonald LD. The relationship between severe asthma and social class. Respir Med 1993; 87: 139–143.
- Lewis S, Richards D, Bynner J, et al. Prospective study of risk factors for early and persistent wheezing in childhood. Eur Respir J 1995; 8: 349–356.
- Silva PA, Sears MR, Jones DT, et al. Some family social background, developmental, and behavioural characteristics of nine year old children with asthma. N Z Med J 1987; 100: 318–320.
- Le Roux P, Bourderont D, Loisel I, et al. Epidémiologie de l'asthme infantile dans la région du Le Havre. Arch Pediatr 1995; 2: 643–649.
- Evans R, Mullally DI, Wilson RW, et al. National trends in the morbidity and mortality of asthma in the US. Prevalence, hospitalization and death from asthma over two decades: 1965–1984. Chest 1987; 91(Suppl): 65s-74s.
- Ernst P, Demissie K, Joseph L, et al. Socioeconomic status and indicators of asthma in children. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1995; 152: 570–575.
- D'Amato G, Liccardi G, Cazzola M. Environment and development of respiratory allergy: I. Outdoors. Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 1994; 49: 406–411.
- Infante Rivard C. Young maternal age: A risk factor for childhood asthma? Epidemiology 1995; 6: 178–180.
- Stoudemire A. Psychosomatic theory and pulmonary disease. Asthma as a paradigm for the biopsychosocial approach. Adv Psychosom Med 1985; 14: 1–15.
- Donnelly E. Parents of children with asthma: An examination of family hardiness, family stressors, and family functioning. J Pediatr Nurs 1994; 9: 398–408.
- Prevalence of asthma among young men in a military recruitment office of South Italy
European Journal of Epidemiology
Volume 15, Issue 6 , pp 569-572
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Socioeconomic status
- Young adults
- Industry Sectors