Measuring Sexual Relationship Power in HIV/STD Research
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This article introduces a theoretically based and validated measure of relationship power dynamics: the Sexual Relationship Power Scale (SRPS). Focus groups were conducted to generate items for Spanish- and English-language scales. The SRPS was administered to a census of women (N = 388) at a community health clinic. All respondents had a primary male partner; they were mostly Latina (89%), with mean age 27 years. The 23-item SRPS possesses good internal reliability (coefficient alpha = .84 for English version, .88 for Spanish version) and predictive and construct validity. Factor analyses support two subscales: Relationship Control and Decision-Making Dominance. As hypothesized, the SRPS was inversely associated with physical violence and directly associated with education and consistent condom use (p < .05).
- Amaro, H. (1995) Love, sex, and power: Considering women's realities in HIV prevention. American Psychologist 50: pp. 437-447
- Amaro, H., Gornemann, I. (1992) HIV/AIDS related knowledge, attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors among Hispanics: Report of findings and recommendations. Boston University School of Public Health and Northeast Hispanic Consortium, Boston
- Blumstein, P., Schwartz, P. (1983) American couples: Money, work, sex. William Morrow, New York
- Campbell, C. A. (1995) Male gender roles and sexuality: Implications for women's AIDS risk and prevention. Social Science and Medicine 41: pp. 197-210
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (1998a). Guidelines for health education and risk reduction activities [http://aepo-xdv www.epo.cdc.gov/wonder/prevguid/p0000389/ body002.htm; last updated 12/28/98; visited 1/18/99].
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (1998b). The HIV/AIDS epidemic in the United States, 1997–8 (fact sheet) [http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/hiv—aids/pubs/facts/hivrepfs.htm, last updated December 28, 1998, visited on February 22, 1999].
- Connell, R. (1987) Gender and power. Stanford University Press, Stanford, CA
- Cronbach, L., Meehl, P. (1955) Construct validity in psychological tests. Psychological Bulletin 52: pp. 281-302
- De Bruyn, M. (1992) Women and AIDS in developing countries. Social Science and Medicine 34: pp. 249-262
- DeVellis, R. (1991) Scale development: Theory and application. Sage, Newbury Park, CA
- De Vincenzi, I. (1994) A longitudinal study of human immunodeficiency virus transmission by heterosexual partners. New England Journal of Medicine 331: pp. 341-347
- Dixon-Mueller, R. (1993) The sexuality connection in reproductive health. Studies in Family Planning 24: pp. 269-282
- Doak, C., Doak, L., Root, J. (1995) Teaching patients with low literacy skills. Lippincott, New York
- Ehrhardt, A., Wasserheit, J. Age, gender, and sexual risk behaviors for sexually transmitted diseases in the United States. In: Wasserheit, J., Aral, S., Holmes, K., Hitchcock, P. eds. (1991) Research issues in human behavior and sexually transmitted diseases in the AIDS era. American Society for Microbiology, Washington, DC, pp. 97-121
- Emerson, R. Exchange theory, Part II: Exchange relations and networks. In: Berger, J., Zelditch, M., Anderson, B. eds. (1972) Sociological theories in progress. Houghton Mifflin, Boston, pp. 58-87
- Emerson, R. M. Social exchange theory. In: Rosenberg, M., Turner, R. H. eds. (1981) Social psychology: Sociological perspectives. Basic Books, New York, pp. 30-65
- England, P. (1997, April). Conceptualizing women's empowerment. Paper presented at the Female Empowerment and Demographic Processes: Moving Beyond Cairo, Lund, Sweden.
- Felmlee, D. H. (1994) Who's on top? Power in romantic relationships. Sex Roles 31: pp. 275-295
- Fullilove, M., Fullilove, R., Haynes, K., Gross, S. (1990) Black women and AIDS prevention: A view towards understanding the gender rules. Journal of Sex Research 27: pp. 46-64
- Gage, A. J. (1997, April). Female empowerment and adolescent demographic behavior. Paper presented at the Female Empowerment and Demographic Processes: Moving Beyond Cairo, Lund, Sweden.
- Gómez, C., Marín, B. (1996) Gender, culture and power: Barriers to HIV prevention strategies for women. Journal of Sex Research 33: pp. 355-362
- Heise, L. L., Elias, C. (1995) Transforming AIDS prevention to meet women's needs: A focus on developing countries. Social Science and Medicine 40: pp. 931-943
- Kritz, M. M., Makinwa, P., & Gurak, D. T. (1997, April). Wife's empowerment and fertility in Nigeria: The role of context. Paper presented at the Female Empowerment and Demographic Processes: Moving Beyond Cairo, Lund, Sweden.
- Mann, J., Tarantola, D., Netter, T. eds. (1992) AIDS in the world. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA
- Miller, L. C., Burns, D. M., Rothspan, S. Negotiating safer sex: The dynamics of African-American relationships. In: Kalbfleisch, P., Cody, M. J. eds. (1995) Gender, power, and communication in human relationships. Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ, pp. 163-188
- Monahan, J. L., Miller, L. C., Rothspan, S. (1997) Power and intimacy: On the dynamics of risky sex. Health Communication 9: pp. 303-321
- Nunnally, J., Bernstein, I. (1994) Psychometric theory. McGraw-Hill, New York
- Peplau, L. A. Power in dating relationships. In: Freeman, J. eds. (1979) Women: A feminist perspective. Mayfield, Palo Alto, CA
- Rosenthal, R., Rosnow, R. (1991) Essentials of behavioral research: Methods and data analysis. McGraw-Hill, New York
- Wingood, G., DiClemente, R. (1998) Partner influences and gender-related factors associated with noncondom use among young adult African-American women. American Journal of Community Psychology 26: pp. 29-51
- Wingood, G. M., Hunter-Gamble, D., DiClemente, R. J. (1993) A pilot study of sexual communication and negotiation among young African-American women: Implications for HIV prevention. Journal of Black Psychology 19: pp. 190-203
- Worth, D. (1989) Sexual decision-making and AIDS:Why condom promotion among vulnerable women is likely to fail. Studies in Family Planning 20: pp. 297-307
- Yoder, J. D., Kahn, A. S. (1992) Toward a feminist understanding of women and power. Psychology of Women Quarterly 16: pp. 381-388
- Zierler, S., Krieger, N. (1989) Reframing women's risk: Social inequalities and HIV infection. Annual Review of Public Health 18: pp. 401-436
- Measuring Sexual Relationship Power in HIV/STD Research
Volume 42, Issue 7-8 , pp 637-660
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors