Prebiotic Synthesis of Nucleotides
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
If an RNA-only world preceded more complex forms oflife, then it is essential that the process wherebythe first nucleotides were made be considered. Presumably there were no enzymes and no templates tofacilitate the synthesis of the first nucleotides soanother form of chemical evolution must have beeninvolved. Answers to problems of this sort weresought vigorously in the 1960s and the early 1970s butmany issues were left unresolved. Progress made inthe last few years has added to this early work andbrings us closer to a satisfactory solution. In thisarticle key results, old and new, and some ideas as tohow further progress is likely to be made are discussed.There are reasons for optimism. Substantial progresshas been made on the synthesis of purines and ribose,phosphorylation and polyphosphorylation. Theoutstanding problems at this juncture relate to thesynthesis of ribose to the exclusion of the otheraldopentoses and to the problem of linking ribose tothe purine bases.
- Altman, S.: 1984, Aspects of Biochemical Catalysis, Cell 36, 237–239.
- Breslow, R.: 1959, On the Mechanism of the Formose Reaction, Tetrahedron Letters 21, 22–26.
- Butlerow, A: 1861, Formation of Monosaccharides from Formaldehyde, Compt. Redn. 53, 145–167.
- Cech, T., Zaug, A. J. and Grobowski, P. J.: 1981, In Vitro Splicing of the Ribosomal RNA Precursor of Tetrahymena: Involvement of a Guanosine Nucleotide in the Excision of the Intervening Sequence, Cell 27, 487–496.
- Crick, F. H. C.: 1968, The Origin of the Genetic Code, J. Mol. Biol. 38, 367–379.
- Fuller, W. D. Sanchez, R. A. and Orgel, L. E.: 1972, Studies in Prebiotic Synthesis, VII Solid-State Synthesis of Purine Nucleosides, J. Mol. Evol. 1, 249–257.
- Joyce, G. F.: 1989, RNA Evolution and the Origins of Life, Nature 338, 217–224.
- Langenbeck, W.: 1954, Neue Untersuchwigen über die Formaldehyde Kondensation, Angew. Chem. 66, 151–152.
- Lohrmann, R. and Orgel, L. E.: 1971, Urea-Inorganic Phosphate Mixtures as Prebiotic Phosphorylating Agents, Science 171, 490–494.
- Lohrmann, R.: 1977, Formation of Nucleoside-5′-Phosphoramidates under Potentially Prebiological Conditions, J. Mol. Evol. 10, 137–154.
- MUI Mizuno, T. and Weiss, A. H.: 1974, Synthesis and Utilization of Formose Sugars, Adv. Carb. Chem. 29, 173–227.
- Oro, J.: 1961, Mechanism of Synthesis of Adenine from Hydrogen Cyanide under Possible Primite Earth Conditions, Nature 191, 1193–1194.
- Rich, A.: 1958, Formation of Two-and Three-Stranded Helical Molecules by Polyinosinic Acid and Polyadenylic Acid, Nature 181, 521–525.
- Riemann, R. and Zubay, G.: 1999, Nucleoside Phosphorylation: A Feasible Step in the Prebiotic Pathway to RNA, Origins of Life and Evolution of the Biosphere 29, 229–247.
- Zubay, G.: 1998, Studies on the Lead-Catalyzed Synthesis of Aldopentoses, Origins of Life and Evolution of the Biosphere 28, 13–26.
- Prebiotic Synthesis of Nucleotides
Origins of life and evolution of the biosphere
Volume 31, Issue 1-2 , pp 87-102
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- chemical evolution
- formose reaction
- hydrogen cyanide
- prebiotic synthesis
- ribonucleic acid
- Industry Sectors