Ethical and Unethical Bargaining Tactics: An Empirical Study
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Competitive negotiators frequently use tactics which others view as "unethical", in that these tactics either violate standards of truth telling or violate the perceived rules of negotiation. This paper sought to determine how business students viewed a number of marginally ethical negotiating tactics, and to determine the underlying factor structure of these tactics. The factor analysis of these tactics revealed five clear factors which were highly similar across the two samples, and which parallel (to a moderate degree) categories of tactics proposed by earlier theory. Data from one sample also permitted comparisons of the appropriateness of certain tactics across gender, nationality, ethnic origin and perception of one's negotiating style.
- Anton, R. J.: 1990, ‘Drawing the Line: An Exploratory Test of Ethical Behavior in Negotiation’, The International Journal of Conflict Management 1(3), 265–280.
- Ash, P.: 1991, The Construct of Employee Theft Proneness (SRA/London House, Park Ridge, IL).
- Bies, R.: 1989, ‘Managing Conflict Before It Happens: The Role of Accounts’, in M. A. Rahim (ed.), Managing Conflict: An Interdisciplinary Approach (Praeger, New York), pp. 83–91.
- Bok, S. L.: 1978, Lying: Moral Choice in Public and Private Life(Pantheon, New York).
- Brown, B. R.: 1968, ‘The Effects of Need to Maintain Face on Interpersonal Bargaining’, Journal of Experimental Social Psychology 4, 107–122.
- Carson, T.: 1993, ‘Second Thoughts about Bluffing’, Business Ethics Quarterly 3(4).
- Chertkoff, J. M. and S. L. Baird: 1971, ‘Applicability of the Big Lie Technique and the Last Clear Chance Doctrine in Bargaining’, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 20, 298–303.
- Cohen, H.: 1980, You Can Negotiate Anything(Lyle Stuart, Secaucus, NJ).
- Crampton, Peter C. and J. Gregory Dees: 1993,’ Promoting Honesty in Negotiation’, Business Ethics Quarterly 3(4).
- Forsyth, D.: 1980, ‘A Taxonomy of Ethical Ideologies’, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 39, 175–184.
- French, J. R. P. and B. Raven: 1959, ‘The Bases of Social Power’, in D. Cartwright (ed.), Studies in Social Power(Institute for Social Research, Ann Arbor, MI).
- Guttman, L.: 1954, ‘Some Necessary Conditions for Common Factor Analysis’, Psychometrika 19, 149–161.
- “Hey Ma, Get Me A Lawyer!”, Newsweek, October 30, l989, p. 10.
- Hollinger, R. C. and J. P. Clark: 1983, Theft by Employees(D.C. Heath, Lexington, MA).
- Karrass, C.: 1974, Give and Take(Thomas Y. Crowell, New York).
- Lax, D. A. and J. K. Sebenius: 1986, The Manager as Negotiator(Free Press, New York).
- Lewicki, R. J.: 1983, ‘Lying and Deception: A Behavioral Model’, in M. H. Bazerman and R. J. Lewicki (eds.), Negotiating in Organizations(Sage Publications, Beverly Hills, CA).
- Lewicki, R. J., J. Litterer, J. Minton and D. Saunders: 1994, Negotiation. Second Edition (Richard D. Irwin, Burr Ridge, IL).
- Lewicki, R. J. and G. Spencer: 1991, Ethical relativism and negotiating tactics: Factors affecting their perceived ethicality. Paper presented at the Academy of Management, Miami, August 1991.
- Lewicki, R. J. and N. Stark: 1996, ‘What's Ethically Appropriate in Negotiations: An Examination of Negotiation Ethics’, Social Justice Research 9(1), 69–95.
- Lewicki, R. J., T. Poland, J. Minton and B. H. Sheppard: 1997, ‘Deviance as Dishonesty: A Typology of Workplace Dishonesty and Key Contributing Factors’, in R. J. Lewicki, R. Bies and B. H. Sheppard (eds.), Research on Negotiation in Organizations 7, in preparation.
- Mintzberg, H.: 1973, The Nature of Managerial Work (Harper and Row, New York).
- Murphy, K. R.: 1993, Honesty in the Workplace(Brooks Cole, Pacific Grove, CA).
- Pfeffer, J.: 1993, Managing with Power(Harvard Business School Press, Cambridge, MA).
- Robinson, R., J., R. J. Lewicki and E. Donohue: 1996, Extending and testing a five factor model of ethical and unethical bargaining tactics: Introducing the SINS scale. Paper presented to the International Association of Conflict Managment, Ithaca, NY.
- Rummel, R. J.: 1970, Applied Factor Analysis (Northwestern University Press, Evanston, IL).
- Staw, B.: 1979, ‘Rationality and Justification in Organizational Life’, in B. M. Staw and L. L. Cummings (eds.), Research in Organizational Behavior 2, 45–80.
- Stevens, J.: 1992, Applied Multivariate Statistics for the Social Sciences. Second Edition (Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, N.J.).
- Trevino, L. K., K. D. Butterfield and D. L. McCabe: 1996, ‘The Ethical Context in Organizations: Influences on Employee Attitudes and Behavior’, Business Ethics Quarterly, in press.
- Watson, C.: 1994, ‘Gender Differences in Negotiating Behavior and Outcomes: Fact or Artifact?’, in A. Taylor and J. Beinstein-Miller (eds.), Conflict and Gender(Hampton Press, Inc., Cresskill, NJ), pp. 191–210.
- Ethical and Unethical Bargaining Tactics: An Empirical Study
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 17, Issue 6 , pp 665-682
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors