The effect of heat-treatment on the grain-size of nanodisperse plasmathermal silicon nitride powder
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Nanodisperse silicon nitride has been synthesized by vapor phase reaction of silicon tetrachloride and ammonia in a thermal plasma reactor and crystallized at temperatures 1250, 1350, 1450 and 1500°C. The average grain-size and the dislocation density of the samples were determined by the recently developed modified Williamson-Hall and Warren-Averbach procedures from X-ray diffraction profiles. A new numerical method provided log-normal grain-size distributions from the size parameters derived from X-ray diffraction profiles. It has been shown that the average grain-size in the amorphous phase is lower than that observed in the crystalline fraction. On the other hand, the average grain-size in the crystalline fraction decreases up to 1450°C while it increases during heat-treatment at 1500°C. The size distribution and the area-weighted average grain-size obtained by X-rays were in good agreement with those determined by TEM and from the specific surface area, respectively. The dislocation density was found to be of the order of 1014 and 1015 m−2.
- J. SzpÉvÖlgyi and I. Mohai, Ceram. Int. 25 (1999) 711.
- G. Ziegler, J. Heinrich and G. WÖtting, J. Mat. Sci. 22 (1987) 3041.
- G. Petzow and R. Sersale, Pure and Applied Chemistry 59 (1987) 1674.
- J. SzÉpvÖlgyi and I. Mohai, in “Engineering Ceramics'96: Higher Reliability through Processing,” edited by G. N. Babini et al. (Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 1997) p. 89.
- F. Cambier, A. Leriche, E. Gilbart, R. J. Brook and F. L. Riley, in “The Physics and Chemistry of Carbides, Nitrides and Borides,” edited by R. Freer (Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 1990) p. 13.
- C. E. Krill and R. Birringer, Phil. Mag. A 77 (1998) 621.
- T. UngÁr and A. BorbÉly, Appl. Phys. Lett. 69 (1996) 3173.
- T. UngÁr, S. Ott, P. Sanders, A. BorbÉly and J. R. Weertman, Acta Mater. 46 (1998) 3693.
- T. UngÁr, I. Dragomir, Á. RÉvÉsz and A. BorbÉly, J. Appl. Cryst. 32 (1999) 992.
- M. Wilkens, Phys. Stat. Sol. (a) 104 (1987) K1.
- I. Groma, T. UngÁr and M. Wilkens, J. Appl. Cryst. 21 (1988) 47.
- P. Klimanek and R. Kuzel Jr., ibid. 21 (1988) 59.
- R. Kuzel Jr. and P. Klimanek, ibid. 21 (1988) 363.
- T. UngÁr, A. BorbÉly, G. R. Goren-Muginstein, S. Berger and A. R. Rosen, Nanostructured Materials 11 (1999) 103.
- J. SzpÉvÖlgyi and I. Mohai, J. Mater. Chem. 5 (1995) 1227.
- J. SzpÉvÖlgyi, F. L. Riley, I. Mohai, I. Bertoti and E. Gilbart, ibid. 6 (1996) 1175.
- C. P. Gazzara and D. R. Messier, Ceram. Bull. 56 (1977) 777.
- N. Camuscu, D. P. Thompson and H. Mandal, J. European Ceram. Soc. 17 (1997) 599.
- M. Wilkens and H. Eckert, Z. Naturforschung 19a (1964) 459.
- B. C. Lippenca and M. A. Hermanns, Powd. Met. 7 (1961) 66.
- A. Guinier, “X-ray Diffraction” (Freeman, San Francisco, CA, 1963).
- T. UngÁr and G. Tichy, Phys. Stat. Sol. (a) 171 (1999) 425.
- CH.-M. Wang, X. Pan, M. Ruehle, F. L. Riley and M. Mitomo, J. Mater. Sci. 31 (1996) 5281.
- K. Rajan and P. Sajgalik, J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 17 (1997) 1093.
- B. E. Warren, Progr. Metal Phys. 8 (1959) 147.
- M. Rand, J. I. Langford and J. S. Abell, Phil. Mag. B 68 (1993) 17.
- A. J. C. Wilson, “X-ray Optics” (Methuen, London 1962).
- CH. D. Terwilliger and Y. M. Chiang, J. Am. Ceram Soc. 78 (1995) 2045.
- The effect of heat-treatment on the grain-size of nanodisperse plasmathermal silicon nitride powder
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 35, Issue 15 , pp 3711-3717
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of General Physics, Eötvös University, Budapest, P.O. Box 32, H-1518, Hungary
- 2. Research Laboratory of Materials and Environmental Chemistry, Chemical Research Center, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Pusztaszeri út 59-67, Budapest, H-1025, Hungary
- 3. Department of General Physics, Eötvös University, Budapest, P.O. Box 32, H-1518, Hungary